OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Note that the article is nearly two years old (covers the previous 2.1 spec that I basically leapfrogged over) and it acknowledges that even the length of the cable can be a factor. There are so many factors that to me the biggest one is time. Do I really want to continue to invest the time in ensuring I'm getting the most out of my components by dealing with the menus and settings and handshake issues just to save a few bucks by keeping old cables? I think it's just the state of the industry that with any upgrade in components using HDMI, you're probably better off upgrading the cables too. So just factor it into the cost of the upgrade and it's a pretty minor expense to ensure you're getting the performance you paid for in upgrading the TV.

stereoptic and supermd like this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Fair enough!

3. My two UHD BD players (Sony X-800 and Panasonic DP-UB420, and HDMI-only version of the 820) and my Samsung 4K HDR TV are 5 meters away from each other. Amazon Basic HDMI cables are fine for 4K HDR at 24 fps but with 4K HDR at 60 fps (the Ang Lee Billy Lynn's UHD BD mastered at 60 fps from the 120 fps original) I had issues with casual picture blacking.
    I changed to inexpensive Chinese optical 5 meters HDMI cables and they work like a charm. What they basically do is take the electic signal coming from the output HDMI port and convert it to an optical one that is transmited over 4 fiber optic wires. On the end connector the optical signalis converted back into an electric one with zero loss. They are powered by the HDMI ports that feed 5 volts.

jamesc likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Man, and I felt like a dope when I "upgraded" my 3 or 4 year old plasma with an LG OLED in 2017!

I did that because I wanted to get a 4K with 3D while those were still out there - and I only got the plasma because it was the last of the Panny plasmas!

I probably shouldn't have gotten my 2nd Panny plasma - I should've held out for a good OLED. Oh well!

At least the OLED offered a visible upgrade. Even standard BDs look better on it than the plasma, and the OLED's 3D is a major improvement over the plasma's...

5. Anything new/different?

My Brother-in-Law's old Panny VT 60" is giving up the ghost (power supply problems) and he is asking me for input. I always say the LG OLED for Black level, QLED for a less "controlled lighting" situation.

He is aiming at one of the newer/newest Sony's as that is what they are recommending at the local Magnolia (yeah, yeah, I know). They are also recommending 8K as more "Future proof" even though there is virtually no material available.

He says the Sony's and LG are almost the same price, so not much of a factor. With Black Friday approaching, he's hoping to make a decision on what he really wants in the next couple of days and I am DEFINITELY many months behind on the latest/greatest debates.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I finally bought a 4K UHD player with Dolby Vision. Haven't hooked it up yet - will be curious to see if there's a real difference between DV and standard HDR

PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

LG is still superior to Sony, both in quality and price. As far as I know Sony still doesn't even make its OLED technology. LG does.

SoCalWJS likes this.
  8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm really enjoying Disney+ via Apple TV to my 65" E9.

It doesn't beat 4k discs, but it looks pretty good. Roger Rabbit in 4K looked really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.