Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

"If Not For You" Deluxe Edition

We are really fortunate to have this in our collections! The original album sounds like heaven with superb recording (originally) and a great remastering job!
    The second disc, besides some of the imperfections from the source(s) is a wonderful gift for any fan of Olivia. The booklet is great, liner notes rock, and it should be noted that a fine job was done to get this to us!
    I give this a 9.5/10. It is nearly flawless as a deluxe edition. Olivia's voice is just wonderful. I look forward to hearing more from this the pre 1975 period.

ZedLife64, Song4U, yesstiles and 4 others like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

We lost her buddy. I'm sorry to have to say this. :-((

David Campbell likes this.
  3. VietAnh1111

VietAnh1111 is married to Stevie Nicks

My condolences… :(

John Adam and David Campbell like this.
  4. PDoolin

PDoolin Forum Resident

I know this is naughty (cause we've gotten such great treatment w/this 2-CD Deluxe INFY), but what if....???
    $$$ wasn't a consideration... and they made a Special Deluxe Edition Lp+CD combo Box, where:
    1. The original album was on 2 x 180 gram Lp's, running 45rpm, with 3 songs per side, for much higher fidelity
    2. They put the CD2 content on another 2 x 180 gram Lp's @ 45rpm,,, same thing
    3. They made a 12" sized version of the booklet that came with the CD's
    4. This packaging included the 2 CD's
    5. The simple bookkeeping flaws (like missing verse 1 lyrics of 'HMMITTN' and CD2 song sequence typos's on back of cover) were corrected
    6. John Farrar, Bruce Welch, musicians & engineer types wrote their own liner notes, supplied some more photos, and expanded the big booklet

I'ze gonna stop there before my head explodes... :unhunh:

5. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I listened to WYFM the other day. I always skip JALTM.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I see Spotify have added the 2022 remastered version of The Air That I Breathe from the upcoming Greatest Hits.

Its in the ‘singles’ section if you’re looking for it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    David Campbell, Song4U and leicbri like this.
  7. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

This would effectively be a ‘Super Deluxe Edition’ and they do appear from time to time (70s/80s UK pop star Toyah’s ‘Anthem’ album recently got exactly this sort of treatment, as well as a standard CD/DVD Deluxe Edition).

I’d love this for Olivia. As one of the highest-profile, most musically prolific, and most filmed and photographed pop stars of the 70s and early 80s, it would be MORE than possible to assemble such a set for Olivia - especially for particularly significant albums like her debut, and internationally-successful top-sellers like Physical and Totally Hot.

Alas, I think that because her pop music profile dimmed significantly after her heyday, this current DE campaign is likely to be the best we can hope for for some years.

BUT - and this may be a pipe dream - I do wonder if the curation of these new releases, coupled with the fact that she is (not to put too fine a point on it) a ‘deceased icon’ might actually prompt a revival of interest in her back catalogue.

If the current campaign continues to do well, it may not be inconceivable that a future run of Super Deluxe Editions happens. Who knows?

I think a lot hinges on the reception of the Duets Album. Again, not wishing to be indelicate, but the fact remains that this has the potential to be a big mainstream hit, if it’s handled properly. Probably the last chance for a big ONJ-related mainstream hit.

The first ‘new’ studio album by ONJ released since her death could (and SHOULD) attract a LOT of media coverage. Couple that with the fact that there will be a number of high-profile celebrity duet partners likely to be able and willing to put some promotional effort into it, and we could theoretically see a return of Olivia Newton-John to the contemporary international album charts in a significant way.

I’m really hoping Primary Wave and Team ONJ get their acts together for this.

The promotional work for the DEs so far has been pretty poor (although Physical got off to a reasonable start - spelling mistakes not withstanding - it quickly and inexcusably fizzled out. What a waste of amazing audio-visual material that was! :shake: ).

In the run up to the album’s release, they need to regularly release duet partner interview clips to Olivia’s YouTube channel, along with lyric videos etc.

Will they, though? I wait with bated breath…

8. Bobby Morrow

If they don’t give the duets album a big push, all hope is lost.

David Campbell and leicbri like this.
  9. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, at least in the U.S., it’s buried at the bottom of the singles section with a release date of 1975. It’s going to be difficult for it to be noticed with that kind of placement.

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, same here. I had to search for it. It’s not even at the top of the singles list, as you say.:D

11. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

With my ranting aside, I just listened & the remaster sounds lovely. Getting these “new” releases makes it seem like she’s still with us in a way.

leicbri, RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

This is another quiet softer song that would really benefit a remaster. How does it sound compared to the other 2 remastered albums?

Does this mean Have You Never Been Mellow album has already been remastered or just this song? Interesting.

13. Bobby Morrow

I only listened on my iPad, but it sounded good.

I’m guessing a lot of the albums are remastered now? They’ve had time to do it.

leicbri, RSteven and edcw like this.
  14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So then Japan will get the first 2022 remastering of songs from the GH 2 album. The US won’t get it till 2023.

15. Bobby Morrow

It’s a great shame she’ll not be around to promote the duets album when it arrives. I’ve a feeling she’d have done a good job with that. Lots of little stories to tell.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    leicbri and edcw like this.
  16. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I have a feeling that this was a release she wanted & felt passionate about, considering the bulk of her most recent/final output was collaborative: Amy Sky, BNC, Chloe, Farnham, Travolta, Goodrem, Cliff, Anka, etc.

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I’m really looking forward to the track list on this one.

leicbri and John Adam like this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah. If was supposed to come out early last year shortly after the release of the Paul Anka Duet. Olivia herself even began teasing it on her Instagram and then....nothing. it sounds like it got delayed due to some legal wrangling they had to clear up that supposedly is all settled now.

Its a shame as it probably would have been the last promotional push by Olivia in her lifetime. She probably was excited for it in spite of her health issues over the last year and would have no doubt at least done a lot of printed and audio/pod cast interviews leading to the release. Not being able to release it was probably really disappointing given she probably knew that she didn't have much longer. :cry:

leicbri, Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Maybe this was already posted?
    What tracks are we anticipating on the duets album? Will this be all new tracks or ones she already recorded duets in the past?

jeremylr likes this.
  20. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

The track listing has never been disclosed.
    During the period last year when the team started teasing the release, Randy Slovacek mentioned in
    a Seattle Gay News article that it was to be a two disc, 34 track collection.

21. Bobby Morrow

I didn’t know that.

Sounds promising!

22. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

A little of both. We do know, since Olivia teased it on social prematurely, we will FINALLY get "True to Yourself" with Vanessa Amorosi (which was supposed to be on "(2)") I'm super excited about that one as it's a great song.

23. Bobby Morrow

If it really is a 2 CD 34 track affair, it should be amazing.

I’m totting up the ‘regular’ ONJ duets we all know in my head, and even if all those are included there will be room for little ‘surprises’.

I do hope Primary Wave/ Green Hill market this one better as it actually has a chance of being a hit.

24. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

It could POSSIBLY end up as a Volume 1, with a Vol 2 coming out later...
    And I tallied up 72 existing recorded released duets! (not including the live CDs or the last 2 Christmas CDs) But we know there are some that were never released, (Jon Secada, Jim Brickman--possibly even Richard Marx) and some new ones that were recorded just for this!

Also, I would expect more promotion for a "new" release vs re-issues (I HOPE!)

leicbri, Song4U, Bobby Morrow and 2 others like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am just hoping they found the Kenny Rogers track of What About Me? That alone would make me want to have a copy of this duets album.

leicbri, John Adam, Song4U and 4 others like this.