Once edited for radio, but no more (or the reverse.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

That's because it's the only part of the song worth listening to. :D

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I have never heard that "Legs" edit.

As for "Party Doll", perhaps that had to do with the now-archaic meaning of "make love", meaning to "pitch woo"...?

3. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

But, of course, that was also a longstanding product of shortening for radio-the damn(ah-a censorable word THERE! :D) song's seven minutes long! Nothing else in the song is censorable,dammit.(HOw about Spanky and Our Gang's 1968 Give a Damn..Give what Beavers Make..)

4. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Yeah, and that's a major, extreme thing, apart from lyrical matter (also applies to "Miracles",which also has a "go down" line already discussed in this thread,
    and the 1977 Eagles Hotel Claifornia single), already a much discussed single. Won't get Fooled was over 8 and a half minutes.,.,

wayneklein likes this.
  5. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

It may have been said earlier, but part of the back-and-forth could be due to different program directors and/or music directors at a given station. The "new guy" decides they can be a little edgier by playing the uncensored version. In the case of "Jet Airliner," my guess would be that it's merely what's commonly available in the station's music library. The Greatest Hits CD uses the "funky kicks" version, and most likely any classic rock station loading Steve Miller into the automation system today has that disc laying around.

McLover likes this.
  6. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I had the album, which had the lyrics printed on the back cover as,

"Well come-on a little closer, gonna do it to you."

[​IMG]

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That edited 45 is what I call "The Who 'Death' By Numbers"! Notice the "From The Motion Picture Lifehouse" blurb on the single's label (Where is that movie playing?)

McLover likes this.
  8. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

I remember in the late 70s that KMOD was playing the edited version.

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I was born and raised in Tulsa, but didn't start listening to KMOD until the mid 80's (High School). My Junior High Principal would sell KMOD t-shirts in the morning during announcements. He would pronounce it KAY MOD, and we would all crack up. I also wore a t-shirt similar to your avatar back in the day. I spent a lot of time and money at Starship Records and Tapes.

10. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2007, here in England, there was an uproar when the BBC decided to censor the word F@##ot from The Pogues Ft. Kirsty MacColl song Fairytale Of New York. There was such a backlash that they were forced to play the proper uncensored version again. Even Kirsy's mum got involved. You can read about it here:

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Radio 1 backs down in Pogues row

Strangely, AFAIK they've always played the uncensored version of Walk On The Wild Side.

Also, in 1996 The Beautiful South released a single called Don't Marry Her. The album track contains the line 'Don't marry her, f@#k me', which was subsequently changed for the radio edit to the slightly safer line 'Don't marry her, have me'.

Another change occured when the line 'She'll grab your sweaty bo##ocks' was hilariously changed to 'She'll grab your Sandra Bullocks'. :laugh:

I wonder if any other Hollywood superstar's names have been used as a euphemism for parts of the male anatomy?

11. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Might be a custom radio edit (I heard it recently on our local "Classic Hits" station). First time I heard it myself.

One of the worst hack jobs I've heard is a highly edited version of The Bloodhound Gang's "Bad Touch". The song is full of innuendo and puns (but not much "profanity", as it were). Among the lines not fit for airplay (on an "Alternative station", mind you) "Put your hands down my pants, and I'll make you feel nuts." "pants" and "nuts" were silenced. Sheez.

I've heard the song pretty much uncensored everywhere else.

There was a similar situation with Dire Straits "Money For Nothing", as I recall.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I heard him make such obvious efforts not to say “I Want Your Sex” that I thought he never did. However, on the iHeart AT40 station yesterday they played a show where he both front- and back-announced the title of the song, so it happened at least twice on the July 4 1987 show.

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They'd go to great lengths to try and edit "Ballad of John and Yoko" back in the day (usually splicing one of Paul's drum beats in place of the word) - but these days, I doubt you'd ever hear that on the radio WITHOUT "Christ". I haven't.

14. Big Jack Brass

Big Jack Brass Two Separate Gorillas

[Slight thread necro]

In the UK I never heard any censoring of Electric Six's Gay Bar until I bought the Japanese CD in order to get a few bonus tracks. Perhaps understandably given Japanese history there's a change from this:

Let's start a war! Start a nuclear war!
    At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar

... to this:

Let's do an edit! Do a radio edit!
    At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar

... which is probably my favourite radio edit ever.

stetsonic and jbmcb like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Liner card for "The Bitch Is Back". WATO-1290 AM, Oak Ridge, TN.

Play it. But the title can't be announced. Announce it only as "The New Single From Elton John". Can not be played at the beginning or end of a stopset. Be CAREFUL!

16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The UK music video edits out those lines with sound effects. It's kind of funny as there's a lot of freaky stuff happening in that video involving multiple Abraham Lincolns, giant pepper mills and hamsters, which is apparently perfectly OK.

Big Jack Brass likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, Enterprise's 45 RPM edit censored these words, even on the commercial singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.