Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The Xanadu soundtrack had some weird label split where it was on MCA in North America and on Jet almost everywhere else. In 2022 terms, that means Universal owns the NA rights and Sony has the rights outside NA, so any release will require collaboration between the two labels, as well as sign off from ELO and possibly the Tubes and the estate of Gene Kelly. Definitely her most complicated re-issue situation. She couldn’t even get the studio versions for her own greatest hits that went out in Australia a year or two ago.

Rosewater and leicbri like this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It would be nice to get the long version of “Rosewater” that runs at about 5:10 mins at some point in a deluxe edition. It contains an extra verse. The US version of Let Me Be There doesn’t contain this song. In fact the album titles are the same but the track listings are completely different on the US vs the Australian CD’s.

I bought the Festival Australian CD Let Me Be There just to get the long version of Rosewater. The CD has a strange green face not the most pleasing to look at lol. Rosewater also appears on my 48 original tracks but it’s the short version at only 3:57.

Rosewater, leicbri and KJTC like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I never knew if they removed the third verse in Rosewater for time reasons, or if it’s to avoid the dropout that’s in there.

KJTC likes this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

^^
    I forgot to add, if you go and compare the sound back to back between the Australian CD of the song Rosewater and then listen to the same song on 48 original tracks, you can hear instantly that the 48 original tracks has the best sound, it’s so superior bright clean and so clear sounding. I’m hoping for the long version of Rosewater with the clarity of sound from 48 original tracks. Am I asking too much?

Rosewater and KJTC like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Probably.:)

If I recall correctly, the 1998 Aussie LMBT is very hissy in one channel throughout. You can hear it clearly on headphones

KJTC likes this.
  6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes one would think they could finally use the word Remastered and they could correct it, that’s if they have people at the helm who know how to do these things. Clearly with Physical, it’s not the case. I’m actually happy with the audio CD’s and the bonus content, I just can’t get past Carried Away and wish it was the original from the original album that bothers me so much.

I’m worried about all future releases.

leicbri, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I did not know about this CD, thanks for the scans.
    I see it contains one of the Carpenters songs too...but I don’t care for that song, it’s my least favorite of all their songs. lol

8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Do you think we will get the alternate vocal version of Sail into Tomorrow that only appeared on 7” single from the UK. The 7”single is dated 1972 Pie International Festival Records.

Will this appear on If Not For You Deluxe as a bonus track? It’s never been released on a digital format before.

KJTC likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Not sure. It might be held over for the US LMBT album. If that’s what they do next.

10. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

There is so much redundancy between If Not For You and the U.S. Let Me Be There. I wonder how they will navigate that? Hard to predict without knowing what’s in the vaults. Hefty bonus content could neutralize the issue.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I know. I kind of wish they’d stick to the U.K. run, but of course that means the US LMBT and IYLMLMK albums wouldn’t exist. That obviously isn’t right either.

I believe Olivia did record more unreleased material between 1971-74. Simply because she and her producers were always searching for hits. Whether this is a high number of songs, I don’t know. Still the INFY reissue already has more unreleased material than Physical and we haven’t even seen the tracklist yet.:D

Rosewater, Mezepokaj and KJTC like this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Very sad to hear of her passing. She was a beautiful person, RIP.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

So sad… R.I.P. sweet Olivia…

Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.

Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund (ONJFoundationFund.org).

Olivia is survived by her husband John Easterling; daughter Chloe Lattanzi; sister Sarah Newton-John; brother Toby Newton-John; nieces and nephews Tottie, Fiona and Brett Goldsmith; Emerson, Charlie, Zac, Jeremy, Randall, and Pierz Newton-John; Jude Newton-Stock, Layla Lee; Kira and Tasha Edelstein; and Brin and Valerie Hall.

- via John Easterling, husband, Olivia Newton-John

14. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees

I can't believe she passed away. Very sad

Rosewater, RSteven, Paul R and 4 others like this.
  15. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Oh no!

KJTC likes this.
  16. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Almost my first thought was for Bobby. So sorry, mate.

17. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Same hope he's doing fine, immediately thought of him after getting the news.

Don't know what to think right now, RIP to Olivia.

18. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very sad news RIP.

peace and love✌

Rosewater, MDNA4ever, KJTC and 5 others like this.
  19. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Very sad. Listening to Stranger's Touch right now. RIP beautiful lady

MDNA4ever, Rosewater, RSteven and 5 others like this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Such sad news. Lovely voice, pretty lady.

Rosewater, KJTC, Vic_1957 and 5 others like this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh no :(

EG.

KJTC and Vic_1957 like this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s so upsetting, she was such a genuine and generous person. I think the public outcry of grief will be huge as she was so loved. I don’t know if there’s an RIP thread as I blocked a certain forum member who seems to relish in the deaths of others, but I wanted to come here and pay my respects alongside all the fans she had on the forum. Spinning her greatest hits now and will be listening to her all night in tribute to a very beautiful soul.

Let’s celebrate her life and play her music loud!

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ditto.

EG.

24. MDNA4ever

MDNA4ever Boys in the Trees

I'm definitely going to listen to her music tonight. I think we all will

25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Same. Had a college roommate who was crazy for her. Lost him last year.