OMD - boy, have I gotten into them!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEG, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

Used to be a very casual fan but their last 2 studio discs havce got me a believer - just great synth stuff. Love it.

JeffMo likes this.
  2. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

the new thing is okay too. I kind of like the sounds, even if it's sort of a New Order tribute as well.

3. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

New album is excellent.

JeffMo likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great band, and I agree the two most recent releases are great. Bands are supposed to have a dropoff in the late period but the reunion seems to have energized them or something. Try to catch them live if you get a chance - I saw them on the History of Modern tour and it was very entertaining.

5. DEG

i BOUGHT A BLU RAY CONCERT DISC FOR ONLY $9.99!!! Can't wait to watch that baby!

6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Dazzle Ships is one of my all-time favorite albums...get the newer version with the extra tracks!

Brudy and Colocally like this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

What's the SQ like on the remasters?

Always been a fan ..the early synthpop stuff is great.

8. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

This one sounds good to me...I don't know anything about waveforms and all that though. I just go with my ears.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

That's good - the newer ones are easy to find & there's bonus tracks.

Already have Dazzle Ships and the debut , just A&M & Organisation & maybe the recent ones.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Have you heard "Junk Culture", "Crush" and "The Pacific Age" lately? Loved them back in the 80's but I suspect that these haven't aged too well...

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I haven't heard those ones but from what I know/have heard they went very commercial/mainstream following Dazzle Ships and that those mid 80's albums aren't as good as the early more experimental albums. I may buy one or two of them after I get the others - I do like the singles from that era,but IMO they're not in the same league as Joan of Arc,Maid of Orleans etc

12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Weird band, overrated and underrated at the same time, capable of a wonderful single like Talking Loud and Clear from LP Junk Culture (1984). Top 10 hit in the Netherlands and still a gem after all these years. I like their sleeves and artwork too!

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The remasters that came out in 2002/2003 were done by Simon Heyworth IIRC - don't have them in front of me to check. I find them to be good, but I never had the original cds to compare with and I suspect they are significantly louder. No doubt there are some on this forum that would hate the reissues so the OP should probably search the archives on SHF to get the full perspective of reviews.

They can make the poppiest the singles and the most experimental electronic b-sides at the same time. I highly recommend Navigation: The OMD B-sides collection.

And I agree about the artwork - sort of like New Order in that regard, the physical product is worth far more than just the music.

14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Just received the Tesla Girl promo 12inch yesterday, interesting remix, as for PA and Crush, I think they have aged well, both are more "Organic" and filled with some great non chart songs, and agree with Jeff on the B-side comp, The Dead Girls off of Pacific is one of my favorites :)

JeffMo likes this.
  15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Please note that the Architecture & Morality remaster is (was?) also available with a bonus DVD containing two promo videos, a Top Of The Pops performance and a full concert from 1981.

c-eling likes this.
  16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I played that Tesla Girls US 12" to death when it came out! That one's a classic.

I love the early albums but my favorite track is still Women III off of Crush so don't pass that album up.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  17. bokonon

bokonon Forum Resident

Thanks for making me spend more money. I cruised over to their sound cloud website - new stuff sounds good! Ordered the vinyl...

18. DEG

Then ew ones really struck a chord with me - hard to explain. Been listening to them for years and years but these last two have pushed me over! I'll have to look for that B-sides disc!

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Growing up in the '80s I somehow managed to block out OMD except for "If You Leave", and even then I didn't know that was OMD until many years later. I bought Crush and Junk Culture recently and love them.

20. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I've also been on a OMD tear lately, having skipped them the first go around. But I'm firmly in the early camp - up to and including Dazzle Ships. After that they kind of lose me. But A&M is an incredible record, I can't get enough of it.

21. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The remasters are loud but not brick -walled.
    Architecture & Morality —The New Stone Age Remaster
    [​IMG]
    vs old CD:
    [​IMG]

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The recent remasters are ok. Yet despite the remasters being not brickwalled, the UK/German's are much smoother. I'm torn between the remaster of Organization and the original. That one's pretty good. The remaster of s/t is less shrill.

It's coincidental that ganma posted those pics. I'd just been comparing the two the other day. The remaster is just not as smooth. I burned two copies of the orig at different speeds (to compare between players/speeds because I always found the cd to be too bright.) And guess what? I found both copies to be smoother, and with more bass than the original!

So, gamma, burn yourself a copy of Architecture and Morality orig cd and weigh in.

But for God's sake don't get the Dazzle Ships remaster. My favorite OMD. I've heard it many, many times. If you've only heard the remaster, get the original cd. And on vinyl, the US Epic is better than the UK orig.

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

No, the physical product is not worth more than the music.

The design is wonderfully similar because Peter Saville did both the OMD and New Order artwork.

ARK likes this.
  24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Side One of "Crush" is still epic and "The Pacific Age" is very underrated.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Time to revisit these then, especially since they are like 3-5 € on vinyl ;)

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.