Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

That's what I thought the whole time thank gawd... I didn't pre-ordered for nothing...

Also... Who are you? How come you're "in the know"? Are you in the Primary Wave guard?

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Hopefully. She had quite a few appearances on TOTP in the 70s.

leicbri likes this.
  3. NoYesMaybe

When you wish upon a star...

4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It's one of her best album covers, too. Then again, so is Long Live Love!

I'm still uncertain about how they can make the US discography work as the basis, given how much of INFY was recycled for the US Let Me Be There. I guess we'll see!

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Hopefully they’ll pack enough bonus tracks on the LMBT reissue so that people won’t notice some of the album is recycled from INFY!

IYLMLMK is easy. Only need to add another 6 songs and the LLL album is complete.:)

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  6. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

That could work. I'm still holding out hope that they skip around chronologically, sticking to anniversary years. At least we could get Totally Hot and The Rumour alongside Let Me Be There if they go that route.

7. Bobby Morrow

I’ve no idea how they’ll work it. Hopefully 2023 will be a good year. I am looking forward to the duets album.

My worry with Totally Hot is that there won’t be much bonus material. I’m pretty sure she only recorded the 10 tracks for that, so there probably won’t be any unreleased treats. At least we should get the TH single mix though.

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  8. NoYesMaybe

I so don't care about anniversary years... Would you rather wait for anniversary editions or have them all faster?

KJTC likes this.
  9. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

LOL! I am the xanadude! I know all! LOL

Chris_Sydney, leicbri and NoYesMaybe like this.
  10. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

So, I had heard the rumors for years, and someone confirmed it recently: Olivia and Karen Carpenter recorded 3 demo tracks together. But evidently Karen was sick and didn't like how she sounded, (face it, that's like Karen saying she's fat) and of course Richard is a tyrant and they will most likely never see the light of day. The confirming person has heard them, is friends with a friend of Richard's and will def try to get him together with Primary Wave, but I'm not holding my breath!!! SO Frustrating!

PS: Please keep this off the ONJ FB page. My friend would not be amused if it gets out.

Retropsych, Song4U, KJTC and 3 others like this.
  11. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Holy smokes! :tiphat:

12. NoYesMaybe

Touché!

:biglaugh:

13. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm happy to report the police have found my car! :pineapple:

It is a bit bashed up but is in one piece, apparently. I was too embarrassed to ask if my CDs were still in it, so I still don't know if If Not For Your Deluxe made it through the ordeal!

14. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Wow - it would be lovely to hear these. Do you know what 'era' they were recorded during?

15. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

There’s also a pretty good shot of getting the 1978 television special as a bonus, since it was released on Laserdisc.

[​IMG]

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Either Richard doesn’t know these exist or he doesn’t remember either way highly unlikely he would allow them to be released. But maybe in light of recent events he might change his mind. He has become softer and more open over the years.

However, more importantly is even if he gave his approval the only place these duets would fit on an Olivia release would be the duets CD but I’m sure that’s already been planned out and too late to appear on that. Doesn’t seem like they would be appropriate on any of Olivia’s studio albums unless it’s a re-recorded song from one of her studio albums like Totally Hot.

KJTC likes this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

This is interesting. About 11 mins into this clip from 1980 is an interview with Olivia’s father.

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

This is so true.
    I’m still having good days where I’m celebrating her and all the wonderful music she left for us to hear. Then I have bad days when I can’t bear to listen to her music as it’s hard to shake how sad I become.

Just the other day “When I Needed You” started playing in my car and I started getting so emotional.

“When you cry for me
    Here's what I will do
    I'll step into your dreams at night
    and comfort you”

“I know the distance scares you
    but it's really not far
    cause I'll be on the corner
    in that neighborhood of stars
    And when I needed you
    I'll just call out loud
    And you'll look up and see me standing
    on a cloud”

Wow…I started getting tears in my eyes and it’s hit me all over again the enormous loss of Olivia.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately of when I met her in person backstage thanks to Helen and Richard. I remember there were about 12 of us waiting down this long hallway and I was about #10 so the anticipation as I got closer and closer to the open door, I was getting more and more nervous inside. All these years of hearing that Australian accent and here I was listening to it in real life yet I still couldn’t see her. It was surreal and I didn’t want this moment to end. I could hear how gracious she was with each FAN taking time and not rushing anyone.

Then when I got to the open door she was more beautiful than I ever thought. She was very petite in person. She had changed clothes and in a very relaxed outfit. She was so kind and so interested in hearing what you had to say. She signed my Totally Hot poster, we chatted some more and then I put my arm around her for a photo.

I’ll never forget that night!!
    Her music means so much to me and even more so now. I think of her everyday.

19. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I think if anniversaries are celebrated in 5-year increments, then there's no shortage of possibilities for next year:

Let Me Be There (5oth anniversary)
    Totally Hot (45th anniversary)
    The Rumour (35th anniversary)
    Back With A Heart (25th anniversary)

I appreciate us all wanting everything as soon as possible, but these releases have to be done right (especially for us here on the SH forums as we are the pickiest audience!) It takes time to master the releases and to go through all of Olivia's archived tapes so potential bonus material isn't missed. This is the one chance Olivia's catalogue has of being properly revisited and re-released, so I'm all for an anniversary rollout with a couple of releases each year.

'If Not For You' has set a new high benchmark and that project was being worked on for almost a year. If the rest follow suit, they will be worth waiting for.

x

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don’t think most people realize this photo is actually originally from the back cover of Olivia’s superior and third official album Music Makes My Day.

John Adam, leicbri and Chris_Sydney like this.
  21. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

There are a few Olivia albums that had back covers that deserved to be front covers (and that I think may actually have worked better as front covers for their originating album). The Rumour, definitely. Totally Hot, probably. Possibly Making A Good Thing Better. And I’d have preferred almost any of Back With A Heart’s inner booklet photos.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

But why does the back cover picture of Music Makes My Day look worse than the front cover photo of If You Love, Me Let Me Know?! I’ve always thought it does!

leicbri likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I still can’t decide whether to get the Primary Wave remaster of Gaia…

Is it worth picking up?

24. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It really depends on whether you like the way they are doing their masters, as compared to your feelings about how the original release was mastered. For me, it was like hearing the album again for the first time and I listen to it a lot more now. That being said, it’s just the core album with no bonus features, liner notes, etc. Only worth getting if you want to hear the tracks remastered.

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I’ve ordered it now, so I guess I’ll find out.:D Amazon U.K. almost never have it in stock, so I thought I’d take advantage of the fact they have at the moment.

KJTC likes this.