Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

My Polydor CD was pressed in West Germany with the matrix ending in 03. The credits state that it was mastered by Dennis M. Drake.

Imagine70 and tmtomh like this.
  2. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

oh I have that vn. already, bought the CD in a local store many years ago, they've probably gone to the wall since.. spend way too much time (& money) on discogs and for the most part I like it.. but it can be a bit like eBay crossed with Wikipedia, the info's only as good as the seller/user contributing the data to the various listings and some sellers/users contributions are more accurate than others (being diplomatic!).. anyway, thanks for your help and belated Merry Chrimbo to you and yours :)

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

IIRC I seen WG's with 04's for this album as well.

4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I've had this one since the early 90s. I'll have to go dig it out and give it a listen. Thanks for the recommendation Steve!

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have that original CD too, Steve. Great album and sound.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A search here shows recommendations going back to 2005.

7. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

I've got this one, you are right Steve it's really good. I've also got Wheels of fire & Fresh Cream
    all mastered by Drake. They all sound good.

Merry Christmas to all !

8. Waylon9

Waylon9 Forum Resident

This one just makes me laugh and think that maybe my taste in sound isn't too far off! I've had that exact CD for years and have always thought it was among the best sounding Cream audio I have ever had across multiple formats. Thanks Steve!

9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Can only agree with Steve here: Your to-go Cream.
    Nice, beefy sound, full-on bass.

Wally Swift likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

Did Drake also master the early Polydor Disraeli Gears?

11. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip Steve! :righton:

12. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

The first Cream album I bought way back when I was in high school.

13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I've heard great things about many of the early Cream CDs, especially the ones mastered by Dennis Drake. Never heard them myself but I shall acquire them some day!

14. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

I've had that one for years. It was probably being sold at a discount at one of those old stores like Lechmere back in the day. It says Made in USA and also says Stigwood Group/Polydor Hamburg, but it clearly states that it was mastered by Dennis Drake so I hope I have the right one! Thought it sounded good. In fact, I compared it to an old vinyl version of Wheels of Fire ATCO SD 2-700 and thought they sounded similar which surprised me because I had expected the vinyl to sound better. I'm glad to know this information and Merry Christmas to you too, Steve!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Myke likes this.
  16. Thanks for the tip Steve. Merry Christmas!

17. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Thanks for thinking of us Steve - merry Christmas :)

bhazen likes this.
  18. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have an Australian Polydor pressing of this - 811639-2, (P) 1983 Unlike the US printing Steve referenced, the title on the spine is in all capitals.

Dennis M Drake gets a mastering credit on the inside cover (what you look at when you open the jewel case). It appears in the bottom block of text,on the second-last line of column two (not counting the last line which appears to have some numbers in a light-weight font). This text is printed in about four-point, and the printer appears to have copied it from CD artwork printed overseas, as it is lacks detail and is extremely hard to read. I had to get an illuminated magnifier, and then it was hard to read.

I obtained my copy about six months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Yes, I paid $1 for it, and the money also went to charity (an Op-Shop find)!

Here is what the cover looks like:

[​IMG]

Thanks to Steve for letting us know about this.
    And a happy new year to all.

RiRiIII likes this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm happy with the DCC (Fresh Cream, Wheels of Fire) and Universal Japan SHM-SACDs (Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire). I remember me Fresh Cream was one of the first DCC Gold discs (long box) with great artwork reproduction.

PhantomStranger and Macman like this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Was this album originally released in LP form? The track list is so stingy, made me wonder ...

I've always "listened past" Jack's dodgy bass intonation; but now that Steve's pointed it out ... geez. Thanks Steve. :D

FWIW, I have a W. German Polydor CD of Goodbye (823 660-2) with Dennis M. Drake credited as remasterer; it's delightfully "organic" (i.e., as grungy as your compost pile.)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That UK pressed version looks bronzed. Sometimes, bronzed CDs play, but sometimes not.

22. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I think I've an Australian pressing of this CD somewhere. I certainly have the original 1983 RSO vinyl LP but I seem to remember some of the tracks being very hissy, like they were from multiple-generation tapes

23. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm curious - how does this mastering compare to our host's DCC disks?

I've assumed (from the glowing reports here) that the DCC's are the "gold standard" for Cream. Unfortunately, the DCC Cream's have been outside of my reach, so I can't compare. Based on Steve's recommendation, I would think that the Dennis Drake mastering would have to be of a similar caliber to the DCC. But there would have to be differences. Does anyone have both and could share a comparison?

24. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I hate to be this guy, but could someone who has this exact CD please post the EAC or DR peak values?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Robert C likes this.