Once auditioned for..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stonesfcr, May 1, 2021.

1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

That Record Collector piece is nothing new to me, I've bought the magazine every month for many years, including that issue.

By Spedding's own admission, he did NOT audition for the Stones. Someone (he doesn't say who) asked him about his availability, that's all. He wasn't available. He did not audition.

It's clear that you don't know the meaning of the word "audition", so I suggest you educate yourself a little better.

Furthermore, for future reference, click-bait titles for articles (THE MAN WHO TURNED DOWN THE STONES) aren't generally the most reliable sources of information.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Zeroninety likes this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

What do you/did you play?

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Clem Clempson also supposedly auditioned for the early version of Wishbone Ash.

Deep Purple also tried to get Rory Gallagher to audition after Blackmore left but he declined.

4. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Keyboards/guitar. The Heads were looking for a keyboard player.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Pete Tolson from Pretty Things auditioned for the Scorpions but decided against it and left the auditions.

Mick Abrahams auditioned for Humble Pie after Peter Frampton left but Clem Clempson got the job.

Rufus rag and footlooseman like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure if he actually auditioned or not but Leslie West almost joined Lynyrd Skynyrd as a replacement for Ed King until he demanded they be billed as Lynyrd Skynyrd featuring Leslie West.

Matthew Tate and Rufus rag like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Peter Frampton has stated numerous times that he never auditioned even though it was rumored that he was being considered.

groundharp likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I am not sure if these people actually auditioned but Uriah Heep supposedly tried to recruit David Coverdale and Ian Hunter after David Byron was let go.

9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Wow you got ME! :doh:

I am duly humbled!:biglaugh:

10. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident Thread Starter

To replace Izzy or Slash?, I don't think he has the chops to play Slash material

More than Eric Avery IMO Pepper Keenan would been a really interesting choice, he has Hetfield's respect as a songwriter, Avery would been crushed under the two Metallica masterminds egos

Beamish13 likes this.
  11. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Al Stewart auditioned as a guitarist for the Paramounts (later to become Procol Harum).

Rufus rag and sekaer like this.
  12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Navarro would have replaced Izzy at the time, I believe. When Slash left, Rose again reached out to Navarro

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

There you go:

Faith No More With Courtney Love Vocals (1984) Video Footage (fnmfollowers.com)

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Slash auditioned for Poison when their original guitarist moved back to Pennsylvania.

Rufus rag likes this.
  15. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Mike 'One Toke' Shipley for Jules Alexander's role in The Association, pre-Ramos...

sbsugar likes this.
  16. Dave SouthernMan

Dave SouthernMan Member

Think they jammed extensively but one of the cracks (Jokes made) was that Coverdale turned up with a bottle of Brandy and a German wife/gf. The crack being that they had just got rid of a Brandy swilling singer with a German wife.

Coverdale wanted Box and Hensley for Whitesnake.

The Ian Hunter story is quite lame I think if Mick Box's recollections are listened to.

17. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

Brian Johnson for Rainbow.

CDFanatic and fretter like this.
  18. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Elton John for King Crimson..

CDFanatic and JoeF. like this.
  19. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I think you are correct. Clarke was just on that list of possibles that Genesis drew up.

I think Elton John may have auditioned to replace Graham Nash in the Hollies.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He did piano sessions for the Hollies and was nearly a session vocalist for King Crimson. He didn't want to join KC (and Fripp didn't want him), not sure about the Hollies but that also seems unlikely.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Got another one for you: Bobby “Boris” Pickett. Apparently he was too old. The reason I know this is that somewhere (I forget where) I saw the initial audition notes that showed the judges reactions to Mike, on a tv show, and I was able to pause it and I saw Bobbys name.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Buckethead auditioned for both RHCP and Ozzy Osbourne.

Both camps liked his chops, but found the man himself to be a bit too... eccentric.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Mind blowing

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  24. laether

laether Forum Resident

Tico Torres (Bon Jovi drummer 1983-) auditioned for KISS in 1980 when Peter Criss was out.

https://www.metaltalk.net/20150844.php

fretter likes this.
  25. I know it’s a laugh-line around here, but hasn’t Paul Rodgers legitimately been talked about a number of times for other bands? — both decades before Queen — and after his stint with (+) Queen.

Am I imagining that he was considered — or rather, his name “came up” — for The Doors back in the early 70’s — but that he was literally not able to be contacted because he was out in the country for several months, some sort of hiatus or something.

But I swear I’ve heard reports of his name — again legitimately — having been “thought about” by 2 or 3 other bands here and there over the years. And I mean beyond the semi-laugh-line mention of him here on the SHF boards.

(Whether he ever actually ‘auditioned’ though, I realize, is an entirely different story.)

All Down The Line likes this.