Older recording engineers should retire. Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stabby, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabby

Stabby Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm an audiology student and since I've learned about age-related hearing loss (presbycusis) I'm thinking that older (65+) recording engineers just can't do a great job anymore.

Presbycusis happens to everyone and can't be avoided. It's a progressive hearing loss that first affects the high frequencies. This loss is not at all noticable in understanding speech. I have tested people with a 50dB hearing loss at 6-8kHz and they don't have a single problem understanding speech, even in difficult listening situations.

Eventually presbycusis will affect the middle frequencies as well leading to problems with understanding speech. The following graph is a bit exaggerated, but it's the best I could find:

[​IMG]

Everyone's hearing is affected this way with age. The process will be slower in some people than others, but no one escapes it.

Older sound engineer should at least have a hearing test and take a look at their own audiogram to see how it affects their job. It takes 15 minutes and it gives a lot of important information. I'm thinking of a certain 87-year-old engineer who should have done this 15 years ago.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Is it still April 1st in Belgium?

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Hearing is everything, but knowledge is power. This is what a lot of young engineers don't have, especially of old formats and technology, circumstances or research already done.

Not a very nice thread to start off with though.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:laugh: Seems so.

5. TheRimeOfIcarus

TheRimeOfIcarus Active Member

He has a point. It's very unlikely someone over the age of 50 can distinguish 15-17kHz and above. That's why second opinions are always good, even though they're just opinions.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Logan's Run. They should all be sucked up into a big tube when they turn 40.

7. Stabby

Look, it's not my intention to hurt anyone's feeling, but it's the harsh truth and simple hearing test will confirm that.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I should retire!

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

We'll leave you first in line to sort them out then. They won't mind. :laugh:

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Is the high frequency response all about hearing to you? :)

11. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

maybe that's where the loudness wars originated!

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well since I'm old I have some high frequency hearing loss so I couldn't hear it even if they were there. So I don't really care :D

Here's how it should work; is their work any good? Yes? Then carry on. No? Then don't hire that guy.

I'd also rather have an old guy with high frequency hearing loss that knows what they are doing over someone you guy with better hearing who doesn't.

14. Stabby

Most people above 65 have a 20-30dB loss in the 6-8kHz frequencies (and above, but those are never tested). This is barely noticable and no one will feel like they even have a hearing loss, but it's there and it affects mastering.

I've seen people with a 50dB hearing loss at 6-8kHz and 30dB at 4kHz. They never noticed they had a hearing loss.

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

What about the people who sign the engineer's paycheck? What if they like the work the engineer is doing?

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Have you ever heard any of the Kenneth Wilkinson's recordings for Decca in the 1970s? He was born in 1912. According to your criteria, he should have retired then. It is foolish idea to me.

17. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

How many of those tested were mastering engineers?

18. Stabby

Age-related hearing loss is just a proces that affects one person sooner than another. No one is unaffected, but some people are affected slowly and will have no problems in their 70s. It will still be slightly visible on an audiogram though, so I don't see why a 15-minute hearing test is such a big deal?

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Hearing isn't everything. If we're talking about actual recording of instruments (not mixing/mastering), hearing matters even less. Knowing what you're doing, and years of experience is a big big part of the whole picture.

That being said, I think it's important for people who are using listening heavily as part of their work (more in the mixing/mastering stages) to be aware of and honest about their own hearing limitations. But even in those situations, recording today is *rife* with visual tools that tell you all kinds of things that are difficult or impossible to do by ear.

It's not too different than, say, being a colorist. You don't *really* need to have great eyes or good glasses to work on images. In fact, just looking at the thing you're actually adjusting is a pretty slow and dumb way to do it, when you have a zillion powerful scope/measurement tools at your disposal to "see" what you're actually doing rather than just guessing by eye.

In other words, I would much rather have an engineer (sound or video) with decades of experience at the helm, than an inexperienced young person with pristine hearing (or vision).

I think there is also something to be said about learning HOW to listen.

That all being said of course, no amount of experience or really knowing HOW to listen will ever overcome the barrier of the fact that you simply can't hear certain things.

Should Beethoven have stopped making music when he went deaf?

Do you think Ansel Adams in old age with bad eyes couldn't have taken a better picture than a 15 year old with 20/20 vision?

As odd as it is to say it, being able to hear or see is not the biggest part of dealing with sound and images, IMO.

20. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

My guess is that folks in the audio field probably have worse hearing than the general population.

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its a great idea. Replace someone with years of experience and knows how to engineer recorded sound because they can't hear the high end of a cymbal or triangle strike.

Replace them with younger engineers who know how to:

MAKE MUSIC SOUND REAL GOOD

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Jeez, folks have gotta earn a living.

If their work isn't cutting it any more, they won't get hired (unless their name is a brand in and of itself).

23. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Stabby, is your last name Inthebacky?

24. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Let the old guys master but have a safety engineer run a second safety on anything critical that has to be recorded first time. You can always re-remaster if the old guy buggers it, but he won't: the young guys are who screw things up.

25. Stabby

I'm sorry, but your comparison doesn't make much sense to me. Sight and hearing is not at all comparible.

Suppose an engineer has a 40dB hearing loss at 6kHz and above. That person will perceive a tone of 40dB at the same level as you would hear a 0dB tone (barely audible). In order to hear anything at 6kHz and above at a normal level he will have to boost that entire frequency range 40dB. That makes a huge difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.