Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Lol. I quoted but then went back to read some more....got screwy

Thanks for the info.

Myke likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Lucidae likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

In all likelihood that is more than they moved in the past few years. Amazon.com likes this thread.

5. Myke

I knew somebody would assume that about the eBay listing I mentioned, and to which @CraigC was referring. 54 were already sold before I got there, minutes after Steve posted.
    As I said above, recommendations here go back as far as 2005.

6. eelkiller

Sorry I misread the quote, in this case the Ebay seller likes this thread's original post.

7. Myke

Yep. He sold me his last copy.
    eBay.com Item Purchase History »

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Anybody who wants one of these CDs, just check your local thrift stores or used CD shops, almost guarantee that you'll find one at a nice price.
    It's a pretty common cd compilation in the cd used bins.

Dave and George P like this.
  9. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I've always loved this CD, it was my first Cream CD, bought from Columbia House for 1/10 of a cent on the introductory deal. Sounds great, and it really does have the bare minimum "best of Cream".

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  10. Jason Pumphrey

The CREAM of the crop.:thumbsup:

cublowell likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Bought this CD version in the early 90's when I started working at a record store. Loved it then, love it now. I just played this last month and remember thinking how good it sounded. Great little comp and I actually dig the cover as well.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  12. Jason Pumphrey

Spinning as I write this post, I usually prefer chronological order on comps, but the sequencing on this one is top notch.
    [​IMG]

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Mine is a Canadian pressing 811 639-2 , matrix reads mfg by cinram 920213D 811639-2, no IFPI markings either. Sounds awesome. Spinning now, and the Drake credit is there.

Dave likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I realize you can't see the matrix on this Ebay shot, however does yours look similar to this one? Thanks.
    The very best of Cream strange brew - CD Compact Disc »

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes matches 100%

Do you know what this means, seller stated in the description: STK=3064

Is that part of the matrix in his CD?

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Any reason to believe the Canadian Cinram CD wouldn't sound the same as the USA PDO CD?

17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Further info on my Australian pressing (quoted above).

The inside cover posted by Jason (quoted above) is the same design as my Australian pressing and Drake's credit is in the bottom panel. However, the text on the Australian cover is in brown (not black), and very indistinct (reinforcing my supposition that the Australian cover was copied from an existing cover, and it appears that they have saved money by not printing a black plate).

The disk label is silver with black print, with a clear inner hub. The Polydor logo is printed at the top, with the title (not including "Strange Brew"). The left of the hub has info on the compilation (P) 1983, marketing info and "Made in Australia". To the right of the hub is the CD logo and 811 639-2. Track listing appears below the hub in bold caps, with "See Inlay for Details" in bold at the bottom.

Here are the peak levels, measured by EAC:

Track 1 - Peak level 84.1 %
    Track 2 - Peak level 86.6 %
    Track 3 - Peak level 86.6 %
    Track 4 - Peak level 92.1 %
    Track 5 - Peak level 86.2 %
    Track 6 - Peak level 88.0 %
    Track 7 - Peak level 87.3 %
    Track 8 - Peak level 82.2 %
    Track 9 - Peak level 80.2 %
    Track 10 - Peak level 97.1 %
    Track 11 - Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 12 - Peak level 85.9 %​

The hub has the following:
    MADE BY DISCTRONICS B. **811639-2** #01.

18. Rick,

I think there are at least 3 different early masterings available for this CD, see the info I had posted earlier. Two of them seem to be related (= level-shifted version), but there is a later US CD pressing which has a different mastering (the first version I have posted). I am assuming that there was a secret remaster being done. I am wondering if the sound differs much between these versions. What is the playing time of your CD (in EAC)?

19. CD Banzai, I haven't heard that name in a long time. It use to be one of my favorite CD only stores back in the late 80's, early 90's.

20. eelkiller

Stock number I bet, he has more than one copy.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The French guy who ran the place, he was a fan of Ray Charles when I was working on that stuff and we talked all the time. CD Banzi was THE import store for me, got my Beach Boys PASTMASTERS there, all the true stereo Stones CD's, etc. Loved that place.

There was another good import CD store, was it on Pico, near the mall, on the other side of the street? Heck, can't remember the name.

Plan9 likes this.
  22. Myke

A quick search of his store reveals three CDs, and one cassette of this title.

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

43:52 is the time on my copy

supermd likes this.
  24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Another digital clone of the "Made In W. Germany By PDO" version (EAC peak levels 97.5/100/100/100/100/100/100/96.7/92.7/100/100/88.1/Total Time = 43:52.23) is the US version with "Made In USA" on the clear plastic hub and matrix # 811 639-2 07% LC.

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

43:52.23