OLED / 4K 'Eye Candy' Demo Suggestions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The complexity outlined in this thread of setting up HDMI defaults with image and audio preferences has me dreading ever upgrading to 4k.

I had no idea it gets this involved. I was thinking of getting a soundbar and now I'm just going to settle with my RCA analog connects to my Boston Acoustic computer speakers.

At least I'll still have time to have a life outside of watching TV.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Don't worry, it really isn't that complicated. In addition MOST stuff manufactured in the last few years is compliant, but it is always good to check first.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

It is NOT complicated. We are just geeking out over how to over-optimize our systems. And I am juggling multiple streaming devices for different purposes with an ancient soundbar -- way beyond what most mortals have to deal with. :D

It's like if you wanted to listen to CDs, you buy a CD player and hook the outputs to your receiver. Done.

You walked into two guys geeking out about running the CD player as a transport into a DAC, whether S/PDIF versus TOSLINK connectors create more jitter in the signal path, and how to jimmy up the DAC to toggle between a PC music server and the CD transport. That might make you think hooking up a CD player is the hardest thing in the world!

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Not talking about CD player, transport DAC hook ups. Didn't even know that was discussed here.

I'm talking about how defaults work with a remote mentioned in this quote...
    It's not easy programming just one Universal remote to work with all three of my devices, my HDtv, Sony Blu-ray player and Spectrum cable box. Not all features "buttons" on the remote work for each device. The Universal Remote instruction pamphlet is nothing to laugh at as simplicity goes. Then you have the soundbar issue with a TV that only has audio inputs so I'm limited on what I can do with my setup for audio. It's still all a clunky work around situation but the above quote is not surprising in how it all works with "Turnaround"'s setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.