Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Hopefully this will encourage Universal Japan to reissue the 2010 mini-LP SHM box, and this time with the first 3 albums included.

RSteven, Song4U and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

That would be wonderful.

RSteven likes this.
  3. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

If they did that, I would want them to abandon the regular 5’ sleeves and go for 8" variants that some companies are going with. The Rolling Stones Mono set is great in the 8" size.

4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Wow, CD Japan now says only 19 supply quantity left. That means 7 people ordered in the past 24 hrs. I can’t wait for this to be released.

RSteven likes this.
  5. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

7. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

I am curious and without trawling through the thread, what is it that CD japan have 19 copies left of, yet you cannot wait for it to be released. Seems like a bit of a contradiction there ;)

8. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

They are taking pre-orders for their version of the Greatest Hits Deluxe Edition. As well as the remastered 1977 collection with bonus tracks, this one comes with Greatest Hits Vol.2 as a bonus disc, and also a poster.

RSteven and emjel like this.
  9. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Thanks. I thought you meant they were doing a re-issue of the 40th boxset. Is this vinyl or CD because if CD which I assume it is coming from a company called CD Japan, and it includes a poster, I wonder how big it is - if it’s A3 size thereabouts, isn’t it going to have a lot of folds in it to fit into a standard CD case ;) Do you have a link as I cannot seem to find full details of this forthcoming release /bonus track listing except seeing a front cover. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  10. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Japanese import Amazon US is selling is the exact same as CDJapan, complete with poster?
    This one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BBVH8...olid=1OXF23GJ9G07U&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

11. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Sure! It's available now from Amazon and a few others outlets:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hits-Japan-Deluxe-SHM-CD/dp/B0BBVH8R9N

Olivia Newton-John Greatest Hits - Japan Deluxe Edition - SHM-CD [Import] on WOW HD

Greatest Hits [Japan Deluxe Edition] [SHM-CD] Olivia Newton-John CD Album

I think poster-wise, it'll be something similar to the posters we got with the 2010 Japanese box-set. Small, with a single fold, perhaps?

RSteven likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Didn’t someone say the poster was similar to the Target ‘through the years’ LP cover?

RSteven, leicbri and David Campbell like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Can’t wait for tomorrow night!

[​IMG]
    I
    f you click on the above it should become clearer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Song4U and KJTC like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Olivia’s 10 best songs according to The Guardian.

[​IMG]

15. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Interesting picks. :cool: Here's my current top ten non-Grease tracks from ONJ (I had "Summer Nights" at #2 in another thread):

1. Magic - pretty much solidly takes the top spot, while the rest could be shuffled around
    2. A Little More Love - a bit too Bee Gees-esque during some parts for me, but still obviously great
    3. Twist of Fate - 80's fluff, perhaps, but I'd say of a very high order, and somewhat unique in her catalog
    4. Come on Over - a rousing chorus, which could make for a great singalong with her (I often do just that when I play it)
    5. I Honestly Love You - this sounds like something Jim Croce might've written, especially that haunting intro (deservedly a big hit)
    6. Deeper than the Night - seems to point the way to Physical (as does "Totally Hot"); contemporary, but not stuck in its era
    7. Heart Attack - I realize there's not much love for this one around here, but it was the tasty hook that sold me on Greatest Hits Vol. 2
    8. Free the People - lyrically a spiritual, but musically evokes the style of classic Schoolhouse Rock songs to these old ears
    9. Would You Follow Me - a new favorite from the recently released If Not For You deluxe edition; I like all the versions presented there :thumbsup:
    10. Have You Never Been Mellow - feels that way sometimes, but I try! :)

RSteven, Bobby Morrow and KJTC like this.
  16. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Nice to see Soul Kiss being given its due. And do you know, I've had 'Making A Good Thing Better' - long a least-favourite track - in my head for several days now. After watching Only Olivia on Saturday, who knows where it might land in my estimations? Possibly vying for position with 'The Biggest Clown'!

RSteven, Bobby Morrow and KJTC like this.
  17. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I think giving Xanadu one star is a bit harsh. It deserves another one for the 'so-bad-it's-good' factor.

Two of Kind would only deserve one star (if that!)

Bobby Morrow, David Campbell and KJTC like this.
  18. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

My default these days for ranking my favorites of an artist is to just go to my most played in iTunes, which has been syncing since 2012.

My top 25 ONJ are:
    1. Twist of Fate
    2. A Little More Love
    3. Magic
    4. Xanadu
    5. Please Mr Please
    6. Make a Move On Me
    7. Sam
    8. Deeper Than the Night
    9. The Rumour
    10. Physical
    11. Heart Attack
    12. Hopelessly Devoted to You
    13. You’re the One That I Want
    14. Have You Never Been Mellow
    15. I Honestly Love You
    16. Let Me Be There
    17. If You Love Me (Let Me Know)
    18. Suspended in Time
    19. Soul Kiss
    20. Livin’ in Desperate Times (7” Mix)
    21. Landslide
    22. Take Me Home Country Roads
    23. Tied Up
    24. Summer Nights
    25. Come On Over
    I’m basic, but I have lots of playlists that are just singles, so those have an advantage over time!

RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

The Only Olivia special looks like it’s 50 mins. Do they show commercials or no?

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I'm hoping that one of the US broadcasters will run the Only Olivia special.

KJTC likes this.
  21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

One week away from Greatest Hits Reissue!

According to Amazon I'll be getting the vinyl on Release day...but the standard CD November 9Th???? No set date for the Japanese Deluxe version but that is to be expected as its an import.

Yes. I bought all three. An album I already own on original LP and both the US and Australian version (Greatest Hits II there) on CD. Its a pretty good chunk of change but I really want to support this reissue initiative so it will continue.

RSteven, leicbri, edcw and 2 others like this.
  22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I guess I'm not too impressed with The Guardian.:shh:

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

No. The BBC don’t show adverts.

I think Only Olivia actually runs about 45 minutes in total.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  24. Bobby Morrow

Amazon U.K. are saying the GH CD will arrive on 25th October, but given the info you’ve received, I’m guessing this will be changed.

There are also saying the Japanese 2 CD set (which I haven’t ordered) will arrive on release day though. This doesn’t surprise me as Japan releases are extremely reliable.

RSteven likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

IIRC, she does nice versions of both MAGTB and Slow Dancing on Only Olivia.

leicbri likes this.