Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

I am afraid I am probably less of a fan than you are as I pretty much lost interest after the MCA period (growing up also I suppose). The whole Gaia/Grace and Gratitude/Liv On is of little interest to me even though I completely understand where she is coming from and It probably is very helpful and healing for those who appreciate and/or are in that unfortunate situation…

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The Japanese 2010 CD box set stopped at the right point- The Rumour. After this it’s fair to say things went downhill fast. Lots of patchy albums, but some have a few highlights.

I actually loved Grace & Gratitude when I first bought it. Vocally, it’s her best work of any album since The Rumour. However, it didnt take me long to realise the songs are so boring! Not a memorable one amongst them. It’s better than Liv On, though.

3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Everyone hears and takes in music differently...Grace & Gratitude is an outstanding album...I play it quite often when the world gets too much...she provides that healing touch vocally.

4. BraveLion

BraveLion Forum Resident

I liked a lot of what she recorded, but I could have done without "I Honestly Love You", and "Physical" was on the radio way too long for me. I might have liked both if I had heard them 5 times each, but they lasted about 100 times that many radio plays that I heard. Can't listen anymore.

5. SimpleSimonSays

Agreeing again with you although I find Warm And Tender to be a great album. Take off the few lullabies and keep the classics (The Way You Look Tonight, You'll Never Walk Alone, Over The Rainbow, The Twelfth Of Never, When You Wish Upon A Star), it is beautifully arranged and produced and she sounds lovely and caressing as only her can do.

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I never get tired of seeing Liv and Agnetha on the same screen. :love:

And that Andy Gibb is awfully purty, too. :hide:

7. Bobby Morrow

I’m going to have to disagree with you there.:D I couldn’t stand Warm & Tender. Boring orchestral arrangements and the songs seemed to all be aimed at the top end of her voice, which gets old fast. Too much vibrato. Too much sentimentality. She should have saved songs like this for the shower.:)

Warm & Tender was the moment I knew she was done as a pop star. Releasing that after 2 underperforming albums was madness.

8. MeatWithGravy

MeatWithGravy Active Member

Having been a child in the seventies and early eighties, I'm a fan. Who's not?? A beautiful voice and loads of charisma.

And, let's face it, sooo easy on the eyes! :love:

RSteven, David Campbell and Song4U like this.
  9. SimpleSimonSays

Yup… I am a big ol softy after all... :agree:

10. SimpleSimonSays

If you're a 8 years old boy in the seventies and you really love Olivia, two things might happen when you watch Grease:

1- When Sandy 2 appear on screen you have a funny feeling in your tummy

2- When Sandy 2 appear on screen you think what a fabulous new hairdo, curls really do wonders for her and those shoes...!

I was the latter… :D:unhunh:

David G., MeatWithGravy and Scopitone like this.
  11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Thank goodness radio played them so much back then...they made her rich which is ultimately what we want for all our favorite artists.

RSteven likes this.
  12. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Warm & Tender is a great ballad with a heartwarming message. It came at a pivotal point in her career as a mother. I love the song. It’s not the only strong song off the album...”Twelfth of Never” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone” are equality great album cuts. Reach Out For Me another great single. I find it more than just a lullaby album.

13. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I was the former...although it was when I was age 10 in 1990 for me. Although I still could appreciate the curls and the shoes. :)

I've often thought I grew up in the wrong era. Most of my musical tastes range from 1960-1980, formed mostly from my parents record and cassette collection. Olivia was fairly prominent in it.

Song4U likes this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I thought "Oh she was way prettier before, now she looks like a trashy biker chick." :laugh:

David Campbell likes this.
  15. David Campbell

I mean no one can dispute Sandy 2's inherent " bad girl" hotness,but I admit I always had a bigger crush on Sandy 1. :love:

She was too good for Danny. :winkgrin:

yesstiles and Song4U like this.
  16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

And that biker chick sent all the ladies into the mall looking for those tight black pants and red shoes. :laugh:

17. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

What would people’s recommendations be for good sounding CD compilations?

18. David Campbell

The MCA Greatest Hits both volumes are great sounding if you can find them. Vol 1 is sort of rare these days but Vol 2 is pretty cheap and easy to find on eBay . Also Back to Basics the essential collection from 1992 sounds good ( although the track listing varies by territory. )

2001's Magic: the very best of Olivia Newton-John is a decent one CD comp that collects all the major songs.

The two best in terms of sheer material are 2008's GOLD and 2013's Japanese only 40/40. Both have 40 plus tracks and share most of the same material with a few differing between them. Each has a special rarity. GOLD has the rare B-sides " Fool Country" and 40/40 has the unreleased song "Come on Home" . However, some don't like either of these because they feel they are too loud, especially 40/40, but I personally like them both. GOLD is the cheapest and easiest to find.

I almost forgot to mention the often praised "48 original tracks" compilation that basically has her first four European/Australian LP's collected across two discs. I don't own this one yet and it's light on hits but the sound is marvelous from what I hear and it includes a few rare B-sides never released on CD or LP elsewhere. It's mostly her 1970-1974 stuff.

Happy hunting!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Here's another appreciation for Olivia!!
    A long time ago a friend from Japan sent me this Koala Blue advert, it's double sided and I scanned it. I never bought any of the chocolates but i wish I would have (of course to never open them). I have 3 bottles (2 red and 1 blue) there for looking and will stay sealed forever.

I got most of these things, the shirt, watch, sweatshirt, bags and napkins from her store in Town Center at Boca Raton, FL inside the mall (of course it's now closed). There was a Aussie milk bar that looked just like how it was shown on the Merv Griffin Show when Merv visited her on Melrose Ave. Olivia never showed up lol but I went there 3 or 4 times hoping she would appear. The large cups I got an Aussie milkshake and they are pretty different, not thick at all but more like runny milk ha but it was good. The watch no longer works and I've taken it to several jewelers and none will fix it so it will remain a collectors item for me. All of these things hold a special place in my heart because I was apart of being there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Wine Tags
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brian Mc likes this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

22. Bobby Morrow

In addition to @David Campbell’s list, I’d also recommend the early 90’s Japanese Twin Best Now comp. This has her first 2 albums and Have You Never Been Mellow in full, alongside a handful of other songs. Great sounding 2 CD set. Of course, I’m not saying this will be easy (or cheap) to acquire.:)

[​IMG]

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Forget the music for now, look at that cover! :)

24. Bobby Morrow

Yes, taken in London in September 1978 while she was promoting Grease. Love the way she’s sat on a newspaper to protect her clothes.:)

David Campbell and yesstiles like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

New picture of Olivia from Instagram. Apparently taken yesterday. An interview she and John did.

[​IMG]

RSteven, MMM and tin ears like this.