Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

It was a special day - surreal not to have Olivia there, but heartwarming to see so many people coming together to honour her memory and continue her work.

Chloe spoke beautifully to Richard Wilkins on the day, as did Tottie and Debbie who runs the fundraising.

x

2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I was not aware that John and Chloe did not attend the walk in Australia. Chloe seemed very emotional during that interview. Were there any other celebrities that turned out for the walk in support for Olivia?

So much respect for Tottie for carrying this torch for Olivia.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    KJTC likes this.
  3. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

RSteven, edcw and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

RSteven, KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It doesn’t surprise me they did Jolene. As I’ve said before, I was hoping for Dump The Dude, but it wasn’t to be.

:D

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  7. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Or the Steve Kipner cut that’s in the same league.

leicbri and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I actually quite like Potential New Boyfriend!

9. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

They were evidently supposed to be her first album, along with the other early non-LP B-sides, but they scrapped it and went in a "different direction."

Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

No, Olivia herself decided the release order of the first few/next albums. Greatest Hits Vol 2 is next, and then Duets.

mcd4959, KJTC, Song4U and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I really wish I’d have been a fan in these early years. I started liking her in 1975, so the late 60s/early 70s era is fascinating to me.

mcd4959, KJTC, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  12. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

Nice to hear that Olivia was so intimately involved in the process. :love:

mcd4959, KJTC, Song4U and 3 others like this.
  13. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Me too, i think they sound great together, is there any news by the way when Olivia's duets album will be released?.

KJTC, RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Supposedly next year.

KJTC, RSteven and Rosewater like this.
  15. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I became a Olivia fan until 1985 when i was 9 years old, and i really discoverd her most famous hits songs in 1989 when Olivia wasn't really a best selling recording artist anymore, but my real fun moments starts when i bought all her albums that was released before the movie Grease, that was a real treat for me. to discover all those beautiful songs.

KJTC, RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Okay, thanks @Bobby Morrow

KJTC and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

That’s interesting - I knew she chose Gaia, and Physical and INFY makes sense from an anniversary point of view. I guess she wanted the Greatest Hits next because they give the best overview of her commmercial career, so fans from across the spectrum will get something they enjoy. And then something current with Duets.

What a great parting gift!

KJTC likes this.
  18. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

KJTC, Bobby Morrow and David Campbell like this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I never saw this interview and just watched this but I went away not feeling very good. It really puts things in perspective.

When she said that she’s grateful for all the music she made earlier in her career but it’s really just a small part of her life (or something like that) My heart dropped.
    Am I finally understanding why we never got her catalog reissued properly before now?

As a fan, I ALWAYS considered her music as a top priority? Is that selfish of me?
    Her music has always been such an important part of my life.
    It’s her music that I felt the closest to her and it’s the music that gives me the most comfort now that she’s gone.

I’m so grateful she went back on tour the past 15 yrs or so and that I got to meet her and attend so many concerts.
    It’s bittersweet finally getting all her catalog remastered and re-issued but I’m also sad at the same time.
    It’s a rollercoaster of emotions.

KJTC, leicbri, edcw and 1 other person like this.
  20. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I used to feel that way too - but I realise now that's a pretty human reaction on her part. We as fans expect her to retain all the historical musical career details we pore over, and it's just not likely. How many of us remember all the details of the work we were doing 20 or 30 years ago? When she was promoting the Physical Deluxe Edition, she mentioned the video album and said, "I haven't seen it in many years". Part of my brain was going "Ok, that figures" and another part was going "WHAAAT? I see parts of it just about every week!" :D

And I think you're right - that's exactly why we haven't had her catalogue reissued before now. She was always focused on current projects; she was never someone who dwelt much on the past.

But I didn't take her to mean that her music wasn't an important part of her life - just that it wasn't the MOST important part. That's no surprise - after all, we're talking about someone who stepped out of the highest possible level of fame and commercial success in the mid-80s to concentrate on being a wife and mother. Family, friends, helping other people - those were her priorities, ahead of fame and success. But she clearly knew that her fame and success gave her a platform from which she could do good.

I'm reminded that Olivia was always very 'in the now'. In her later years, she realised that the greatest value she could offer was through her cancer advocacy work - but she did that whilst touring, and honouring her back catalogue in her live shows, and regularly meeting fans, so whilst her past successes weren't necessarily the most important thing to her, one of the lovely things about her was that she clearly recognised their importance to fans.

What it comes down to I guess is that we are Olivia Newton-John fans - and she was Olivia Newton-John. It's a bit like expecting the sun to shine light on itself - it can't, because it's the source of the light.

21. Bobby Morrow

I remember Elton John saying in his biography that he’d never listened to many of his albums again (particularly the 80s ones) since he’d recorded them. I suspect this might have been true of Olivia too.

mcd4959, RSteven, KJTC and 1 other person like this.
  22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

That interview Olivia mentioned that when her dad died that Matt did not tell her right away. I sorta remember her talking about that before but what was the reason why Matt did not tell her right away?

KJTC likes this.
  23. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I think it was because he knew that she was also awaiting the results of the cancer tests, so wanted her to have some peace (they were on holiday that weekend) before dealing with a potential double-whammy of bad news.

I have noticed that the exact sequence of events is sometimes different when the story is recounted (by Olivia, or in articles). Sometimes it's that she got the cancer news the same day her dad died; sometimes it's the same weekend. I suspect she couldn't remember the exact sequence herself - it must have been a very strange, scary time.

Song4U, RSteven and KJTC like this.
  24. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I'm really excited for a deluxe edition of GHV2. That was my first ONJ album.

leicbri, Jerms, Song4U and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I never thought I’d ever see the Only Olivia special on my TV planner.:)

[​IMG]

Richard_M, Pizza, leicbri and 6 others like this.