Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice!
    Yeah tell me about it. 25+ years it took for the old 15 tracker MWH-Rhythm of Youth :sigh: :laugh:

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

But I bet you appreciated it when you did get it!

I’ve never been able to get a legit copy of Barry Gibb’s Now Voyager. Every CD I’ve seen has been a bootleg. It’s not even that good of an album, but it’s so annoying that I can’t find it.:D

Jarleboy and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Happy the search is over, geesh...
    There's a few promo singles I've been after for decades, it's one thing when an astronomical price is set to it, but when zero even show face ever you start to question your sanity :laugh:
    I'll keep an eye out for that Gibb for you when my locals start opening back up!

4. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah. Back in the '80s, I went to the local record stores every week to check out the new releases. Any time I spotted a new Olivia CD in the racks, I'd grab it. Some titles were kept in stock for a couple of years, but others seemed to be gone for good within a month or two. Some titles I swear I only saw one time -- when I bought them -- and then never again.

Jarleboy and c-eling like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I was even more lucky than I thought then.:)

In 1987 the only Olivia CDs available here were Soul Kiss and Olivia’s Greatest Hits (the 15 track one). I’d seen an advert in Record Collector for a company who imported US CDs to the U.K so I wrote to them asking for a list and there was a whole batch of albums by her, Linda Ronstadt and The Carpenters! Some titles were missing from Olivia’s list like Have You Never Been Mellow and Making A Good Thing Better, but they came along a couple of years later. I hate to say it but when they came I was disappointed with the packaging on most of Olivia’s titles... You could tell they hadn’t put much thought into them. As I recall, the best looking one one the first GH. At least that had all the original artwork.

Jarleboy, RSteven and David G. like this.
  6. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yeah, having access to a number of large chain record stores in a couple of big cities was a huge advantage for CD shopping back then. I think Have You Never Been Mellow was one that I never saw again after I bought it. Seems like the stand-alone Don't Stop Believin' was another that was quite scarce. The 2-on-1 albums stuck around longer, if I recall correctly.

The day I bought my first CD player in 1984, I picked up GH1 and 2 at the same store. They were quite nice -- nicer than most of the later MCA releases in terms of packaging -- and they sounded so great on CD.

I was disappointed with the artwork on all the later MCA releases, too, up until Physical. I don't recall any other labels putting out such shoddy artwork at the time, either. Seems like most labels gave you decent artwork to go along with the premium price you paid for the CDs, but not MCA with their "Compact Disc Compact Price" line. I don't recall the MCA releases being any cheaper than anything else, either. Back in the '80s, almost every single-disc CD was $14.99 here. (With the lies from the record labels that CDs would get cheaper as more people bought CD players.)

Funny how the artwork on those MCA CDs doesn't seem so bad when you compare them to the Festival remasters! At least we have the Japanese box set of mini-LPs to give us some really nice artwork on Olivia's catalog.

Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and RSteven like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

The mini LP replicas are quite beautiful for Olivia's 40th Anniversary Collection. It remains one of my very favorite CD box sets out of the dozens in my music library. The sound is pretty grand too in my opinion. Wow, and I managed to get number 40 in like new condition, and I did not have to take a loan out on the home to buy it. I see they are listed on Discogs for close to one thousand dollars right now, and I see none available on eBay at the moment.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and David G. like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Yes, the (minimal) cover art they used on the MCA CDs was mostly of good quality. Apart from Come On Over and Clearly Love (too dark) and MAGTB (unnecessarily cropped front cover).

My GHV2 has a pink background with ‘Fed Up’ wrongly listed on the back. I’m assuming this wasn’t the original release.

9. Bobby Morrow

10. Jerms

Jerms Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Love that series of photos! It’s fitting that one of them ended up on a collection entitled “Icon.”

RSteven, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

Beauty in abundance there.

Joti Cover and RSteven like this.
  12. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Joti Cover, David G. and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

MDNA4ever, Joti Cover, mp971 and 3 others like this.
  14. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

My sincerest condolences on your passing, Bobby.

Joti Cover, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I’d had a good innings.

16. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Sometimes you are very happy to come across what turns out to be "fake news". :agree:

17. Bobby Morrow

Great picture of Olivia and Lee Kramer in London, November 1978.

[​IMG]

18. Bobby Morrow

RSteven and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Anyone know the answer to the above question? I know some of you Olivia die-hards will have that Japanese CD.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I have the cd, but no poster-I did buy it used though.

21. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I have that one, too (black triangle!), but I don't have the photo you reference there. It must have been included as a separate insert -- or not all the copies of the CD included it.

22. Bobby Morrow

Thanks. I suppose it could be a mistake. Like the poster they have listed as part of the 2010 Clearly Love SHM CD package...

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I watched Hollywood Nights on youtube last night, which I’d never seen before and a really great performance of Magic on Midnight Special (I think). She sounded great on both and on the Magic performance was surprisingly sexy.

mcd4959 and RSteven like this.
  24. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Hi everybody! I have the LP version of the same item and I have to say the "eyes closed" picture looks suspiciously like the one in the gatefold spread. Tracklisting is the same as the CD's incidentally - halfway between the meagre US 10 songs and the European 20 songs versions of the album ( it contained pre Grease hits too).

25. Bobby Morrow

It’s a great sounding CD. As you’d expect. Nice to get the edited version of Landslide too. Haven’t had that on CD before.

Jarleboy and mp971 like this.