Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. In Afrikaans that would have been Grootste Treffers. :)

Rosewater likes this.
  2. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I like the song, but the video (which seems to suffer from way too low of a budget and poorly directed/produced) should not have been released, IMO. It cheapened the project’s rollout.
    I also always felt that the album’s arrangements strangely favored Travolta’s vocals.

3. SCan

SCan Well-Known Member

FYI - The Target exclusive "Olivia Newton-John's Greatest Hits 1971-1982" charted at # 68 on Billboard's Current Albums Sales chart last week. Sales were not enough for the album to reach the 100 position Album Sales chart which includes both current and catalog titles.

leicbri likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

As a standalone Christmas song, I Think You Might Like It is actually decent. John Farrar could still knock out a good tune. It’s certainly preferable to anything else on the album too. Sadly, although the video brought lots of attention to the project, it was mostly negative. It was so cheap and ugly looking, and I think the public were confused as to why ‘Sandy & Danny’ had suddenly reunited after all these years.:)

That said, I think Travolta got more criticism than Olivia for the video.

5. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

I didn’t even realize that Travolta’s most successful movie is still Grease. I think both him and ONJ wrongly assumed that their dance moves in that video would be connected to the choreography of the Grease finale, which was pretty terrible even in the original film. Grease gets away with so much because of how mesmerizing both leads are in it. There is so much goofy nonsense going on in the background behind them.

6. VietAnh1111

VietAnh1111 is married to Stevie Nicks

I know the fact of the video for the first time is that Travolta have a private jet and supposedly bald but he got his hair spray-painted (kind of, I’m not sure) :)

7. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Sounds like a great album title. ;)

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  8. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I think it's a nice funny video, not really something to take really seriously as Olivia always calls it, I haven't played the Christmas album much yet but maybe this year I will. :)

VietAnh1111 likes this.
  9. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

You mean Sandy, Danny & his hairpiece?? :uhhuh:

Bobby Morrow and VietAnh1111 like this.
  10. VietAnh1111

VietAnh1111 is married to Stevie Nicks

Looks like a standard LEGO hair piece to me :D

NoYesMaybe likes this.
  11. xanadude

xanadude Forum Resident

Great song, recapturing the YTOTIW magic (and dance!) but yeah the video was obviously quickly thrown together on no budget (I believe it was Easterling's nephew(?) who did it?) and basically just for fun.
    But 10 million views is 10 million views! Without the cheese factor, it may have not gotten ANY attention at all. "There is no bad press" as they say!

John Adam and Pizza like this.
  12. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It begins:

Amazon just alerted me that my GHV2 Deluxe Edition CD has an estimated delivery date of Wednesday, January 18.

John Adam likes this.
  13. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

This is the message I got today from USA Amazon:
    New estimated delivery date:
    Thursday, January 19, 2023 - Wednesday, January 25, 2023

14. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I posted this in another thread but feel it is relevant here too.

The Whitney Houston biopic "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is coming out in a couple of weeks. You would think that there would be a soundtrack album hitting the shelves. If there is, it is a well hidden secret. Oh, and Primary Wave has a share of Whitney's catalog.

KJTC likes this.
  15. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

That there wasn’t even a single disc hit collection for Whitney at the time of her death still amazes me. I don’t expect Primary Wave to do any better by her catalog than Arista did, even though I’m happy overall with what PW has done with ONJ.

16. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

A sweet new animated lyric video for 'Every Time It Snows', one of Olivia's most stirring compositions.

x

17. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Nice video, though I think Christmas on My Radio would be a better choice.

It's a bit strange they still didn't re-release The Christmas Collection. I guess it's a matter of rights.

Rosewater and KJTC like this.
  18. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I think it’s only a matter of time until some type of Xmas compilation is released, as she recorded so much holiday music in the latter part of her career.

Song4U, leicbri and KJTC like this.
  19. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Those last two decades had so many Christmas and live albums.

20. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I've always seen this as a late-career ONJ 'classic'. It's a moving song - and coming, as it did, not long after Patrick's disappearance, I always wondered if the lyrics referenced that lost love.

The video is almost a bit too cheerful looking to go with the lyrics, but there are some lovely touches in there - Raven (her dog), the Xanadu rollerskates, and the Grease jacket...

Chris_Sydney likes this.
  21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Find those studio recordings of What If and Sea of Pain and include them as bonus tracks. John Farrar must know what happen to them and what Master Tape they were recorded on. PW are you listening?

KJTC and leicbri like this.
  22. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I agree. For years, the best versions available have been these YouTube rips, which do a reasonable job of muting the background noise, but it would be amazing to have these in high quality.

WHAT IF:

SEA OF PAIN:
    https://youtu.be/_0h_hloB4jw

Mezepokaj, VietAnh1111 and KJTC like this.
  23. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

They could release them with the B2B songs (and maybe some demos or unreleased tracks from the same period), but PW lacks creativity for this...

24. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Great video. :)

NoYesMaybe and VietAnh1111 like this.
  25. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

1:18.00 of cover magz around the world! WOW!!!

Too bad there’s not a bit of Olivia’s music in the background…

Mezepokaj likes this.