Old Rega Planar 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by healter skealter, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I'm considering replacing my TT-PSU with the NEO. Do you think it is worth it ?

2. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal Thread Starter

This thread has more inscrutable acronyms than Line Of Duty :D

The belt & cartridge haven't arrived yet, but I'm now pretty sure most of the speed issue is the belt - out of curiosity, I timed the RPMs on the 33 notch, and it was 27...so I predicted the 45 notch would be around 37, but no, it was 46! Bigger notch = slightly tighter belt, see? :tiphat:

Jimi Floyd and Randoms like this.
  3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

My mate replaced the TT-PSU on his P6 with the NEO and was pleased with the improvement.

Now Rega use the 24v motor across the range there were many takers for the TT-PSU.

@healter skealter, TT-PSU is ... turntable power supply as is obviously NEO!

PhxJohn and healter skealter like this.
  4. Randoms

I have never come across one that loose!! Good news, cheap fix.

How does the bias dial feel?

healter skealter likes this.
  5. healter skealter

It's set at around 1.75, and having read what I've read about it, I AM NOT TOUCHING IT WITH A BARGEPOLE!

I picked up a car boot Dual 506 for a tenner last year, and that belt was even looser! Been using it ever since, great little deck :edthumbs:

Randoms likes this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Thank you for the info. The P1 and P2 do not have the input for a TT-PSU or NEO. The 24 volt motor upgrade kits do have the input.

Rega | Neo PSU – advanced turntable power supply

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Randoms likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My old example has the 24v motor, and does have the TT-PSU and the Groovetracer subplatter installed.

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I put a new Black belt on my Rega as I think I mentioned. I also oiled the platter bearing. Generously so that it takes some time for the Groovetracer Reference subplatter to float down and seat. My Rega comes up to speed with no assistance in 1/2 revolution.

9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Mine too. Really makes an improvement.

McLover likes this.
  10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

It is easy to go past the point of diminishing returns. I acquired a P2 last summer and investigated numerous tweaks, settling on those that were cheap.

My thoughts:

Investigate a more secure mounting for the motor. Could need to be cleaned and lubed. There is a motor bearing upgrade that is inexpensive and improves performance. A small ball bearing is secured to the bottom of the motor spindle- to essentially lift the motor spindle free of the bottom. Result is a more quiet running motor.

Investigate a new inner platter. Most of the metal inner platters available are much better than the cast resin ip used by rega. Result is greater speed stability and bass response.

Investigate damping of the bearing well, and motor. There are several vendors that offer pvc or rubber damping rings/cups that slip over the exterior of the assemblies. Result is a more quiet background.

Investigate installing a brace between the spindle bearing hub and the tonearm mounting . This adds stability and strength to the assemblies, and results in better bass, and cleaner treble.

More expensive tweaks would include a newer tone arm (rewired 250 or 300), and an upgraded motor assembly.

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Yes, for the speed control it is a must. It is NOT just another TT-PSU, which did not have that feature.

PhxJohn likes this.
  13. healter skealter

That's interesting. I removed the subplatter the day I got it, to see what was going on down in the well. When I replaced it, it just bounced back up at me...eventually I managed to push the air out, but does this imply it's already adequately lubed if it's forming an air seal?

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Yes plus you can wipe the spindle clean, put it back in and slowly push down. Then pull spindle back out and you would notice lub on the once wiped clean spindle. That and the resistance when pushing down means it is well lubricated.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I would think so. The last time that I put oil in the bearing well, I looked into there with a flashlight and the zirconia(Groovetracer Reference part) ball bearing was covered in oil. In the future, let the subplatter sink down on its own rather than pushing it. It may take awhile but it will go down by itself.

16. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Except you have wiped off some lube. You would want to add a little more. With the Rega turntables that I have had, the bearing seems kind of dry to me. The worst that excess oil will do is make a mess. You don't want to do that in case the belt slips off. You don't want to get oil on it. I tend to just add one good drop about every year.
    You can tell if there is enough oil with some experience. As I mentioned, mine starts turning easily and is up to speed in a 1/2 revolution. When just turned off, the platter rotates...let me check....1 and 3/4 revolutions with no belt slippage. I can see the belt clearly turning the motor pulley. I do have the Groovetracer Reference subplatter and the 12mm thick glass platter.

17. Randoms

Yes, this is how I was shown by Rega with original parts too.

healter skealter and PhxJohn like this.
  18. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

How much is a new P6(without cartridge) over there ?

19. Randoms

UK price?

Rega Planar 6

PhxJohn likes this.
  20. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

1049.00 equals $1,457.53 USD

Popular selling price here is $1,595.00. That is not much markup at all !

Thank you !!!

London(Decca) cartridges are very rare here. Are they popular over there ?

Randoms likes this.
  21. Randoms

You are most welcome. That recent advert seemed typical of what dealers are showing on line.

Apart from seeing the very occasional, mostly positive review in Hi-Fi magazines over the decades, I can honestly say that i've never seen one, yet alone heard one. Taking that further, in my retail days which was eighties and nineties, I cannot recall any other dealer that I spoke to ever stocking it!

I would suggest that they are not popular here either and that it is a rather niche product and only from what i've read was loved by some owners.

PhxJohn likes this.
  22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The few people on this side of the pond that have them like them very much. In my six decades of audio interest, I have never heard one either. The closest that I have come to direct/positive scanning are my two GE VR-1000 cartridges. Some rate the VR-1000 nowhere near the Londons for sound quality, some say they are close, and one or two people who have fabricated stylus assemblies with more exotic tips state that the GE wins in some respects. The stock GE needles are God awful crude and have not been manufactured in at least 50 years.

Randoms likes this.
  23. healter skealter

As a matter of interest, do the speed issues associated with the standard motor manifest themselves in the type of audio phenomena that only a seasoned audiophile (which I'm categorically not) could detect, possibly even then only with the aid of meters or phone apps? Like, will even a nOOb like me hear it, plain as day? Is it more a case of fluctuations than just being either consistently slow or fast??

PhxJohn likes this.
  24. Randoms

Regas have historically run fast and had slightly higher wow and flutter figures than several alternative turntables. I have done numerous comparisons to turntables that I have adjusted to run at 33.33rpm. In my experience 95%+ of people, including a couple of Classical musicians who played at a very high level did not notice and preferred the Rega Planar 2 and Planar 3 to the various Dual 505 models.

The Dual 505 and Rega Planar 2 are probably better turntables than 99.9+% of the population have heard.

Are the 0.3% fast running and W&F audible to a nOOb? Potentially, yes. You may notice it on sustained piano notes and tuning if playing along, say with a guitar.

The very small percentage of people who are blessed / cursed with perfect pitch may notice it.

Since phone apps have been available, more people are aware of it!!

The new Rega | Reference EBLT Drive Belt Accessory alone improves speed accuracy and W&F.

The 24V motor, now mounted solidly further improves both speed accuracy and wow and flutter.

See what you think when you fit your new belt. I think Rega have sold 300,000 odd turntables, so they must be doing something right!

Happy listening and hope you enjoy your music.

25. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

WOW sounds like the word. Say it. That is what it sounds like. The wow was most likely heard with the old rubber band suspended motors. Rega switched to the hard mount motor at least a decade ago if not two decades ago or longer.

You can hear wow with a record that is pressed off center. Something easier to try is to take a 7" 45 rpm record. There is usually enough slop with the adapter that you can place the record onto the platter with the adaptor and make it off center and play it. You will hear what wow sounds like. I have never owned a turntable that had audible flutter. Think of a cheap cassette player or deck. With those you can hear flutter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.