Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. George P

George P Way Down Now

Thanks for the info, Steve!

I wonder if, working together, we (this forum) can figure out how to identify those Disraeli masterings. I can provide info on my copy later.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I had all three at one time, no more, sadly. The second one on Polydor was the best: A nice, neutral transfer DENNIS DRAKE transfer of the warts & all Atlantic stereo master mix by Tom Dowd.

Gardo and George P like this.
  3. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I see, and how very interesting. From a technical standpoint then I was completely wrong :) . I understand your first comment now. I am a sociologist by trade so defining decades by societal changes are much more blurred compared to using technology as a reference point.

May I kindly ask for a spotlight that makes a reference to changes in recording technology and subsequent change in sounds?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, because of the increase in channels, the mixing of 70s stuff is more subtle, the echo toned way down (like on a Linda Ronstadt record, hardly any) and the laid-back result combined with the middle decade Disco stuff of course caused the Punk Rock late 1970s sonic changes and ultimately the 1980s fake drum overkill sound that we all cringe at today.

billnunan and Dave like this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've always thought the upper end was a little "de-emphasized", right from the original LP I had in 1968, but it was a mastering decision, not a defect.

6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh: I never realized that your avatar is Ginger Baker. I've always assumed that it was a picture of you, tommyboy! :laugh:

dirtymac, garrincha, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Aunt Madeline ? Is that you ?

8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Crap. Once I saw the cover I realized I had that CD in my collection a loooong time ago. I probably got rid of a bunch really good sounding discs over the years for "better" remastered versions :) Oh well, lesson learned.

Carl Swanson and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

This is really interesting to me. Can I just pick any Linda Ronstadt recording from the 70s or do you have a specific recording or recordings in mind? If you could give examples of typical recordings for each technological change that would be helpful and interesting.

Where do I put bands like Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and The Smiths in the timeline of technological change?

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yes dear! Give us a kiss!

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm a little younger and not as miserable. Some may debate that!

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for the tip on this Steve. Mine arrived today. I have many Cream comps but this one tops them all.
    I got the West Germany version. Manufactured by PDO in center hub all silver. EAC values...97.5, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 96.7, 92.7, 100, 100, 88.1.
    I am hearing nuances in the guitar parts that I did not recognize before.
    Thanks again!

13. Rose River Bear

It is a cut below the Drake Very best of but IMO it is decent sounding.

gorangers and bhazen like this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

One thing I find interesting is how the technological change can drive sociological change. In aspects I feel that technological change gives much more precise reference points for sociological change than the more nominal definitions by decades.

Ric-Tic likes this.
  15. George P

George P Way Down Now

So I guess you could say it is the cream of the crop? :D

Rose River Bear likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

I compared them and I don't think I can argue your opinion. Maybe not "destroy" but the SHM SACDs are pretty amazing sounding. I have not heard the 24/192 versions but I have all of the SHM SACDs.

17. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Cool, I have a witness!

As nice as the Drake remaster sounds (I had it for a long period of time) the SHM SACDs are just spot on. They are flat transfers from the original
    reels and they sound as analog as digital is going to.

The 192 Khz downloads are crazy good, but I must warn they are clearly more compressed loudness wise. They sound vibrant, and you hear
    what sounds like a live acid rock band. There is a lot of romanticizing about this or that mastering from back in the day, but things move on, and ADCs
    and mastering chains improve and in the hands of the RIGHT people, that is a big plus.. No do doubt that Drake had the right idea and is a real mencsh. No compression, clean chain, and a great pair of ears.

18. Rose River Bear

I agree. I hear some low frequency and mid range stuff on the SACD that does not come out on the Drake version. It has nothing to do with the SHM SACD being goosed either because both of them sound about the same dynamics wise.
    Like you said, mastering chains improve.

19. ServingTheMusic

Yes, and a natural crunch to the guitars that make them sound like overloaded cabinets (which they were!) and the syncopation between the bass drum and bass...much more locked in.

20. Rose River Bear

On a couple of the songs from Fresh Cream, I hear the bass drum clearly on the SHM SACD compared to the cuts on the Drake comp. At first I wasn't sure what I was hearing that was different but I realized it was the bass drum in the stereo mix that I was not hearing on the Drake cuts.
    Still, the Drake comp is the best sounding comp I have.

21. ServingTheMusic

....and Ginger Baker's bass drum(s) style is very distinctive..was probably very difficult to record.

22. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

That photo of Ginger always reminds me of old man Albert Steptoe.

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. ServingTheMusic

FOr the
    For the record here are the notes for the Cream 24/192 masterings:

"Transfers and Mastering by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, NYC

All digital files were mastered directly from the original analogue tapes using a custom-made analog transferring console and native hi resolution digital converters.

Tape research and remastering supervision by Bill Levenson."

For several of the Japanese SHM SACDs:

"Reissue with SHM-SACD format. Features 2013 DSD remastering, using the UK original master tapes."

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, :laugh:

Isn't that Paul's grandfather in A Hard Days Night?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I think we're in the same classroom.

Duke Fame likes this.