Old school Metallica fans and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis1077, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah its surprising no one involved thinks this and suggests it. But I wouldnt be suggesting anything at all to Hetfield except offering to go get his lunch...and Id do that from across the room.

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Maybe,but I thought the other two didn`t run into any problems.Hopefully the pre Kill Em All stuff comes out also.:)

3. I still have not picked this one (Hardwired) up yet or given any of it a listen. Old school Metallica fan, was greatly disappointed when the Black Album came out. I've bought every subsequent major release, but it just never sounded like the same band again, the one that did KEA through Justice. I remain open-minded but I guess I've heard the "return to form" thing one too many times in the past.

Weirwolfe and weekendtoy like this.
  4. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

How about a good master of the $5.98 EP? I have an original CD that's missing all the labels, and it sounds great considering the recording. The one on Garage Inc. was butchered badly, if I remember correctly it contains a glitch on Last Caress and it's loud.

Opeth, steveharris and Blue Note like this.
  5. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a friend that's a HUGE Metallica fan. He saw them on the Death Magnetic tour. He was texting me throughout the ENTIRE concert complaining that Lars couldn't keep time and was screwing up every song.

theanalogkidsignals likes this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I say horse manure on that one. I saw them on that tour, and they were playing borderline telepathically as they always do.

One thing's for sure - whatever show your friend saw will have plenty of clips on YouTube.

Stormrider77, Clanceman and Martijn like this.
  7. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wasn't there so I wouldn't be able to verify it. Then again, why else would he be texting me instead of enjoying the show?

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Honestly, post-Napster, many many people ended up developing a need to say that Lars was a terrible drummer after he took away their free music. They would speak of him as though he'd just begun his first lessons a few weeks ago! And it still continues....

Stormrider77, Clanceman and Martijn like this.
  9. theanalogkidsignals

Lars Ulrich Says Metallica's ‘Master of Puppets’ Reissue Will Be Ready ‘Soon’
    This article came out today.

Clanceman and steveharris like this.
  10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They were once the best band in the world. That is up until Burton died. Now they have to settle for being (one of) the biggest.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn't like Metallica. Not sure what you're going on about. I saw their first tour and discovered them on Metal Massacre I. Saw them again on And Justice for All. Bailed after Metallica (didn't buy it).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
    BDC, Clanceman and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Two posts deleted. If you want to post your own thoughts on the music, that's fine. If you feel the need to overtly and directly criticize the well-held views of others, please keep that to yourself.

13. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Don't think that has anything to do with it. At least not for me. I never really was into the whole Napster thing and it didn't affect my life one bit. I understood his and the band's stance on this issue.

Oh yeah, and Lars is a terrible drummer.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I am in that boat too but you should really check out Death Magnetic. IMO it was a return to form, you can safely skip everything after Justice and up to it though. Not a big fan of Hardwired but a couple of the songs I hear on the radio are OK.

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Truth Dr!

Both shows were a "10" -

Metallica = the biggest production I've ever seen..."ever" seen/heard.

Slayer = consistently incredible. There's a chemistry & a comfort with Holt & Bostaph (again & permanent...I think) that has completely re energized the band..."live." I love the last album. Holt is reportedly contributing significantly on the next one (6/7 tracks in the can.)

16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I did not. Good players. Honestly don't know a lot of these newer (to me) metal bands , but good on both Metallica AND Slayer to promote Gorija & Behemoth. Pretty cool seeing guys that were my age in 1980-83 getting to lay claim to "their" metal band...& on a big stage. Hell, no one would take the likes of Slayer out with them way back when.

fuzzface likes this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I "get ya" bro. I like Death and Hardwired, but as a previous poster said..."Hardwired" is worth a listen. But...I sort of know what you like. I know you didn't like Death Magnetic, so I'd say you'll dig maybe a few songs from Hardwired. Stream "Spit Out The Bone." :thumbsup:

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Uh, Metallica never has been and never will be a speed metal band. Not even close.

19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Come on. Even if they were never,they were absolutely close.

Fight fire with Fire
    Disposable Hero's
    Battery
    Damage Inc !

20. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I love Hardwired. To me it sounds like an amalgamation of everything good they've ever done. A little bloated but still potent. Fave tracks are Dream No More, Confusion and Spit Out the Bone.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I bought the s/t and Load on release day. Never got Reload, S&M or Garage days but have heard them. Bought St. Anger on release day then sold it. Never bought or heard a single song from Death Magnetic until this year.

22. theanalogkidsignals

Not a fan of "Justice"? That's one of my favorites, I honestly like it better than Puppets even though it doesn't have the bass. Something about how crazy technical it is I find... comforting in a headbanging type of way.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I saw them on that tour and Lars was fine. Too many people are hyper - critical of the Danish Lord.

Stormrider77, Clanceman and theshape like this.
  24. theanalogkidsignals

You're forgeting most of Kill 'Em All. It is all more thrash than speed metal. I'd call the first Megadeth album speed metal for sure though.

25. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I saw them a few nights ago....They were certainly pretty bone crunching. The Hardwired stuff sounded very good...was disappointed they played nothing off of Ride the Lightening.

SizzleVonSizzleton and Weirwolfe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.