Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

So I have pre-ordered Volume 2 of the GH due in January. Haven't been able to find any details of what makes it a Deluxe Edition. Anyone heard anything? Probably don't need it as I have the Japanese Edition of GH, but hoping there may be some extra tracks on this release. I can always cancel the pre-order if nothing is different.

KJTC likes this.
  2. Fan4Eva

Fan4Eva Well-Known Member

Nope... sorry... the same track listing as disc 2 of the Japanese Edition of GH.

[​IMG]

PdB73 likes this.
  3. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

[​IMG]

4. Fan4Eva

Well, I am just going to have to turn in my membership and give away all my CD's. The only Xanadu-related one I knew of was that one that went OOP almost immediately and is like 5000.00 US.

Burningfool likes this.
  5. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Fortunately, there are a couple of these Magic picture discs on Discogs for considerably less.

Fan4Eva likes this.
  6. Fan4Eva

It’s up for pre-order on iTunes and shows the tracks there. Says it’s remastered (like the Japanese 2nd disc) it should say Vero-mastered. Interpret that as you will.

PdB73 likes this.
  7. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

I never cared about picture discs but this is nice… She always looks good in Xanadu !

:drool:

bru87tr and Fan4Eva like this.
  8. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

So, no "Summer Nights" or "I Can't Help It" again? Which versions of "Totally Hot" and "Landslide" did the original "international" version of Vol. 2/Vol. 3 have - the album or single versions?

9. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

I had the Festival reissue of GHV3 a few years ago and it had the LP versions of both "Landslide" and "Totally Hot" and that's what was on the recent Japan GH set. But the Japanese set used the 7" single edit of "Tied Up" so I'm assuming that will probably make its way onto the US edition along with the drop out at the beginning of "Landslide."

Fan4Eva likes this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes, I see it for pre-order. Looks like the exact PW Japan Deluxe Disc 2.
    I’m now on the fence about whether to get this...I just don’t understand why this US release essentially was already issued in Japan as Disc 2.
    Does PW think no one ordered this from Japan?

It still bothers me that Landslide on the Japan Deluxe is not the edited version like it’s suppose to be when they originally issued the GH Vol 2.

11. Fan4Eva

Not surprised . Unless there is some awesome artwork/booklet, I may pass on this one. I can only deal with disappointment so many times.

12. Fan4Eva

And the small left side dropout in the first chorus of Hopelessly Devoted, and the high note distortion of The Promise.

13. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pass for me. This is what I would have done (2 LP, 1 CD):

Side 1
    You're The One That I Want
    Hopelessly Devoted To You
    Summer Nights
    A Little More Love
    Deeper Than The Night

Side 2
    Totally Hot (7" Remix)
    Dancin' 'Round And 'Round
    I Can't Help It
    Magic
    Xanadu

Side 3
    Suddenly
    Physical
    Make A Move On Me
    Landslide (7" Edit)
    Heart Attack

Side 4
    Tied Up (7" Edit)
    Twist Of Fate
    Take A Chance
    Livin' In Desperate Times (7" Remix)
    Soul Kiss (7" Edit)

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The US GH CD edition did contain some photos that didn’t appear on the Japan SHM, so I expect GHV2 will be the same.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    KJTC likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

16. Jon_UK

Jon_UK Forum Resident

Bobby Morrow and KJTC like this.
  17. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It really is. This did not need to be a 2 LP set.

For me, it's the first conceptual misstep of this reissue series. All of the other issues have been in the execution, not the conception.

leicbri, Jon_UK and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

A couple of those sides don’t run much longer than 10 minutes.

I suppose the upside is it’s priced like a single LP. At least on this website. $30 is good for a 2 LP set, right?

KJTC and Jon_UK like this.
  19. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It's not bad at all, and will probably be even cheaper on Amazon. Primary Wave has been very good with the pricing for this series.

This particular 2 LP just feels wasteful and not the ideal listening experience. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 1 LP edition with just the US tracks, if they couldn't make the international version work on 1 LP.

TimM, Jon_UK and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. TimM

TimM Senior Member

That is an extremely strrrrretched 2 LP set. A very weird choice. What is the real advantage to turning that into 2 records? Simply money?

KJTC likes this.
  21. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

As others have mentioned, this is an underwhelming compilation.

Maybe they are saving "Summer Nights" and the Andy Gibb duets for the Duets album.

22. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I wonder if there are limitations now with this higher quality vinyl. I have seen this quite often with new albums from contemporary artists. Things that definitely would’ve been a single LP back in the day, stretched into 2 LPs with 3 songs per side.

They really missed an opportunity here to flush this out to 20 tracks. It makes it look like her 1971-1977 period was more productive and impactful than her 1978-1982 period.

TimM likes this.
  23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Maybe it’s mastered at 45rpm for better quality like my Charlie Brown Christmas Acoustic Sounds Hoffman/Gray pressing.

KJTC likes this.
  24. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Actually, that's one that I *do* have. It's a really nice item.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

Maybe - but both were omitted from the original releases back in 1982. The only territory that got Summer Nights was the UK. We got 'Olivia's Greatest Hits' that year, which covered her UK hits from 1971-1982. A lovely collection.

I can sort of understand them omitting I Can't Help It. It was technically an Andy Gibb track that she guested on. But Summer Nights was a huge internationaly hit! A very odd omission.

Bobby Morrow and John Adam like this.