Oldest known surviving color “Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” (Aug. 24, 1964) found, restored.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

I know there’s a Carson thread already, but I think this discovery deserves its own.

DC Video Restores Rare 1964 Color Tonight Show

DC Video Restores Rare 1964 Color Tonight Show

DC Video has recovered and restored a very rare color videotape of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson that aired on August 24, 1964. This appears to be the oldest surviving color videotape anywhere of Johnny Carson, surpassing the Stan Zabka color recording by approx 6 days. Additionally, this videotape consists of the program open, full monologue and approx 1 hour of the show.

The challenge with this tape recovery was that the record machine was using the low-band monochrome standard, a mode designed for black & white video, not color. However, using the third-generation Ampex AVR-1 for the playback yielded an excellent color picture with sound despite the bandwidth limitations of the low-band mono standard.

Additionally, this tape was recorded via a TV antenna off-the-air. Miscellaneous video noise and extraneous impulse spikes were recorded with the video but the AVR-1 handled these errors with its full one-line buffer aka time base corrector.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow! It looks terrific! They did an outstanding job transferring and restoring it!

goodiesguy and longdist01 like this.
  3. AKA

How did one make off-air TV recordings in 1964, @Vidiot?

4. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Fantastic. No Doc! And, this post is just in time for its 54th Anniversary tomorrow, which is also a Friday.

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Where is Ed?

6. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Very cool

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! that's excellent!

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Any idea how to access the whole thing?

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

That is weird .

10. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Ampex released the world’s first magnetic tape video recorder, the VRX-1000, in April 1956, with a price
    tag of 50 grand,they weren't in many homes back in the 50's.......:winkgrin: Sony put out the first home model
    in '64, but still few people could afford it back then.

11. AKA

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

A shame they didn't upload it in 50 or 6op, so it's sadly de-interlaced.

Otherwise though it looks very good! Thought you can of course see a bit of analogue ghosting to the right of everything, due to the way it was recorded OTA.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Shivvers. Down the spine. Damn stable picture.

Where was Johnny? Anthony Perkins did a great monologue for him, though...

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They discovered many years ago that some B&W 2" videotape recorders actually captured the colorburst signal on color TV broadcasts and closed-circuit feeds. In some cases, you can recover enough of the colorburst to reconstitute the original color in the broadcast, though the image does need some adjustment and (of course) has to be played back on a color VTR.

You always had the ability to record anything on a VTR, even going back to 1956, when they were invented. So if you feed the machine an off-air tuner, it could technically record off-air TV stations.

All that is fixable if they wanna spend a lotta time and money.

15. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

This is a really great find, Johnny is amazing!

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Johnny is so young and bouncy here. Like I used to watch him on "Who Do You Trust" when I was very young. Also, interesting camera technique during his opening. The camera is not on him, it's over on the side, watching him work the audience. Such a different approach from the Burbank era. I'm bettin' that a guest on the show that night had this recorded. It's not an NBC aircheck. Someone with bucks taped this.

18. Steve Hoffman

And one more question for the experts. Listen to the sound. It's hi-fi. It does NOT sound like it came over the coax cable from New York. No way in hell. So no aircheck of this show done in Los Angeles could have captured that sound. Not possible. It doesn't have that AM radio sound that tapes recorded for later broadcast on the alternate coast have.

So, where did this come from really? If the show was in New York, it came from there. Had to.

19. Dillydipper

:idea: I'm gonna say it...:D

I did. not.know. that...that is wild, weird stuff, Vidiot...!

Steve Litos and longdist01 like this.
  20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That’s amazing. I love that set, and his suit too. Midcentury class!

He does have a lot of energy here. Young and spry. I like the kind of edge and energy the NYC shows had compared to Burbank. Such a shame more tapes didn’t survive.

dan c

21. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Maybe Sinatra Senior had it recorded for the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra appearance and Frank Jr. He could afford it.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ya-ha! That was a funny jolk. Mmmmmm.

They did "theoretically" have AAA phone lines that supposedly had bandwidth to 15kHz, so it's possible that KNBC was using those from NYC. A lot of younger viewers forget that for decades, the audio on network feeds really sounded poor in most cities, usually with a lot of noise and grunge in there (and AM-like frequency response).

krock2009 likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

They weren't. I did so many high school and college field trips to NBC "Color City" in Burbank, I can safely tell you that the sound coming from New York via the line even in the 1970s was AM sounding.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So the question remains where the videotape was made. Only David Crossthwaite (the guy at DC Video in Burbank who just played back the tape a few days ago) might have an idea. For all we know, maybe it was made in NYC but wound up in LA decades later.

krock2009 likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Maybe they had to use both lines, one for the feed, and the other for a feed back to NYC? I've done that myself, from Disneyland, while doing remote casts from Bakersfield. AT&T gives us two lines (supposedly for bandwidth, but we would use one to feed my Bakersfield station's air signal into my headset in Anaheim; the other phone signal goes out from L.A. to Bakersfield's radio console. Now, if I wanted to forego the live monitoring, and trust the guy running the show back home, I can use both lines for full fidelity, and send my breaks to him, so he could play them back at the right time.

Paderewski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.