On the "Let it Be" movie ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

If you look at this issue from a certain angle, it needs to be released as a big physical media box set while there is still a market for such an animal.

John Porcellino likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's not high definition, but the cleaned up video of "Don't Let Me Down" looks great.

goer, Joti Cover, willy and 8 others like this.
  3. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

"Let It Be" is a major part of the Beatles' creative output; it should not be buried. If they can remix "Sgt. Pepper", they can recut "Let it Be". Make it look great, include the full rooftop concert.

willy, maywitch, RonBaker and 3 others like this.
  4. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That's because you were too busy playing with Zep.
    And since you're not alive anymore, you probably won't ever see it.

5. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

No you weren't! You were born in 1948.
    Wait.....how did you get on this forum? How did you get online?

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

[​IMG]

NO cares for you! Next!

Carl Harrison and O Don Piano like this.
  7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Now that I've seen it (finally!), I can't understand anyone's objections to its release. There are a few tiffs with Paul, all pretty tame. You can tell everyone is is getting ready to move on, but I just don't see the acrimony I expected. Maybe the myth is larger than the movie itself.

I enjoyed it and would definitely watch a cleaned-up version again.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There’s got to be some amazing footage we haven’t seen. That segment in the Anthology where three of them convince George to do the rooftop was astonishing.

Man at C&A and linclink like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Maintain your status quo, please continue to call him "Ringo".

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It's better than calling him Marlena.

Bigbudukks and linclink like this.
  11. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

To me, it is more watchable than MMT and is not a bad movie. Didn't it win something for best soundtrack the year it was released? I think this should be released because, despite the minor acrimony and lack of interest visible onscreen in some instances, it is a valuable historical document. It is more or less then end of The Beatles, captured on film. I first saw this on a legit VHS release in the 1980s and was a little disappointed at Lennon looking so disheveled and George H. look like he'd like to be anywhere else but there, but there are some great and funny moments that shine through. I haven't seen this in ages but I liked Linda bringing her kids in and Ringo goofing with Heather with the drum kit. Also they do a version of Maxwell's Silver Hammer in this where Mal Evans bangs an actual blacksmith's anvil in front of the group. There's neat little touches like that which really add life to the movie. There's no real outright fights on this between The Beatles, certainly nothing like the alleged fistfight between Lennon and Harrison after Yoko ate one of George's crackers or some such nonsense.

Keith V, cmcintyre, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  12. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I've never seen Let It Be until just now, thanks to Amsterdamman2015. It didn't really do much for me until the rooftop concert at the end.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I can't confirm who wants it out or who doesn't and the actual reasons for it...all I know is that as a part of Beatles-history-documentation, this movie warrants release. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with The Beatles being shown in the light of a disintegrating band...it's a part of "the story" and deserves to be "out there". Besides that, unless you're a fan who knows what was specifically going on at that time of their career, i don't see it as necessarily "negative". It shows good and bad moments, musically, with ONE moment of actual dissent...and it has a killer "payoff" with the rooftop sequence.

To keep this thing under wraps for any reason at ALL would be a crime and a disservice to the millions of fans who clamor for it with each passing year. In my heart, I do believe that it'll come out at some point; hopefully when that happens (yes, "WHEN")it'll be done properly. The deluxe sets that can be put together of this thing (both, aural and visual) is staggering.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I find MMT very enjoyable as long as it's being consciously watched in time-period perspective. Standing on it's own, forgetting it's THE BEATLES or that it's during a time of 1967-style indulgence, it's not the greatest thing to sit through. But Like LIB, although two completely different types of movies, it has to be approached in context of where The Beatles (and "their" culture)stood at that point in history.

15. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Great summary. despite the bad feelings, exhaustion, and john's heroin addiction, they're still the best band of all time and it shows.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Is this another Beatles ' first?

maywitch likes this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"One Plus One" was in post-production while "Let It Be" was being filmed, and beat it to the theaters by about 12 months. Of course that was The Stones working on ONE song, and had other material in it ... so it may be a case of apples and oranges (or abkcos).

18. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Its one of the most important pieces of footage in the history of popular culture. The only time they were really filmed recording music. Its the bloody Beatles recording the album Let It be! shut up!

Chris M, maywitch, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  19. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yep, I agree. Wasn't trying to say MMT is a bad movie but... suffice it to say I don't think The Beatles really knew how to make movies without someone helping them. MMT would have been great with a script and having some of the experienced actors actually do something. It could have been fairly brilliant, as the Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields videos were in my opinion. Sorry I'm going off topic... On LIB it seems like they just let the cameras roll to capture whatever happened, some of which was good and some not so good. I guess that was the whole "warts and all" concept they were aiming for. I have re-watched some portions of my copy of the video after reading this thread and I think they really come to life playing the old rock and roll numbers, it really seems like they are having a great time with Billy P. doing that even more than when they are playing their "new" material.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still remember the feeling I had when I walked out of the movie theater after seeing it when it was released. I was feeling kind of sad.

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

People overdo the negativity of the film, I think they read too much into it and have read so much about the sessions that they project that negativity onto it. When I saw it in 1981/2 (whenever the last time it was shown on UK television), I really enjoyed it although at the time I was on a huge Beatles kick. Crazy to think that it's 35 years since this was last shown in the UK on television (not sure about elsewhere in the world). I have seen it since through nefarious means, but would love the cleaned up and remastered version to come out that's been sitting on the shelf for the last 14 years or so.

22. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I like at the beginning of an alternate Across The Universe when John says "you're right Richie".

DRM likes this.
  23. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I don't get what's wrong with seeing The Beatles as humans. That's one of the thins that irritates me about Paul the most-he always has to say 'we'd get mad, and then realize that we loved each other'. He always has to bring that kind of stuff off-'we would argue, and we'd tell each other to bugger off. Then later on, we'd make up, we loved each other'. I mean, I think we all know that. And what if they didn't love each other anymore? Who gives a crud?

24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yep....and Johns comments about it probably don't help. if we didn't know all that stuff people would probably have a different take, theres a lot more of them having fun and messing about than bickering

Colocally likes this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Listening to Let It Be via some of the earliest releases...is very direct and raw listening.

Unfiltered and open ended/close to the source.

Except for the orchestrated parts.

And the choruses.

Sometimes real beats refined.

Or at least is a nice change of pace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.