Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

Thank you for clearing that up! I’ll replace those files in my digital library with the ones from the CD!

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It was a nice surprise that Love Song wasn’t spoiled.

Jon_UK and Jerms like this.
  3. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

Bobby, can you (or any other ONJ scholars) explain to me the differences in the three versions of “Would You Follow Me” on Disc 2? Obviously, the “Alternate Version” is clearly different, but I can’t really hear a huge difference between the first version and the “Edit.” Which one was on 48 Original Tracks???

4. Bobby Morrow

I think track 11 is the single mix and the version that was on things like 48 Original Tracks and Crystal Lady. I don’t actually have the Banks Of The Ohio single that has WYFM as the B-side to check properly though!

Track 5 is a slightly longer version with a muddier mix. It has a different bit in the middle, around the second chorus. To my ears, anyway. This is the version on Spotify that has a shortened intro. On the CD it has the full one.

The other version (track 15 on the CD ) is an entirely different take altogether. Different vocal and instrumental backing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  5. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

Thank you, sir!

6. Bobby Morrow

Just checking the running times of the song on Discogs.

On Crystal Lady it’s 2.37

On 48 Original Tracks it’s 2.40

On the U.K. B-side of Banks Of The Ohio it’s 3.02!

So is track 5 on the INFY deluxe actually the original single mix?! It’s the longest of the 3 versions on there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Chris_Sydney likes this.
  7. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Mine arrived too, and was similarly in perfect condition all round!

8. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

You have to believe we are magic;

Nothing can stand in our way.

9. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

It took me a second to recognize the song... :yikes:

David Campbell, leicbri and colinu like this.
  10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I might have caught on a little quicker 'cos it reminded me of Kristin Chenoweth's cover of the song on the TV series "Pushing Daisies".

I wonder if the re-working is using Olivia's vocals from the original multi-tracks, or if it was just extracted from the from the finished version.

11. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

I have no idea but it's quite effective and gives the song another layer...

The first trailer for this about a month ago with Jennifer Coolidge was a riot as a spoof for "Selling Sunset" type of show... Now with this one, I am like, wow, not at all what I expected...

12. Bobby Morrow

Did yours come in a shabby brown paper bag like mine?

leicbri likes this.
  13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Yes - and stuffed haphazardly in my letterbox. Luckily no damage.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Same here. As I soon as I saw that crumpled bag, I thought the CD would be knackered.

15. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Randy Slovacek (ONJ webmaster) has confirmed this is as a direct result of the Primary Wave deal. It’s also why Olivia songs now crop up regularly on ‘Now…’ compilations.

Hopefully we’ll be seeing more profile like this as the years go by.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Nice of Randy to show and face and remember he has a job to do.:D

Nobody has been harder on Primary Wave than me, but in the last 12 months they have got Olivia’s catalogue up on streaming services and there have been 4 reissues (counting Greatest Hits next month) too. Not bad really.

If only they’d remember that there are people outside of the US who’d like to buy her LPs and CDs.:)

leicbri likes this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

That's still a major frustration. And also the lack of promotion - although, it has occurred to me that Olivia herself that any work-related promotion was to be kept low-key in the weeks following her passing, so as to give Chloe and John and her family space to grieve without feeling that they were having to 'share' her with the wider public.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

19. Bobby Morrow

Chloe has been posting a lot on Instagram lately. I’ll leave it at that.:D

David Campbell and leicbri like this.
  20. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

A lovely archive clip here.

This brings back great memories. We didn’t get Dick Cavett’s show in the U.K., but this whole reel showed up on a bloopers programme. It was one of the first ‘contemporaraneous’ appearances of Olivia’s I ever saw after becoming a fan in 1983.

RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I remember seeing an edited version of this and thinking that her jumper was a choice.:D

leicbri likes this.
  22. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

Hoping they did a full remix of the song & that it gets a release.

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Here is my long review :laugh:

The mastering on this is a little loud for my tastes (not brick walled) it’s listenable but does get loud at times. There are a lot of songs that also appear on 48 Original Tracks and I will be comparing them to that. For me, 48 OT is the gold standard on mastering and sound.

I also noticed that PW seems to add 2-4 extra seconds at the end of most tracks It doesn’t add anything other than makes the songs running time over than most of what I own. It’s not in all cases but most.

Banks of the Ohio
    There’s something I’ve always wondered and it’s on all versions I own...at about 2:02 on the word “wondered” there is what sounds like a scratch noise/glitch and it’s also heard on the German version at 2:04. I’m not sure what that noise is but it’s on all the cd versions I own as well. The PW version gets really loud toward the end dare I say harsh. I enjoy 48 OT version much better.

In A Station
    This starts really loud on this remaster. The waveforms show this remaster is much much louder than 48 OT. There are even some red peak lines on this remaster.

Love Song
    PW has a more open sound, it’s a tad loud but I really like what they did on this remaster.

Help Me Make It Through The Night
    PW-All the instruments including piano are just overpowering her vocals which tend to make her vocals sound buried in the mix. In my opinion 48 OT has a much better sound overall.
    I will say it’s pretty cool to hear all the backing instrumentation on this remaster but just wish it wasn’t so strong.

If Not For You
    I have the UNI 45 single that is in mono so everything sounds very centered in the mix which brings her vocals more up front. The mono single also has a bit more bass to it. 48 OT has a brighter sound with less bass than the 45. PW-This sounds great to me, nice bass, not too loud and has the best stereo sound to me. I like this remaster.

IF, Where Are You Going To My Love and If You Could Read My Mind
    These all sound terrific on this remaster, best I’ve heard. Since most of these are quiet/softer songs they really benefit from this remaster. There are instrumental parts that really soar and blend so well with her vocals. The ending piano on Where Are You Going leaves me with goosebumps but also remind me of the sadness I feel that she passed away.

If I Gotta Leave
    Love this remaster, has a bit more bass than 48 OT. You can really hear the bass kick in at the 46 sec mark. I like this remaster better than 48 OT.

No Regrets
    One of my favorite early tracks. I’m impressed with this remaster. It’s a tad louder than 48 OT but has a much fuller sound presence, more open and so crisp and clear. I like this one.

Till You Say You’ll Be Mine
    Not the best remaster, has a really dull sound. I didn’t think I would be saying this but they could have brightened it up some with crisper highs. The only version I own is a ripped version from u tube but even that one has a brighter sound especially her vocals. Not sure why they couldn’t have remastered this one a bit better.

For Ever
    This sounds pretty good, vocals are a bit brighter than Till You Say You’ll Be Mine. I’m happy to have this remaster on digital format.

The Biggest Clown
    I am falling in love with this song all over again. This is a highlight from the DE.
    I’m only now appreciating it even more.
    I have the Uni 45 single which is in mono, everything is front and center.

The Biggest Clown Remaster #3 took my by surprise because I’m so use to my 45 single. It’s awesome to hear this stereo version come in on the left and right channels so full and rich sounding. It’s a tad loud but they cleaned this one up so so well. I’m hearing so many different instruments with so much clarity and her vocals bright and clear. I love how she sings the lyrics. This is a really nice remaster. Well done!!

The Biggest Clown (alternate)
    I actually think this version might be more pleasing to listen to than the single mix. The single can seem like she’s shouting at times but this alternate has a much smoother feel. I like this one very much.

It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye
    This song has always started off loud and then gets softer.
    This remaster is good but it’s still pretty loud. However, overall the remaster sounds better than my Uni single and 48 OT.

Would You Follow Me
    Disc 2 #11 (Edit) 2:41

This sounds like the same version as my 48 OT at a running time of 2:40.
    However there is a slight difference.
    The guitar riff that comes in at 1:10-1:11 on my 48 OT comes in on the right side and the piano is on the left side.

The PW remaster the piano and guitar riff at 1:10-1:11 are on both right and left channels.
    I’m not sure why but otherwise they sound the same to me.
    I did not know that this was considered an edit on my 48 OT.

Would You Follow Me
    Disc 2 #15 (alternate ver)
    Well this is totally different in every way. lol
    It even sounds like a slightly different vocal take.
    This is a very nice unreleased track and it’s a bit calmer sounding, very soothing. I like this one.

Walkin On Air & Goin’ Back
    PW remaster sounds excellent, much better than my copies.

I Could Never Live w/out Your Love
    (I always thought that title was too long lol)
    PW remaster sounds like a vinyl rip to me, lots of “s” sounds commonly heard in vinyl. To be fair my copy of this song (which is also a vinyl rip) sounds the same. This song just always sounds muddy to me and needs a lift in the vocals. I’m under the belief this remaster is a vinyl rip. It sounds to me like the same copy I got from burning the ground years ago (which was also a vinyl rip)

Roll Like The River
    Ditto above
    The sounds level is certainly lower on this and the above one too. Both sound like vinyl rips.

Don’t Move Away
    Love this song. It sounds just like my Had To Be Part 2 CD Single.

Round and Round
    “How Beautiful You Are”
    Such an awesome hidden gem for the fans to enjoy.
    Thank you PW for providing this track.
    It sounds so light and airy, reminds me of Richard’s Window.

Game of Love
    Light and Airy vocals
    So nice to have these unreleased songs. Good job PW.

German Tracks
    I don’t speak German but I trust the lyrics are the same. LOL
    It’s worth it just to get the instrumental track for the ending BaBaBaDaDa’s vocals
    Love it. lol

With numerous plays, Olivia might just teach me some German and if I’m out in public practicing, people might just think I’ve murdered someone. lol

Final thoughts~ Thank you for reading. :)
    I’m very happy and pleased with PW for this release.
    It is a bit loud at times but that’s the case with new CD’s today.
    I’m thankful I bought 48 OT way back then for my collection.
    It could have used a few more pics inside the packaging but that’s minor, it’s the music that matters.

24. Bobby Morrow

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to listen so thoroughly.

David Campbell and Song4U like this.
  25. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Just think if you didn’t get the CD you might be unhappy about this error on the streaming side. I guess this is a perfect example of not always trusting what is put up on these streaming and download sites? I keep saying I’m going to stop buying CD’s and then here I am again buying CD’s lol