Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

As I said, anything before 1987 is dicey.

389 Tripower likes this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

It is possible the CD may first have been released in 1987 and not in 1985/1986? I have the recollection of first getting mine as a kid in Nov 1987.

4. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

My cd is either a CH or BMG record club issue, can't find it at the moment.
    But it is the Drake mastering, I do know that.
    He also did a nice job with the Sing It Again Rod (Stewart) compilation cd, also a record club cd issue.
    I found these for like $0.50 each at my local thrift store in mint condition, and they sound great!

5. Steve Hoffman

My Polydor THE VERY BEST OF CREAM CD is made in USA by PDO 01 x6

MedozK, Jack_Straw and George P like this.
  6. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Merry Christmas Steve, that's a good call. I picked up this CD for pennies a while back after a recommendation on this very site.
    To be honest I've learned to take Dennis Drake's name as a trademark of quality when it comes to picking up back catalogue CDs, I don't think he's let me down yet.
    I'm playing 'Badge' now, top stuff!
    NP

7. Jason Pumphrey

I'm glad the compilation used the album versions of white room and Sunshine of Your Love, as I thought the single versions were not good edits the first place.
    Still, 12 tracks is a nice amount considering they only had 4 official albums in the first place, live cream one and two do not count since they were released later.
    Spoonful and Anyone for Tennis? were nice to have on this, since they were not on the original American Atco LP's.

8. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Ordered as well. Thanks for the recommendation! This and the new Alien trailer made my Christmas!

9. Jason Pumphrey

When I first listened to this cd, it is the first time I noticed the jingle sounds on Sunshine of Your Love.
    My guess is Ginger Baker had a tambourine bar attached to his hi-hat.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

11. By the way, this CD was not released in 1983, that is the release year of the original vinyl compilation. The CD version was released in 1987. That is also in line with the 811 catalog numbering.

ricks, ronm, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  12. So, which mastering of the three I have posted earlier does this version have? I am quite sure it is different from the US mastering, since this was often the case and Steve also has mentioned something along these lines (not to get the German version, for example). I am pretty sure that this version from France has the same mastering as the early (West) Germany CD release.

13. Steve Hoffman

Not exactly. The label looks the same, no inner ring, same PDO but the matrix section is (backwards, of course) 811 639-2 01 and an X type symbol, then X6. stamped over that etched ring.

So many different versions of this on CD from around the same decade. It's so crazy.

I'm pretty sure that anything after 1986 is Dennis Drake mastering, either a clone of it or whatever. I'm sure that anything before 1987 is from the LP copy dub tape made from British dubs. Doesn't mean they will sound bad but the Dennis Drake versions, from 1987 until about 1992, all use the newly discovered Atlantic stash... Doesn't mean the sound suddenly gets wonderful, but the hiss goes down.

rjstauber likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

My Made In W. Germany By PDO "silver face" has these same EAC peak levels. Matrix # ends with -01. The booklet indicates Mastered FOR COMPACT DISC by Dennis M. Drake at Polygram Studios, Printed in West Germany. Wunnerful sound.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Plan9 and Imagine70 like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

I think the issue is that Dennis Drake mastered the LP version as well. Look, I was an early CD buyer and I have Gears, etc. on early CD. Then, when the Atlantic stuff was found, in 1987 everything had a silent upgrade (compare that to the screaming DIGITALLY REMASTERED!! tag of today). It's probably true that the Very Best Of Cream had that silent upgrade as well. Not that big a deal, just hiss levels, etc. went down. The tone stayed the same.

I'm sure none would win any prize for best sound of the '60s..

showtaper likes this.
  16. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

My copy is Polydor "Made in USA" but the number on it is P2-11639. Per Discogs, looks like it is the Columbia House version, year unknown.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

18. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

19. Jason Pumphrey

Mine is the same, still has that great Drake mastering, that's what matters the most.

Anyone know if Drake mastered the Bee Gees Polydor's?

20. Myke

Discogs likely does.

21. Sometimes, these silent CD remasters have enough of a difference in the total playing time to use that as a safe indication of the mastering. For example, some of these early Allman Brothers CD's have a timing difference of around 15 or 20 seconds. Even 5 seconds time difference would be enough. Not every CD player displays the playing time of a certain CD exactly the same, usually you get a 2 second difference from player to player.

Steve, maybe if you find time to post the total running time of your CD, that would be a good starting point, if you have the time.

If other masterings have enough of a timing difference, we might be able to sort this out. I would be interested in it.

22. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

23. Jason Pumphrey

At least they had the sense to leave Wrapping Paper off this compilation, horrid song, how it got released as a single A side is beyond me?

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Myke

@CraigC - Haven't quite mastered the art of quoting, huh ?

All 55 copies have been sold.