Old school Metallica fans and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis1077, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

You're probably right. Still - that's a lot of music to go through for one decent lp.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

But my question, is what are the songs supposed to do for you?

3. Thank you for posting this. It is not only a great pair of lines, but Wilson's lyrics is something that I think back to quite often when listening to music from bands that were of a favorite of mine from my earlier youth who still make records today.

Because, yes, I think that Metallica have gotten very, very lazy. Sure, it's not fair (whatever "fair" means) to compare the older stuff with the newer stuff, as a band that's worth their salt should always seek evolution of some sort. So, I'm not seeking for a band to relive their glory days. I am, however, disillusioned because I feel Metallica has so much potential, but their laziness has taken some of the thinking out of it. Juxtapose that with a band like, U2, for instance, who are not lazy, but they've just lost it as songwriters. Metallica isn't that type of band.

I feel that Metallica are just going through the motions, and that's my problem with the new album. "The Sound of Muzak" is right! At least with Death Magnetic Rick Ruben (as crappy of a producer that he is) encouraged the band to think back to how they wrote and recorded when they were much, much younger. I believe the results speak for themselves, at least to me, because I see that Death Magnetic is full of classic Metallica hallmarks. It's no Master of Puppets, but at least Death Magnetic sounds like they are trying write the thoughtful metal that Metallica was known for.

James Hetfield, himself, said that he thought Cliff Burton would have taken umbrage to the music they put out in the 1990s. What does that tell you?

Opeth likes this.
  4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

With utmost respect to the great Cliff, it tells me James has a tendency to think too much.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It is just an expression that means you don't like something.

dennis1077 likes this.
  6. dmiller458

When I read something like that it gives me the impression that they thought the song would make them float two feet off the ground when they hear it.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I understand where you are coming from, but you are taking the expression too literally. :)

dennis1077 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. WaxHammer

WaxHammer Forum Resident

In 1984, if you asked who the dead junkie on the floor would be, Prince or a member of Metallica, 90% of us would have gone with the 'Metallica' choice.

As it stands, the Purple One turned purple in an elevator, while Metallica chugs along. (Yes, Cliff was killed in an accident, though it was no fault of his own.)

Over the past few weeks, Metallica fans have had a wealth of BRAND NEW material to obsess over, while Prince fans get to feign excitement over yet another Best Of. (What happened to the Vault stuff?)

Metallica fans are in the catbird seat late in 2016, and this is awesome. The new album rules!!!!

Weirwolfe and Opeth like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm a Black Album Fan. Great songs on that LP. I didn't care for them before that.

Don't care much from what I've heard so far from this new album, but that's probably not fair to say, as I haven't given it fair listen.....

eric777 likes this.
  10. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hardwired is such a good album I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe we'll get some deep cuts from Master and Justice as well.

Opeth and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  11. dmiller458

Seems that too many people are of the mindset that the music is either superlative or it sucks. There needs to be a middle ground for the good and the mediocre.

eric777 likes this.
  12. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

It doesn't suck. But it is mediocre. They've been on cruise control for years. Say what you will about Load and Reload, but at least Metallica was exploring new things and attempting to grow. There's nothing new here, nothing worth a second listen. This is a band of immense talent with nothing interesting to say.

bru87tr and CopTheRiotAct like this.
  13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think it's a good collection of songs myself. There's some really sweet riffs and rthym playing on this album. A hand full are as good as they've ever put out I'd say.

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

He did not say that. He was referring the whole band image at the time. It's something James was uncomfortable with, but Lars and Kirk pushed for it. He said he thinks Cliff would have been an ally with him on that front. He clarifies that he thinks there is a lot of great music on those albums.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. dennis1077

I have to agree about his vocals. Even when they played classic songs live, the vocals just KILLED the vibe for me. It made old Metallica sound like new Metallica.

Still, for some reason, the vocals don't bother me on the new album. I can't quite put my finger on what's different. It's definitely not that classic Hetfield sound, but it somehow works on the new material.

The bonus live tracks are a great listen. James is TRYING so hard to capture the spirit of those early recordings. He obviously can't quite replicate his voice from 1984.....but he's having a blast trying!

Weirwolfe and Juggsnelson like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

If Hardwired had come out instead of the Black Album in 1991, I never would've disavowed Metallica throughout the '90s.

Hardwired is the simpler style that I was hoping Metallica would've been going for when they said they were going for "simpler, more direct" songs. It seems very NWOBHM influenced in terms of song structures. Black Album was just way too generic, or "stock" (as Lars would say), for me.

Purple, tkl7, BDC and 1 other person like this.
  17. dennis1077

The only thing that bugs me is Kirk doesn't have any writing credits. Tons of great riffs but I can't help but wonder what Hammett would have contributed.

18. dmiller458

I asked this before: is it enough to merely be a good band when you were once the best band in the world? Is even still being a great band enough?

Whether rock or metal, I don't look for the cutting edge at the top of the charts. Metal has been completely incorporated into the rock mainstream. For good or for ill, Hardwired is the state of commercial heavy metal circa 2016.

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'm with the OP... Actually they lost me with Justice, which I should probably revisit... but I love most of this new record.

Admittedly, I did like a lot of the Black album and didn't mind its polish, but my fave 'Tallica has always been Lightning and Puppets.

20. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Metallica is definitely mainstream at this point, yes. But I'd argue that metal - at the extreme end of the spectrum - is among the most innovative genres in music. It incorporates everything from classical to folk to bluegrass to jazz and more. Bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, SubRosa, Panopticon, and Nagura Baget are doing all kinds of amazing things.

Alternative4 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I think Hardwired is the best album they have ever made ;however, I don't consider myself a long time fan. I avoided them like the plague until the black album. By the time I did start hearing their music, I was already a huge thrash fan so I guess that gave me a different point of view. For many, Metallica seems to be their first introduction to thrash.

In any case, I really like this album.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  22. dennis1077

I'm curious.....what was it about Metallica that made you avoid them?

23. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I'm old school, and never stopped being a Metallica fan....only album I can't do (and tried many many times) is St Anger

24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Well, to be honest the answer would be the fans. I know it's a stupid reason but that was my thinking at the time. I started getting into metal in 1987. Back then, the Metallica fans I knew were obnoxious and refused to listen to anything else. To them, Metallica was the greatest thing ever. To me, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden were the best. I still loved a lot of other bands as well, but for some reason pre-1991 Metallica fans only cared about Metallica.

As I got older I didn't let this fan base bother me but by then I had already had discovered thrash through Megadeth and Slayer. Metallica didn't offer me anything new until 1991.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Where were you for Death Magnetic?!

:)

Vinyl_Blues and nodeerforamonth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.