On this day (May 15) in 1985, Amy Grant's "Unguarded" album was released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

@McLover considers this the most dated album of her career due to the heavy amount of DX7 use that is prominently heard.

2. BradOlson

I agree. They should have used all 4 of the covers on CD issues.

McLover likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really should try to get all four LP covers and frame them and display them together. That would look great.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

[​IMG]

Recordfan likes this.
  5. BradOlson

I did post these 4 covers in the opening post.

6. HGN2001

Yep. I was showing what the four would look like arranged in a larger square.

S. P. Honeybunch and BradOlson like this.
  7. BradOlson

Whereas the purpose of posting the covers in the format I did was to mention the W-O-R-D on the spines which is an important part of the opening post.

HGN2001 likes this.
  8. HGN2001

Of course. All good! :righton:

BradOlson likes this.
  9. BradOlson

Richard Page of Mr. Mister fame sang Background Vocals for Amy on “I Love You” & “Sharayah” from this album as well as a year later on “Stay For Awhile” from the Collection(1986). He also did background vocals for her 1983 “A Christmas Album” & "It’s Not A Song” (1984) from Straight Ahead.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Karnak and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  10. BradOlson

11. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I actually bought this album on cassette at a thrift shop in about 1987. The only song I was familiar with was ‘Wise Up’, which had been used in an advertisement for a Christian cause on TV here in Australia. I don’t actually remember much about the album now but I do remember then picking up an album on LP called Straight Ahead and I had that for a few years too. I was not raised with any religion and have never subscribed to any religion so am not sure why I bought them. I got rid of them somewhere along the way and when Amy released her big breakout album here (Hearts In Motion) I didn’t care for the ‘Baby, Baby’ lead single so never purchased the album. I have a weird history with Amy Grant! I will need to have a listen to more of her material on Spotify to try and figure out what it was that got me interested in the first place. I think it was her vocal on ‘Wise Up’...I remember it being strong with a husky tone that really appealed to me. In any event, I voted for ‘Wise Up’.

Edit: I just looked and I still have the Straight Ahead LP. I could have sworn I got rid of it decades ago. I think Unguarded was probably donated to a thrift shop when I got rid of all my cassettes in the mid 90s.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  12. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I think that the one in the bottom left was the cover of the cassette release here.

BradOlson likes this.
  13. BradOlson

Pick up Unguarded on LP or on a CD issued before the EMI remasters were released.

DesertHermit likes this.
  14. BradOlson

15. BradOlson

Christianbook.com has rumored at a vinyl reissue of Unguarded: Unguarded Album

16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Funny this thread popped up today. I just bought a copy of the A&M CD release (early Denon Japan pressing mastered with pre-emphasis).

17. BradOlson

Enjoy this album on a good CD player and enjoy.

18. BradOlson

19. BradOlson

I bumped it as it is rumored by christianbook.com that this album will be back in print on vinyl.

20. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

The lads knew a Mandy Grant from the arms in Buxton. She was allrught till she went on the lash after too many ciders and whiskey she done we reckoned. Could this be her sister then?

21. BradOlson

Nope. This Amy Grant is a well known Contemporary Christian/pop singer based in Nashville, Tennessee and her siblings have been revealed as Mimi, Kathy and Carol. You may end up remembering Baby Baby from Heart In Motion being a worldwide pop hit in 1991.

22. Duffy Shrimpton

The lads knew a Mimi grant from Dorset
    She ran with the Hawkwind lot
    The bird ended up looney as a frog in a sock from them mandrax we reckoned

23. BradOlson

No relation whatsoever Duffy. BTW, you ought to check out her music if interested.

24. Duffy Shrimpton

Might have ya do that, lad
    Does the bird sing like sandy denny then?
    That was the one bird the lads could agree on
    back in Torquay days...Fairport lot never recovered after yer lady abandoned the lads.
    Dabney drank with yer man Peggers at the arms in Shropshire he done...said yer man liked his whiskey AND your bloody dosh on the bar.
    I will bend the lads ears about this bird, Annie Grant ya been goin on about down at the pub , my son..,that lot needs a new bloody soundtrack ya get knackered to I reckon

25. BradOlson

To celebrate the 35th Anniversary of the iconic album "Unguarded", Amy's management have been busy this spring creating a project we are excited about:

Double disc white vinyl limited edition
    Full album + 4 live tracks + commentary from Amy talking about the original recording
    Release Date - 10/16/20

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.