Once edited for radio, but no more (or the reverse.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never understood why "hell" is considered a bad word by some people. Is it superstition? hell! How can you talk about hell if you can't even say the word?:laugh:

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

"baby-makin' music" is popular in the R&B field. Richard "Dimples" Fields coined it first, the Isleys came later. Barry is the god of the genre.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Grant

I know all about it, but I still reject the idea that the slang term "baby", as used in pop music, is a euphemism for sex.

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The program director at the college radio station at which I volunteer is well aware of this, thus DJs who play "edgier" material are scheduled for 10 pm shifts.

MikaelaArsenault and minerwerks like this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They used to play a radio edit of Thick as a Brick on AM radio with the line about 'sperm in the gutter' cut out.

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Baybeh , A overused euphemism.

MikaelaArsenault and Grant like this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not sure if you guys knew yet or not, but I just found the single mix (2:58) of "Rock And Roll Hoochie Coo" on CD this morning, on the 2016 CD called "HITLIST 2 : More Hot 100 Chartbusters Of the 70's" (ACE # CDCHD 1480)

Various Artists - Hit List 2 - More Hot 100 Chartbusters Of The 70s - Amazon.com Music

starfieldroad likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's not "c'mon a little closer"? I've never heard anything else there.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Even the wholesome Kingston Trio was censored in 1962 when their hit, "Greenback Dollar", had the "damn" in the chorus replaced with an overdubbed acoustic guitar strum.

"And I don't give a (strum) about a greenback dollar....".

A song that no less than John F. Kennedy was a fan of.

The group loved playing the "uncensored" version live in concert and joking about the state of AM radio back then.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Even in 1971, some stations censored "damn right" out of Theme From Shaft (along with "bad mother", even though he never completed that word!)

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Am I imagining it that stations got scared after Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" caused such a large fine? Of course, I think, given the current AG, stations should err on the side of prudery to avoid potential fines.

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It apparently leaves stains.

Galaga King likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I remember Tom Petty joking about MTV censoring "Let's roll another joint" off "You Don't Know How It Feels."

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think the real "Ms. Pinky" came out of some Scandinavian sex magazine, though she may have been Finnish.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think more people wrote songs about blow-up sex dolls than actually owned them.

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It used to be fashionable to cut a significant about of the guitar solo out of "Hotel California". That doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

True. But Pinky was even creepier. Just a mechanical head for oral stimulation. Like a Barbie styling head for perverts.

18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The BBC would happily play Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" back in the day, but the DJs would only announce it as "Healing".

19. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

of all the live versions this one practically has the vocal track isolated, skip to 28:34

20. Grant

After reading this thread, I listened carefully to the song, and it indeed sounds like he's singing "C'mon little ***** gonna do it to you!". How'd that get by the censors?

21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

So did the record label, as my 45 has only the music track where the album cut says "you're damn right" and is missing the word "mother."

bRETT likes this.
  22. Won't Get Fooled Again was edited down to 3:40 or so for radio.

23. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Non-college radio in L.A. died the day Indie 103 flipped to a Spanish-language station. At least KXLU has a few good shows

24. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

There is a single version of "Legs" that omits "s**t". "I want her.....I've got to have her...."

Odd how Buddy Knox got away with "Party Doll" in 1957 ("I'll make love to you..to you"), but Van Morrison couldn't "make love in the green grass" in 1967 (Brown Eyed Girl).

Drifter likes this.
  25. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Here's the obligatory Beatles mention in this thread.

Back in the (at the time) very conservative New Zealand, state radio wouldn't play The Ballad of John and Yoko, because of the line "Christ, you know it ain't easy".

An enterprising audio engineer took the song and overdubbed a couple of drum beats in place if the offending word: "(bang bang) you know it ain't easy".

The song was then played on the radio and reached #2 on the New Zealand charts in August 1969.

starfieldroad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.