Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

You know, after Don’t Say That, Love Is A Gift is my least favourite track on BWAH. It always came across as really cheesy and false to me. And I hate to say it, but it’s not a great vocal by Olivia either... Adding Delta to the new version doesn’t help, IMO.

2. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I think it has such an instant, classic adult-contemporary sounding melody. I've always been fond of 'Love Is A Gift'. Didn't it win an Emmy for Olivia because it was featured in a daytime soap in the US?

I like 'Don't Say That' too. It's a little meandering, but a good listen still. I've mellowed (pun intended) to the whole 'Back With A Heart' album over the years. It has some absolute gems like 'Attention', but as a body of work suffers from betraying the use of multiple producers. It just never sounds as cohesive as it should do to my ears. I guess we were spoiled for years with John Farrar at the helm!

x

RSteven and David Campbell like this.
  3. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I don't think there will be much, if any, response to the movie here in the U.S. The Lifetime Network (on which it aired) is a cable network marketed to older women and doesn't draw much viewership. They air made-for-TV movies by the dozen and there's rarely any promotion for any of them outside of the network itself, so no one here in the U.S. knew this was going to be on unless they saw it in the listings or caught a promo for it on the network. I'm a TV junkie and I didn't know it was going to be on until someone posted about it here. (Of course, I saw it last year shortly after it aired in Australia, so I didn't actually watch it this weekend.)

The good news for anyone who wants to see it is that it'll probably be repeated a whole bunch of times. They re-ran it a few hours ago, I saw.

4. Bobby Morrow

Back With A Heart is my favourite Olivia album of the last 20-ish years. It’s only flaw being it didn’t have an obvious single. Hence them reusing I Honestly Love You.:) Olivia’s voice wasn’t at its best when she recorded the album, but I’ve gotten used to the occasional gruffness and it even enhances some of the performances. I wish BWAH had sold enough for MCA to keep her on for a follow up, but it wasn’t to be.

My second favourite from this period would be Indigo. Don’t get me wrong, it could have been a lot better, but it’s a nice album. The songs are good (if over-familiar) and her vocals are strong. I just wish they’d have embellished the whole thing a little more but it wasn’t what they were going for.

[​IMG]

GoodKitty and RSteven like this.
  5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah I think David is right that she didn’t care for the song and thought this was good enough. After the dancing video she made of it...it’s no wonder she never wanted to re record it lol. I actually really like the mono version on the 45 Uni label.

RSteven likes this.
  6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I had fairly low expectations for this film and did not know how intimately involved Olivia was in the whole project and how talented Delta Goodrem was as a singer. I also had no prior knowledge of her similar cancer diagnosis as well, so again my expectations were kind of low. I was not sure if they were even going to be able to use her great music in the movie. I told my gal ahead of viewing how difficult it was going to bee just to find somebody as beautiful as Olivia, let alone a singer that can act as well. I was really pleasantly surprised by the whole movie, even enough so that I am saving both the movie and the doc on my DVR's precious recording space.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Well, I am sure your right about there not being huge ratings, but Lifetime does have a reliable viewing audience and they do now how to promote these special movie projects. Lifetime did have the reputation in its early days for being a channel for women only, but that changed a few years back as they upped the sexy quotient quite a bit and made a lot of fact based murder mystery movies as well. My brother and I watch their Saturday night premiere movies regularly as they are usually better than some of the stuff on HBO or the other cable re-runs that are showing. The Bad Seed, a re-make of an old movie from 1956 with Rob Lowe in the lead, premiered with almost two million viewers and then was repeated many times over, which you so well point out in the second part of your post will likely happen with the Olivia movie.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Since all the Olivia experts are here... The Shadows recorded their own version of the hit single Hank wrote for Cliff Richard in 1967, and it sounds to me as if the female voice that appears at 1:18 in this recording might be Olivia´s. What do you think, experts?

Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Does sound like her.

Song4U and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Yes, I think it does. I´m not sure how early she became a member of that entourage. She was in the UK by then, so it is possible.

Song4U, Tim 2, bob60 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I’d say it’s a cert that’s Olivia.

By the way, congrats on the new avatar. You’ve had the Janis Ian one about 25 years.

:D

mark winstanley, RSteven and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Didn’t she start going out with Bruce Welch in 1966/67?

I suppose that helped.

:D

Jarleboy and RSteven like this.
  13. Jarleboy

Thanks. If not quite 25 years, then.. certainly a long time. I just had to choose a Cliff album that would be an accurate description of me. My favourite album of his is "ROCK´N´ROLL JUVENILE", but that´s not me. "I´M NO HERO" seemed to fit the bill in so many ways. :shake: I know you don´t like the cover, but I kind of do. It´ll do till "the next time".

Bobby Morrow and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Jarleboy

Yeah, I thought it was around that time, but I was not sure whether I erred on the side of... Well, being too early. But it sure does sound like her.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Lucky Bruce

16. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Yes, it's her. I remember Only Olivia listed this track as one of Olivia's guest appearances: Olivia Newton-John -> music -> albums -> guest albums -> From Hank, Bruce, Brian and John - The Shadows

Jarleboy, Song4U, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Didn't know are avatars were suppose to accurately describe are selves. Guess mines about right then.

Jarleboy, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Don't be a sad puppy, let someone tickle ya belly lol

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like to think of Rocky in this picture as -content-. About the way I feel most days.

Although, I don't have as many girls going out of their way to pat me. lol

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah that’s definitely Olivia. Ok Olivia lets go to sleep now. Lol The creator of that video should have inserted a pic of Olivia at that spot...maybe the red spread photo from Soul Kiss on the bed faded to B/W for a 6o’s feel...lol

I like your avatar...I actually have that cover and songs “A Little In Love” and “Dreamin’ in my iTunes library.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

22. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Wait is he wearing a diamond pinky ring and a woman’s watch? Lol
    Seriously...he’s more than lucky. Love that belt Livvy.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

lol ... well at least he may get you into a conversation :)

25. mark winstanley

Well i may have been a bit young to intervene ... If it's 67 i wasn't born ... 68 and i was a Fetus ... I guess I won't hold it against them .... hang on that wasn't a pun .. ok :)

Tim 2, Bobby Morrow and RSteven like this.