OLDIES.com Scratch & Dent Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by jason202, May 10, 2023.

1. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't ordered from these guys in a long time, and while they seem to have gotten rid of their huge warehouse remainders/new old stock/cutouts section, they've added an interesting selection of "Scratch & Dent" vinyl that, according to the email they sent out, "may have minor cosmetic imperfections such as cover dings, bent corners, or split spines, but rest assured that these do not affect the quality of the vinyl itself." I ordered a couple of titles, and it will be interesting to see what shape they're in. Decent prices and some obscure stuff to browse through:

Scratch & Dent Vinyl | OLDIES.com

2. liquifury

liquifury Forum Resident

Some great titles at very reasonable prices! Thanks for sharing @jason202 !
    I ended up getting:

Draconian Times MMXI (Damaged Cover) (Vinyl LP) by Paradise Lost
    item number: MVD11105LP
    $20.67, 1 Qty

Portrait Of A Dying Heart (Damaged Cover) (Vinyl LP) by Secret Sphere
    item number: SR-0139LP
    $10.85, 1 Qty

Psychedelonaut (Damaged Cover) (Vinyl LP) by Wo Fat
    item number: RIPLP139
    $14.47, 1 Qty

Poetic Justice (Damaged Cover) (Vinyl LP) by Lillian Axe
    item number: GRRCD057LP
    $11.37, 1 Qty

jason202 likes this.
  3. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

Wow, this IS a fun sale! I'll post my finds later but I'm going a little nuts over here. Lots of stuff on my back-up wants list, the stuff I wanted 'only cheaper'.

A couple thoughts:

1) It's a pretty limited list: it looks heavily picked over? Or perhaps these are labels that would not accept returns from the distributor? It's heavy on gothic / death metal; soundtracks; synthesizer music.

2) There are also some very recent releases there, including some 2023 RSD stuff. Morricone's 'Barbablu', Simonetti's 'Hands Of Steel', etc.

3) Also, I bought several things that said had a quantity of only 1 available. And yet, now, 30 minutes later, they are still coming up as available in search. Implies we might see some cancellation notices.

4) Please, someone buy that Kitchens Of Distinction 'Folly' album. It's tough to find. Folly [import] (Damaged Cover)

5) A couple of Hawkwinds; a couple of Southside Johnny's; Bebe Buell's solo album, she's not an accomplished singer so has a kind-of Patti Smith feel perhaps? Baring It All:Greetings From Nashbury (Damaged Cover)

6) A couple of Holly GoLightly's; a fun 2LP set from Germany of Tango music Tango (Damaged Cover)

7) The Alarm 'Best Of - Live'; also Jeremy Spencer from Fleetwood Mac 'Live'? Don't know it - bootleg? Live In The Studio (Damaged Cover)

8) Johnny Thhunders Heartbreatkers - LAMF Found Masters on pink - wasn't this scarce for a while? L.A.M.F. --Áthe Found '77 Masters (Neon Pink & White Vinyl) (Rsd Essential) (Damaged Cover)

9) Two recent LP's by Andreas Vollenweider - I didn't realize he was still going.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    breakingglass likes this.
  4. jason202

It may very well be picked over, as I got the email about it last night just before 7PM EDT, and didn't really look through the available items until 12 hours later. And yes, it looks like we may be seeing some cancellations. I ordered the 2 Live Crew's As Nasty As They Wanna Be and their first greatest hits comp, both of which are pretty scarce these days, and the quantities did not change after my purchase.

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Planning to place an order today and hope for the best. Thanks for the heads up in any case. This is a very cool list.

The site also has a (much smaller) separate Clearance list in case anyone wants to roll the dice on that stuff as well.

6. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

Not just Holly but a bunch of Damaged Goods stuff (appropriately enough): Heavenly singles LP, a few Billy Childish albums (including that recent one with James Taylor). Recent Primitives 12", too.

hutlock likes this.
  7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I'm wondering how "damaged" these damaged covers are.

liquifury likes this.
  8. jason202

I have no idea what to expect with these, but I’ve ordered numerous, sealed dead stock LPs from them over the years and the quality of the outer jackets has varied quite a bit, mostly decades of shelf wear and usually with a cutout. I don’t remember ever getting vinyl that wasn’t like new when played, though.

9. DapperGentleman

Just a heads'-up that the inventory appears unchanged this morning in the Oldies - com bin. The only thing that has changed is that the positioning of the top sellers has moved around a bit.

There are several records with a Quantity Of One since yesterday morning that appear in the Top Sellers list today. That can't be good. I've received no shipping confirmations yet from yesterday morning. I'm not going to spend any more energy on this sale until I reach a comfort level that I'm not wasting my time. YMMV

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, these guys are an even bigger mess than deep discount when it comes to website accuracy & order fulfillment. if you see an amazing deal, it's totally worth a roll of the dice.

hutlock likes this.
  11. jason202

I got the two "damaged cover" LPs that I ordered on Saturday. Here's the damage:
    [​IMG]
    The covers on these albums are cheap, thin cardboard and it looks like they might've been in boxes that had too much weight stacked on top of them. Creasing is minor so they'll probably flatten up a bit once they've spent some time shelved. In both cases the vinyl itself appears flat and undamaged. I'm not sure what the packing tape is about, there was no damage beneath it and they were both sealed.

The As Nasty As They Wanna Be is the 2017 orange/green color reissue and the Greatest Hits looks like it's a 2014 reissue on black vinyl. I haven't opened the latter yet, but the former's records are housed in clear plastic sleeves.

12. DapperGentleman

Wow!

I just received my orders from Oldies.com. It took a little long than expected, but I guess they were busy. Anyway:

1) All 21 records arrived (3 orders of 7 LP's each)
    2) The records seem nearly flawless. I am hardpressed to find even minimal damage to most of them.
    3) At best, I saw a few tiny bent corners, a couple loose wrappers, and a couple of small sleeve scrapes.

That's it. Great stuff at great prices, truly happy this deal was called out here.

13. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It took me a minute before I saw the 'bent' corner. Money well spent!

hutlock likes this.
  14. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Grabbed two records myself. Tear Garden and Legendary Pink Dots. If the covers are not badly damaged, a great deal on those records

15. liquifury

liquifury Forum Resident

I received my Oldies.com order today. Well packaged. I ordered four records, here's what I got:
    • Secret Sphere - Portrait of a Dying Heart - No shrink or sleeve. Most likely a return. They put the infuriating brown packing tape directly on the sleeve. Took an infuriating 20 minute session to get it off successfully. Slight wear at the corners. Vinyl in mint condition
    • Paradise Lost - Draconian Times MMXI - Still in original packaging. Packaging was split along the seam on one side. Left it sealed, assuming the vinyl is fine.
    • Wo Fat - Psychedelonaut - Wasn't in the package. Emailed the Customer Service dept. The responded promptly saying the condition of the record was too bad to ship and they would issue a refund.
    • Lillian Axe - Poetic Justice - I knew I was taking a gamble on this one. Title said "Phill Pratt - Star Wars Dub", but all other identifying information (picture, description, details, item number) were for the Lillian Axe LP. Well, I received the Star Wars Dub album :-( . I have to give it to them, this album was still in shrink and pristine. However, I emailed the Customer Service department and they told me they would send a replacement and to keep the Star Wars Dub album. We'll see if I actually get the replacement!

jason202 and Davidmk5 like this.