Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m guessing it will be similar to the Physical remaster. I think the same guy did this one, didn’t he?

Remastering albums is so hard. You just can’t please everyone.

2. Bobby Morrow

You see, some people would describe the 48 master as ‘bright’. You just can’t please everyone.:D

RSteven and DanaDotCom like this.
  3. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

I created my own definitive If Not For You last week and after listening to the new Deluxe Edition, the Pastmasters, the double CD Olivia Newton-John and the 48 Original Tracks, I choose the 48 Original Tracks by a very small margin...

I have to say that the new Deluxe sounds good if a tad loud for my taste but at low volume on headphones, it's sounds very good. But, when I listen to it on my system at good volume, back to back, the 48 Original Tracks sounds wonderful and the new Deluxe a bit fatiguing to my ears...

Burningfool and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. NoYesMaybe

Well... seems like Hoffman pleases everyone... Almost everything MFSL and Audio Fidelity pleases everyone... Until they learn the provenance that is...

:hide:

5. NoYesMaybe

Mike Haynes at ENSO Mastering Studios (his apparently).

He is also a trumpet player and a real estate agent...!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

We talked about this when the Physical deluxe was released. We knew this would happen and so the vicious cycle continues withe the wrong version of LIDT. Now all comps will pull this wrong version because it’s labeled as Soundtrack version. It should have been labeled incorrect soundtrack version. :sigh:

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Busy lad!

8. NoYesMaybe

I did smile when I saw his facebook... But since life is hard sometimes one needs many jobs to make ends meet...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. NoYesMaybe

Vic Anesini does only mastering though... Less dropouts... Just sayin'...

:hide:

RSteven and David Campbell like this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

The Australian Singles Set has a slip cover. The orange colored one.

John Adam likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

It does, but I don’t have that CD.

12. Bobby Morrow

The dropouts keep you on your toes though. I can’t wait to see where they’ve slipped them in on the upcoming Greatest Hits release.:D

13. NoYesMaybe

I'd rather have my toes relaxing on the couch... :winkgrin:

I am still unsure If I pre-order or not... :wtf:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I guess we can add our own photos and put them under the CD’s but what 2 photos there are so many great ones!!

Hey got an idea!! (Get it Mom for Christmas) someone needs to add 2 pics to the bottom of your case and post it on Facebook and say hey mine came with photos under the CD’s :shh: lol I bet you would get a lot of replies lol lol maybe even Vinny might reply? :laugh: Just kidding of course lol

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Unfortunately to my ears it’s brickwalled and quite loud. The song that’s the worst is Can’t We Talk It Over In Bed. The drum beat will literally bust your ear drums. Both CD’s are really loud everything’s at the same sound level…loud. It’s a shame because I like that set.

Album details - Dynamic Range DB

16. NoYesMaybe

Maria Callas Complete Studio Recordings (Warner, 2014) and Live Recordings (Warner, 2017) both have wonderful 150+ pages digital booklets...

Let It go Simon, let It go...

:rant:

Burningfool likes this.
  17. NoYesMaybe

Especially since the Dan Hersch North American version sounds so damn good!

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

My Cd won’t even dispatch till end of the month. :shake: I can’t believe it’s taking this long, I’m trying so hard not to listen online. If my booklet is blurry it’s going back for a replacement and that means more time. I’m praying for a pristine one.

19. NoYesMaybe

And you're in Florida??? Did you pre-order??

20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I’m quoting this twice because it’s so good. I’m thinking of printing this out and somehow making it into a cd booklet to keep with the Physical Deluxe set. So many excellent tidbits of info about making of the album. Love to read this stuff.

leicbri likes this.
  21. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Lulu received almost no radio support for "Where The Poor Boys Dance" or the preceding singles, which charted in the 40s. The album was also made under the previous label head, who moved on before its release.

Not exactly. The version on that album is a re-recording, produced by Christopher Neil. David Tyson produced the "Poor Boys" album.

leicbri likes this.
  22. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Indeed. I think that for these and likely all the forthcoming releases from Primary Wave, the aim is to create a remaster that will not only sound good through a cell phone speaker or Bluetooth speaker streaming digital through Spotify and other platforms but also sounds good on CD and Vinyl as well through a hifi set up.They've generally struck a happy medium. It definitely could have been much much worse as we have seen with the reissues and remasters of other artists.

In her final months Olivia listened to and approved of the job Primary Wave have been doing and apparently was very involved up until she could no longer be. In a way these releases feel like her final gifts to her fans. it's been nice to be able to discuss her music again and not dwelling as much on the last few years and recent events . It's keeping her alive in a way and I'm grateful for that.

Burningfool, KJTC, leicbri and 4 others like this.
  23. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

That's why I canceled my Amazon order and went with Silver Platters. I couldn't keep waiting until Amazon got their act together and send me my damn CD! I ended up paying probably 4 dollars more due to shipping, but it was worth it. To me anyway.

I have pre-ordered the vinyl and CD versions of Greatest Hits from Amazon. Hopefully that will go smoother. I'm also ordering the CD Japan shm version. Wouldn't it be funny if I get that before the basic regular version? It won't surprise me if that's the case.

KJTC and RSteven like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

That’s strange as Amazon US have been selling and dispatching the INFY CD to the U.K. for at least a couple of weeks now. I know @leicbri has ordered one and his copy is on its way.

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I canceled my Amazon Prime order as well and went with Target a couple of days ago. I even called Amazon and talked to a live person, but they were completely clueless as to what was going on with the delay. Target has already shipped the Olivia CD from Tennessee and it is scheduled to arrive by UPS on Sunday. Now that's a bit strange, because I don't recall ever getting a UPS package delivered in my little town in Oregon on a Sunday. I will keep an eye on the tracking from here on out. I am really looking forward to this CD, despite some of the flaws mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    John Adam and KJTC like this.