DCC Archive old-fashioned...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I miss the good old sound of "analog" keyboards... it's very rare to hear a Fender Rhodes or Mini Moog sounds on Rock records today.
    I have watched Dream Theater's Live DVD Live Scenes From NY... their keyboard player Jordan Rudess plays only ONE keyboard to create all kind of sounds... amazing! I still remember to Keith Emerson (ELP), Rick Wakeman (Yes) or Geoff Downes (Asia)... they had a huge arsenal of keyboards on stage!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I always thought those multi keyboard guys did the "multi keyboard" thing just for show. Ohhhh look at me! I can twirl around in my cape and make it look like hard work!

;)

Don't get me wrong, though ... I LIKE keyboards in music.

By the way, Fireblade, one of my favorite keyboard related albums is Klaus Schultz - Timewind. Do you know if it's worth getting the CD (importing it to Canada) or should I stick to the vinyl?

And I wish they'd re-release Triumvirat on CD. They are VERY hard to find!

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

3. Unknown

Hey Gary, if you can play like Jordan Rudess, you have a second career available! :D

I saw that guy in a restaurant before the DT show in Cincy back in the day (Feb 00). Which reminds me, the Dregs are going on tour again and everyone who reads this should attend:
    http://www.stevemorse.com/tour.html

4. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Hey Patrick, from some of your other posts, I'd have to guess your a Dregs fan. COOL ! Have you heard The Great Spectacular ? If so what do you think of it ? I was glad to see Steve release this on CD, it's definitely a favorite along with Night Of The Living Dregs. Happy Listening ! ED :)

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

6. Unknown

Ed, you have great taste. :)

I bought "The Great Spectacular" a few years ago when I saw SMB play in Dayton (on my birthday, no less). They were selling for $25 with no tax, and all original autographs. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I like it pretty well. (BTW, an original LP just sold on ebay.) I particularly like "Kathreen" -- anytime Steve plays something acoustic, I always dig it. I think he could have been a Baroque composer in another life. My favorite release of theirs is probably "Bring 'em Back Alive" for the super energetic performances that really bring those tunes alive in a way their studio releases didn't. Best studio album? Probably "What If." Favorite song? Probably "Odyssey" -- love that acoustic break in the middle.

I've seen SMB twice, and The Dregs once (opening for DT). They (Dregs) were absolutely phenomenal, but they only got to play for 45 minutes. Seeing Steve and Jerry Goodman trade licks was mind-blowing. I'm planning to catch the Dayton show in December. In the meantime, I'm seeing Leo Kottke this Thursday. Woo-hoo! :cool:

7. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Thanks for the compliment Patrick. What can you say about the Dregs; great band, great writing and VERY talent players. Steve Morse is a great guitar player, so talented. I really enjoyed High Tension Wires when it came out, still do to this day. His recent Major Impacts was cool, fun to listen to. Between Deep Purple, Dregs Reunions and The Steve Morse Band, I have to wonder if the guy ever sleeps ! Have a good a good time at the Kotke show. Later, ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.