Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Going by most played:

1. Suspended in Time
    2. Fool Country
    3. Recovery
    4. Love and Let Live
    5. Changes
    6. Shaking You
    7. Not Gonna Give into It
    8. Walk Through Fire
    9. Boats Against the Current
    10. Anyone Who Had a Heart

David Campbell likes this.
  2. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah, a friend of mine sent me an article from some online site that talked about her shocking new diagnosis. I looked at the date on the article, thinking it must have been from a year ago, but it was from last week! I texted my friend back to tell him that it was old news and that Olivia's even had to deal with reports that she's already dead. He had no idea about any of it -- the article he sent me was the first he'd heard about it.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

You’d think they’d do a bit of fact checking!

I’m sick of reading about her ‘new cancer battle”.

RSteven likes this.
  4. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

It's all about the clicks. They'll say anything at all in order to get you to click on the article. It's disgusting.

MMM likes this.
  5. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

I am a bit late to the party here as I just watched the 60 minutes interview... I must admit it was kind of depressing to me as I didn't know/realized her cancer was stage 4... Even though she looked good and seemed to be in good spirits, stage 4 is... well, never good news.

It was also interesting to me to see Chloe interviewed, I saw her as thoughtful yet fragile, not exactly the idea I had of her before (sadly) because of her look. I should know better...

All and all, a good interview regardless of the sad topic. I understand better now why Olivia might not be into spending time on her old music and legacy. I'll try to stop whining about that in the future (although I doubt I will).

Oh and her husband is one hot silver fox! :D

6. Bobby Morrow

Her cancer has been stage 4 for over 2 years now. Perhaps longer if the reoccurrence in 2013 was classed as that..

From what I know about stage 4 patients, often drugs can help, but they’ll only work for so long before the body becomes used to them. After that, unless a different drug can be found to hold back the cancer, the end of the patient’s life can happen quickly.

7. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

A musician I've known for quite a long time was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about four years ago. He was given 12-18 months to live, so he set to putting his affairs in order and doing the things he wanted to do. He's still alive and doing remarkably well right now, four years later.

There are some very effective treatments out there, thankfully. They might not make the cancer go away, but they can definitely give someone a good quality of life for quite a few years. It seems that's where Olivia is, which is a great place to be given everything she's dealing with.

RSteven likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

It’s true that treatment has come a long way. I still think Olivia had some sort of setback around the middle of last year when she lost weight and looked quite poorly. Then of course she broke her sacrum..

Whatever has happened since, she seems better. Brighter, and out and about again.

RSteven likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

I’ve heard snippets of this story before and remember Silver Surfer being announced as Olivia’s ‘next’ movie back in the day. Never knew about the McCartney connection though. Olivia singing Paul’s songs would have been great for me. And this forum of course.:D

Silver Surfer movie - what it would have been about

fsutall likes this.
  10. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

I knew her cancer was back but most of what I read was gossip BS so I didn't know It was as serious as stage 4 cancer... Hearing It directly from her in the interview was a bit shocking to me. I guess I was in denial...

11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It could have been fantastic in the right hands. The biggest strike against it is the technology to make such a film properly with the scope of the source material would have been nearly impossible in 1979-1980,so unfortunately it probably would have ended up as B-movie shlock. Today with the technology available something like that would at least work visually.

It also sounds like it wouldn't have been a musical in the classic sense. In other words I doubt the characters would have broken out in song. It probably would have a McCartney instrumental soundtrack with perhaps Olivia singing a song or two over the opening or closing credits,and of course more on the accompanying soundtrack. It sounds like it would have been Olivia's first proper acting role sans singing in the film itself.

It sounds interesting. If anything it would have possibly yielded one hell of a soundtrack.

12. David Campbell

Again though,stage 4 cancer is not a death sentence universally anymore. It can be fatal,yes,but it really depends on a lot of factors. For many Stage 4 cancers can become chronic illnesses that can be controlled and managed for an undetermined stretch of time. Months for some,years in Olivia's case thus far,and now more and more are seeing it managed for a decade or more.

Judging from the fact that it was quietly revealed in an article a few months ago that Olivia briefly had mets to her lungs as far back as the 2013 occurance ( it was linked in this or the other ONJ thread here I think) ,it's likely she's had Stage 4 cancer since then,meaning she's been living with it for 6 years now,which means she's already beaten the odds in many ways if you want to look at statistics.

From all outward appearances,she had a set back of sorts mid last year and is now coming off the end of that.She will likely have more periods of set backs followed by recovery and a stabilization. That's just the nature of the beast that is living with cancer.

Edit: here's the link to the article I mentioned above. It goes into pretty significant detail of what she's been through and her treatments.
    Olivia Newton-John and John Easterling | Culture Magazine

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    MMM likes this.
  13. David Campbell

If love is real is probably my favorite ONJ deep cut. Whenever I hear that song ,whether it's a if it's on shuffle or if I'm spinning the MAGTB Vinyl or disc,I have to just stop and listen. It's a beautiful song well produced. I wish she had sung it live. I don't think she has at this point.

All the others you mention are high on my list as well. I'd like to add "I will touch you" from her second Aussie/Europe album, Suspended in time from Xanadu,"Falling" from Physical and Emotional Tangle from Soul Kiss to that list. That would make up my essential deep cuts ONJ.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. David Campbell

The irony is with Olivia is that she doesn't know how to "act" sexy,but her natural demeanor has always been sexy in it's own way. So when she tries to be seductive and "pose" it often seems off,but when she's not trying is when her real sexy self comes through. To me,she was sexier on the back cover of MAGTB than say,the back of Soul Kiss.

mcd4959 and RSteven like this.
  15. dzjc

dzjc Forum Resident

Check out "Don't Throw It All Away" from the album Come On Over, (I think). It's got some excellent 12-string playing.

David Campbell and RSteven like this.
  16. David Campbell

Oh for sure. That whole album had great instrumentation and production. All of the John Farrar produced ONJ albums are well recorded and produced, but Come On Over particularly just sounded wonderful. I think it was her final of several records in a row that was recorded at Abby Road Studios. I think her next several were recorded in the US .

17. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

Olivia looked so beautiful last week accepting her award. What a gift of a human being she is!

x

RSteven, David G. and David Campbell like this.
  18. David Campbell

A new pic taken over the weekend care of singer Kelly Lang of herself and husband country music Star TG Sheppard,Barry Gibb and his wife and of course Mr. and Mrs. Easterling hanging out.

[​IMG]

I gotta say I dig the glasses on Olivia. I've always had a thing for a girl in glasses :love:

JeffMo, RSteven, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Olivia’s never in the house these days.:D

RSteven likes this.
  20. David Campbell

Given she spent most of the fall through winter there recovering from her broken pelvis,she can be forgiven for wanting to get out of the house!

I'm frankly glad to see so much of her the last while. I admit that when things went quiet right after the Wellness walk I had a weird feeling something was amiss. Of course now we know why. She's right now back to her radiant ,bubbly self and it makes me happy :).

Is it too much to hope that while she's doing so well she might finally get to work on getting that box set she keeps teasing every few years? I know that sounds completely selfish,but it WOULD possibly be a revenue generator for her cancer and Wellness center....so...

:shh::hide:

RSteven likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

It’s possible, but you can imagine now that she’s a bit sprightlier there’ll be other things she wants to do over that!

I mean, even when she wasn’t at her best she must have been working on that skin care range she’s so proud of, so you never know quite what she’s up to...

RSteven and David Campbell like this.
  22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

One of my favorite ONJ “deep album” cuts:

23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

And another favorite “deep album” cut:

David Campbell and KJTC like this.
  24. David Campbell

She's always got something going on for sure. Odds are if a box set is in the works she has someone working on her behalf compiling it. Maybe she needs to break out the old Soul Kiss era riding crop and motivate them...:D

RSteven and Pizza like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

I wonder if that outfit is in the auction?

:D