Old US Pressing of ‘Beggar's Banquet’ at Correct Speed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Esszet, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Maybe slightly, but the silence is at the end of the tracks on the SACD too, so it should more or less work out. Have not tried synching....maybe tomorrow. [Listening to Martin Denny now....time to relax.] I doubt they would sync, but you never know. There could be some early fades on the SACD, although I would think someone would have mentioned that.

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Could you please upload some samples of side 2, Pete? That's a definite match as far as I can tell.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Gaps on the SACD

Attached Files:

4. Esszet

Esszet Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The gaps on my LP are much longer; there's about a seven-second gap between ‘Dear Doctor’ and ‘Parachute Woman’, for example.

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The London CD has 2.1 seconds between every song except Parachute Woman and Jigsaw Puzzle which has 4.1. It's an early CD so it's probably not indexed properly.

The gaps between the 2002 Let it Bleed and the original are also completely different. On the 2002 it's like they tried to make it run non stop.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The US London vinyl Let It Bleed ran gapless so they were emulating that.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It did? I was wondering about that. I have to wonder if that was another case where there was a US pressing cut from the masters with subsequent pressings cut from copies until the SACD.

8. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Does anyone know if the early UK pressings, mono & stereo are correct?

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Both of my US vinyl copies have the same guitar bleed on "Love In Vain" that you hear on the London CD but not the SACD. I can also hear the choir take their collective breath before "You Can't Always Get What You Want" which is also on the SACD but not the London CD. Not sure what it proves but thought I'd put it out there.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

On ALL CDs of Their Satanic Majesties Request there's no gap between Sing This Song All Together (See What Happens) and Cosmic Christmas but on the vinyl there's a long silence.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like I mentioned above I have a hunch that the "bleed" was due to processing during mastering, which was then printed on the copy tapes. So unfortunately that wouldn't be a way to differentiate what source was used. And unfortunately there probably aren't pressings without it.

It would be interesting to know if any Decca copies have the breath before YCAGWYW, and if there are gaps or not.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'm told the original Decca had gaps. Don't know about YCAGWYW though.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=113886&highlight=bleed

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Actually I was wrong there. The gaps are the same on the US LP and SACD.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ok, that makes sense then.

Sounds like a similar situation with Beggars and Let It Bleed then. Except the Let It Bleed dubs aren't at the wrong speed.

I have to wonder exactly what the damage is on the Beggars masters. It's a shame, since the SACD otherwise sounds excellent.

16. floweringtoilet

So I tried, it does not even come close to staying in sync with the SACD. I don't think the issue is gap times, my LP is just notably slower.

I will post some later.

17. Esszet

Damn, I looked again, and I still can't find a difference between your side 2 matrix code and mine…do you think the speed was somehow changed when the label was changed?

18. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

So the times on the right are the gapless SACD times? These times are still about 1% slower than the times on the London vinyl labels. My vinyl is 2% slower and if I turn the speed up 2% on my record player the times match the label almost exactly without counting the gaps. It would seem to me that the times from the labels would have come from the mixing engineer and would be correct.

I wonder if someone with perfect pitch has determined which of these speeds is correct.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The 1st figure is the gap BEFORE the track. To play a redbook CD there has to be at least a 2 second gap before track one.

Since there's lots of piano on BB anyone with perfect pitch should be able to tell if it's been slowed anything less than a semitone.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A speed change would have required a new cut. And thus new matrix information.

Of course, it could have been written quite similar to that for a previous cut, but it couldn't have been the exact same writing.

21. floweringtoilet

22. Esszet

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That is noticeably slower than the SACD. I don't have the London CD in front of me, but it basically matches what's on the original ABKCO Singles Collection. Definitely not the correct speed.

24. Esszet

Can somebody upload a sample from the SACD?

25. floweringtoilet

Just as a reality check on my methodology, I compared a needledrop I made a couple days ago of Let It Bleed to the times on the SACD. This is what I usually experience when doing needledrops, most tracks within a second or two of each other.

........................... LP - SACD
    1. Gimme Shelter 4:32 - 4:31
    2. Love In Vain 4:20 - 4:19
    3. Country Honk 3:08 - 3:07
    4. Live With Me 3:33 - 3:33
    5. Let It Bleed 5:29 - 5:28
    6. Midnight Rambler 6:54 - 6:53
    7. You Got the Silver 2:52 - 2:51
    8. Monkey Man 4:13 - 4:11
    9. You Can't Always... 7:29 - 7:29

I feel pretty certain that the copy of Beggars Banquet I just bought runs slow on both sides 1 & 2 compared to the SACD. Actually, side 2 seems to run a tad slower than my other copy, while side 1 runs a little faster (but both sides run slower than the SACD). I suspect there is just a lot of variation out there between pressings of this album, although I am at a loss to explain why sides with apparently identical matrix numbers would run at different speeds.

Engineer X likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.