On the "Let it Be" movie ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

The rooftop performance is pretty cool....but not enough to save the film

William Abely likes this.
  2. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Why would Yoko or anyone making the decisions have a problem with that movie, when whatever bad vibes the movie reveals (and it's not even as bad as people always say, since the few scenes where they bicker are compensated by those where they're having fun) are from 50 YEARS AGO, with all of the main players now either dead or elderly?

I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason it hasn't come out yet has more to do with Apple having a kind of 20-year business plan where they need to keep some of their ammunition dry, lest they eventually end up with nothing at all to sell.

3. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I am constantly amazed at how difficult it used to be to see stuff we take for granted now. I went to Beatlefest as a kid just so I could see the promo clips and buy a couple bootlegs!

4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Yep. That was the only time I saw it for another 20 years. All my early Beatle viewing came at those glorious midnight movie shows in the 1970's. Different world now.

maywitch, JDeanB and sekaer like this.
  5. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I'm going to be watching that tomorrow. I haven't see the whole film since the late 70s. Thanks to the member who posted that link. It's life. It's relatively uncontrived. And as I say life is short and it's only getting shorter. So bring out a high quality legit reissue already.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and JDeanB like this.
  6. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

As the greatest studio band of all time, it's worth seeing the process in which they created their records. Unfortunately, there's only one album documented and that's Let It Be. With John, there's plenty of times, when he's trying to work out a part which meant focus and concentration on his guitar. Any other Beatle footage of him usually was with songs they all already knew well so he could be his typical self. Here, he's working on brand new songs and can't bring the personality he normally did in front of cameras. The negative aspects have been blown out of proportion in hindsight due to us fanatics knowing everything that was going on like others have said. Even the Beatles are allowed some negative moments but that hardly shows in the film and on the Nagra tapes. They wouldn't have released the film in the first place if they were cursing each other out or constantly glaring at each other. It's not comparable to their movies because those were scripted and it's not comparable to concerts where they knew the songs inside out and could play around while performing. They are learning brand new songs and can't be totally entertaining at all times yet they still were most of the time. It's fascinating seeing any studio work by them and this is all we have.

As a side note, I've done some writing for Baseball Almanac and been a stat nerd since I was a little kid, Koufax is not the greatest because it took him the minors and 5 years of mediocrity in the majors before he has his 6 years of greatness. Walter Johnson is still the greatest pitcher of all time because he was the most successful in the dead ball era and the most successful of his time when the ball was live in the 20's. His longevity of dominance is the best of anyone who has lived especially winning the 2nd most games to Cy Young on the constantly last place Washington Senators. Koufax had a great team around him and was only dominant for 6 years. He may be the greatest lefty just above Lefty Grove. I'm sure you know the numbers of all three. Imagine seeing Walter Johnson even late in his prime on video- that's what it's like seeing the Beatles at the end of their prime.

7. I think it has more to do with the feelings that Let It Be brings up for Paul and Ringo. While there were only a couple of scenes of them bickering, I'm sure it brings back loads more uncomfortable memories.

8. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Like it or not, Rock 'n Roll has no immunity from life as we know it. Ever since "Singing Brakeman" Jimmie Rodgers contracted Tuberculosis and passed away with so much left to give in 1933, to Tom Petty's keeling over of heart failure in his own garage, those who have sung and played for us have sooner or later had to meet with much misfortune and bad vibrations in one form or another. "Let it Be" is one such artifact. As much as the Beatles left for us as a self-contained band, that kind of worldwide spotlight can make some of the mightiest men beg for mercy. John, Paul, George & Ringo had been to both the loftiest heights of heaven as well as the plunging depths of hell, and LIB was, as some here have repeated many times, an uncomfortable record of a different band than the one that came bursting off that plane in February of '64. Like Elvis, Creedence Clearwater, Buddy Holly, Badfinger, Karen Carpenter, Led Zeppelin, Marvin Gaye, scores of others in the last century, eventually we come to find out the carriage cruelly turned back into a pumpkin, spitting many fans out onto the street. The Beatles, as the band we knew them to be at the time, were NOT supposed to end this way. It's a jolt. It's disappointing. You didn't want that party to end. But reality & fate takes turns, some of which we don't like. And that's what "Let it Be" is; Recorded evidence that the four of them were indeed, human beings, getting quickly bored with the bus ride it had become. So hell yes....put it out there, once & for all. Show the story & don't lie about it. But always remember; THE MUSIC IS THERE, dammit. Un-erasable now for over 50 years. We need to always repeat this when & where music like this is concerned; ..."Don't be sad it's over....Be happy that it happened."

sbeaupre, Blue Cactus, JDeanB and 5 others like this.
  9. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I don't buy this. I mean, this isn't a sex tape or footage of them doing cocaine. It's a music documentary with one slightly uncomfortable scene of bickering. Compared to the humiliating footage of celebrities that is common place today, it's nothing. And again, it was 50 years ago. I'm sure the Let It Be era is more "alive" in the minds of obsessive fans like ourselves than it is for Paul and Ringo.

If it's not about money, then it's about egos and people telling Yoko or George's wife that "that movie is all about Paul and the others look like they're his back-up musicians, it'll hurt George or John's brand going forward".

10. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Let It Be is a poorly edited, depressing movie with some incredible stuff in it. I find it hard to watch.

When they put it out again, they should do two discs; one with a nicer, more digestable (and longer) edit and the other with the original officailly released film from 1970. If possible, of course add anything close to a complete performance to a third disc. All the Beatlemaniacs love that stuff. No revisionist crap, no Whoopi Goldberg, no nonsense. Beatles' fans don't need to be told how to listen, or why this or that was important. Just shuddup and let me watch the Beatles.

Knowing Apple they'll probably screw up the audio for everything and you'll never hear the real original sound of the Let It Be film. (That will of course, be a whole other thread!)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Let It Be is my favorite Beatles movie.

I've only seen it twice on VHS tape. I find all of the studio footage fascinating. I'd watch the film if it were just that. I can understand how some might find that boring, but not me.

I love the three complete takes, warts and all, but, obviously, the rooftop concert is the masterwork in this film. Truly brilliant. I could watch that for hours on a loop.

I guess I understand the whole "depressing" take, but I don't understand why that would make it unwatchable. We know they weren't happy at that time. Is that so hard to accept?

Help! is my least favorite Beatles movie. I even like Magical Mystery Tour more.

Whatever has the most material is what I will buy. Preferably, more uncut rooftop footage.

I agree, they'll mess something up, but as long as the film is intact and sounds good, then I'll be happy.

Revelator, oboogie, somnar and 6 others like this.
  12. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I saw it when it first came out, we skipped school a day the week it came out, and went to the big theater downtown in Pittsburgh. I've had the movie all my life, first on VHS... etc.
    For all the fans that it has become some mystery or enigma ... release the thing already.
    It is a part of Beatles history, and there are great moments there... the roof top is amazing!

LET IT BE.

polchik, oboogie, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  13. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I would watch (and enjoy) Let it Be way more often than I would Help! or Magical Mystery Tour.

polchik, vitorbastos123, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I want the Let It Be film to be re-released so I can watch it again - it's been decades since I've seen it and I would like to see it again.

I would expect that my impressions on seeing it again would be similar to what I remember - rather disappointed with the way it's put together, the way the music is portrayed, and the way the Beatles come across. In some aspects this is reflecting the band's difficulties and their stage of development, as the music reflects. But I'm sure it could have been better.

I would like The Beatles to re-release the Let It Be film as it was, as the historical document of the band goofing around without purpose in a studio, with a nice bit of live playing thrown in. I would like to think that the original footage still remains, so that a new film document could be released. One that focuses on the good music the band created in the studio. One which doesn't highlight moments of interpersonal difficulty like a trashy reality-TV program. By all means show some of their interaction, but keep it balanced and focus on the music. And give us the complete rooftop songs - this is probably the most significant part of the whole film - showing the band in their death-throws can still "come together" and enjoy each other's company in the moment, and show what The Beatles were really capable of as a live band.

15. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Personally, I think that Apple are in complete denial regards the Let it be movie.

99 percent of Beatles fans own it by hook or crook and it's been televised/had official releases on various formats (albeit years ago)... They're acting like no one's ever seen it!

Just get it out there in the best possible quality, preferably with a load of extras, and be done with it.

It's part of the bands history..... Just let it be :agree:

16. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

There is a pristine remastered version of "Let It Be" available via U****** with multitrack sound (during the Apple sessions). Seeing it with superb sound and unmessed with video (using the original 16mm elements) makes it a very enjoyable experience with vibrant color and sound.

I have the LaserDisc version and it is truly a chore to watch. The DVD that I made from the U****** download is a totally different experience.

It is NOT AT ALL depressing. The only nasty scene in the entire movie was George's comment to Paul "Whatever it is that will please you, I'll do it". The fun that they had from working together in Apple Studios with Ringo's Octopus's Garden scene and Paul's comments about his perspective on playing a live concert at Leicester Du Monfort Hall etc make for an incredible documentary which was well-captured by Lindsay-Hogg. Even the Twickenham sessions (the Rock & Roll "Two Of Us", Suzy Parker etc) are enjoyable to watch when they're presented in crisp video and audio quality.

As has probably been mentioned, the LaserDisc, VHS, and Beta versions were made from a 35mm blow-up of the original 16mm film elements resulting in a blurry dark picture with a great deal of cropping of the image and absolutely awful audio. The version available on U***** doesn't suffer from any of these problems and certainly changed my perspective on "Let It Be".

When the version from the 16mm elements is released with excellent sound, many peoples' perspectives on "Let It Be" will be changed...

mc7t, somnar, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I can, and I do. Let It Be is one of my favourite music movies/docs.

somnar likes this.
  18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I just watched the link of the movie. Haven't seen it in full in many many many years. It's a joy to watch from the full performance of Two Of Us onwards. It's funny to watch John and Paul just before that with Paul going on and on and John just sitting there listening looking like he's thinking 'what is he prattling on about now' :D
    I taped the audio of the movie on a cassette straight off the Tv in 1980.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This might be true. As we know, this was a very difficult time for the group. So, even though very little of the unpleasantness appears in the film, working of the film might bring back those memories, as you say. It would be like looking at an old picture of an ex-girlfriend. The picture might be a very pleasant one, but seeing the picture will remind you of the night she tried to shoot you.

WilliamWes likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The music is fabulous in this film. An amazing document of recording an album featuring three (3) #1 Hit Singles.

maywitch, tages, MsMaclen and 2 others like this.
  21. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

That's a good way to say that hindsight has made it harder to watch for some and it seems a lot here haven't seen it in a while and just remember the one scene from Anthology.

And that brings up the point that if they could release Anthology with that infamous one tiny bit of bickering and comment on it - Paul, George and Ringo -all commenting on that one scene, then it shouldn't be embarrassing now for fans or for them. It's been another 20 years buffer time added on since 1970 and we should be over the breakup of a band by now.

MsMaclen, JDeanB and Fleet Fox like this.
  22. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

The Let It Be movie is like an old garden that has not been looked after all overgrown and tired.
    But get a good landscape gardener in, a bit of hard work and there is something beautiful just waiting to be created :)

blutiga and JDeanB like this.
  23. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

Off topic a small bit but the Let It Be album is such a gem. It gets a hard time when compared with the polished studio stuff but it has a great feel all on it's own. Every song on it is good to great and it is (despite the rows) a band effort, where everyone has a moment to shine (even Ringo even though no lead vocal his drumming is solid!). A wonderful way to finish up a career for a great band.

The album will be available on vinyl next week (D'agostini magazine) for 15 pounds/20 euros
    a bargain in your into vinyl and you do not have it already ..

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Let it Be movie is similar to The 1977 Elvis CBS special.
    It was at one time shown to the masses with no problem.
    The real fans have seen it many times since and have access to it still.
    The Elvis special has been on YouTube for years.
    But both are near the end of artists careers, and life for Elvis, and each show warts and all of that period but both have amazing moments.
    What Apple and Elvis Presley Enterprises don't get, or maybe don't care about is that it's the real fans who already have access to them and are well aware of the shortcomings, who would purchase quality commercial releases by figures that would far out number those by casual fans.

mc7t, John Porcellino and JDeanB like this.
  25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Watching it again, the thing I noticed most is how much work George did on the material. And you don't really see that happening - one moment they are playing oldies, the next George is playing all sorts of tasty parts that suddenly provide the familiar textures for the rooftop tunes.

mr. steak, oboogie and blutiga like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.