OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Haven't there been some rumors that LG might bring back 3D for the 2018s? Might just be wishful thinking, but I seem to recall that I heard that somewhere...

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No rumors. It's dead, Jim.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Well, a thin green vertical line just appeared on my beloved Samsung F8500 plasma so this set will need to be replaced at some point. This saddens me, I really thought it would last a really long time as long as I didn't do anything to cause burn-in and kept the hours low. I guess on the bright side I can save up for an OLED. What're the best models of the year in the 50" size range?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For some reason, most of the companies jumped to 55" instead of 50", and I'm not sure why. I would've much preferred a 50" (or even a 40") for my setup, but I was forced to go 55" for OLED.

The LG 4K B7/C7/E7 series are all fine by me, provided you get them calibrated. In my case, I was able to get one shipped to LA for $1900 all-in, and that (to me) was a helluva deal. My previous Panasonic plasma -- which I still have in another room -- was more like $3200. Calibration starts at about $200, but mine wound up at $600 because I'm using an external LUT box to get it 5% closer to perfect.

"...the best-performing TV we've tested to date."
    LG OLEDC7P review

"...will likely end up being one of the best televisions you can buy in 2017."
    LG OLED55C7V 4K OLED TV Review

hi_watt and mikeyt like this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Tha's a bummer. 55" is almost too big at my viewing distance unless I want to change my living room around, which isn't all that easy in my apartment. I'll have to push it back practically against the wall.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

7. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

LG OLEDs are on sale until 11/4. Am seriously contemplating gettting the 65" B7...anybody own this one? Thoughts?

8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I have the E7 version - they have the same video panel and video "guts" , mine just has a bigger soundbar and speakers.

I ABSOLUTELY recommend buying on - it's one of the few multi-thousand dollar purchases I've made recently where I have ZERO buyer's remorse.

I love mine to death.

Vidiot, Maccaroni and RK2249 like this.
  9. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Actually looking at the C7 now...don't like the aluminum trim around the bezel on the B7.

The only thing is that I love my plasma. With the exception of absolute black level, the plasma is near perfect IMO...and it still works beautifully.

I also don't plan on watching much 4k content (maybe Netflix occasionally)...90% of viewing is HD cable and Blu rays.

Dublintown and Vidiot like this.
  10. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

One of my engineer clients, when discussing ophthalmic optics, told me, "Robert, perfect is good enough". He was kidding, mostly.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are those who believe "better is the enemy of good," but I think in my case spending another $600 for a LUT box was not an outrageous expense. The key was the calibration, and that's an expense anybody can pretty much afford. I think a couple hundred bucks for a $2000 set is not a big deal.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  12. These are the two 55" makes I'm currently looking at, and as far as I can tell online there's no substantive difference between them other than the colour of the stands and placement of the USB and HDMI ports. Which is kind of weird, but whatever.

13. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I have the 65 inch LG B6 (2017). I got an LG soubdbar with it that washed out cheaper than the E6 with a promo.

Like others, zero buyer"s remorse.

I've taken pains to set it up to avoid the soap opera effect, however I wondered if anyone has watched the new Netflix series Mindhunter and what your thoughts are on image quality?

RK2249 likes this.
  14. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

The other difference is that the B7A has a thin chrome or aluminum trim piece that goes all around the bezel, which I find distracting in a darkened room when watching movies. Confirmed this at Best Buy yesterday. Also not thrilled that the backs of the TVs aren't black as mine is stand-mounted. The B7P used to have that crescent shaped stand as well...not sure if the B7A has that or not as the ones at BB were wall-mounted.

Ultimately, with some help from another member and reading numerous things on the internet, I've decided to hold off for now. Besides the fact that I won't be watching any 4k content and the increase in size is moderate, I'm still concerned about motion blur and I still love my plasma to death. I'll wait till it dies or the 77" comes down to a reasonable price.

15. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Yup, I was just saying that perfect really can be good enough, and that less than perfect varies from adequate to junk.

Best regards,

Robert Martellaro

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Can someone explain the comparison of a Oled tv and say Panasonic VT50 ?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would be a deal-killer for me as well. The C7 was only $50 more than the B7, so it wasn't a big expense to me.

Motion blur is not an issue for me: I've been used to 24p video for 17 years, since 24p started in 2000. It's fine. We're watching a lot more 4K HDR content than I ever expected: The Punisher on Netflix is incredibly vivid and intense in HDR.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

An new OLED will have a much better picture due to a wider color gamut on a 10 bit panel. Little to no color banding. Plus HDR will really make a big difference to contrast levels and light/dark detail. Also, OLEDs have access to better codecs, such as H.265. It will beat any plasma easily.

alexpop likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Although, there's tons and tons of content out there that's still stuck at 8 bits. I hate 8 bits.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Meanwhile, there's this...

[​IMG]

Dave Garrett, Mr Bass and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Old technology had curves. :)

22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Anyway you can recommend me an ISF person to do the callabration on my LG.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

In LA? Yeah, go to David Abrams from Avical:

Avical.com
    [email protected]

Terrific guy, absolutely top-notch, superb work. Not cheap, but I think he's worth it. Uses a Klein K-10A analyzer, which is essentially what all the big studios and post houses rely on.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    chacha likes this.
  24. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I just purchased the LG C7 OLED and all I can say is WOW!

I'm blown away by how amazing the Dolby Vision and other HDR content is, and also with the features on the TV. It's amazing how the native player picked up my Plex server with no configuration required at all. I just got a new 4K AppleTV but I'll most likely sell it because everything I need seems to be built into the TV's app capabilities.

White_Noise and Chris C like this.
  25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Everything except HBO GO/NOW :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.