Once Upon A Time in America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve watched Sergio Leone’s film every 1-2 years since the late 80’s, and it seems to get even better with each watch.

Your thoughts?

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm thankful for the restoration. The brutal edits inflicted on the U.S. release made it incomprehensible.

Great performances by the cast and one of Morricone's finest scores.

A masterpiece all around.

3. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

A personal favorite gangster film, (& film overall), of mine, & my 2nd favorite Leone film after Good/Bad/Ugly. I set aside a day every year or two myself to watch it.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I saw it many times, I think first in the theatre, then on home video. At some point, I think there was a longer cut. Big fan of the movie, but don't know the chronology of the various releases. Now it has been fully restored?
    I liked the era when they were still young. Same thing in the Godfather when Deniro was playing a young Don Corleone. Something magical about those period piece parts.

jamesc, Gus Tomato, unclefred and 3 others like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Running time
    251 minutes (Extended Cut) The last two reissues 2014 and 2015 use this cut.
    229 minutes (European Cut)
    139 minutes (U.S. Release)

Once Upon a Time in America - Wikipedia

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The U.S. release did away with the flashback structure and recut the film in chronological order. A travesty, really.

SirCandy, unclefred, JohnG and 2 others like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

My wife and I love this movie and watch it yearly...

SirCandy and Bowie Fett like this.
  8. Bluesman Mark

Along with cutting 90 minutes out of it. They butchered it into incoherence.

I need to get the newly restored cut. I've only seen the 229 minute version.

yesstiles and jwoverho like this.
  9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

It’s a classic. The way the lower East Side is recreated is memorable. It evokes what it must have looked like for my great grandparents.

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Thanks. The first time I saw it in theatre it didn't make sense. Not sure if I've seen it as recently as 2014, however. Maybe the Euro cut was released on home video format in the U.S.? I feel pretty confident that I saw a longer version but am not sure which one it was.
    The producer/distributor's cut killed Leone's spirit as I understood it. Was it his last movie? I know there is a long history to this kind of thing- most famously with some of the work of Von Stroheim, who was infamous in his excesses. Sergio Leone made some great movies- I'm a fan of the Westerns too.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is a link to the blu-ray review of the extended director's cut: Once Upon a Time in America Blu-ray (Extended Director's Cut)

And the reviewer's comment on the restored material:

"The restored material is frequently washed out and lacking in fine detail. Colors are often weak (though not always), and contrast and black levels are often so poor that, especially in darker scenes, only the main action is visible. Digital tools have repaired any obvious damage, but even the most advanced processing cannot supply detail that wasn't there to begin with. A transfer from negative that resulted in such an image would be condemned and rightly so. Here, however, one is simply grateful that the scenes are viewable at all."

BTW, Leone preferred the 229-minute version, not the 251-minute one: » ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA – EXTENDED CUT (BLU-RAY)

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It is very remarkable in that respect and in the way it evokes emotion from simple scenes without artificial sentimentality.

13. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

The scene in the car with De Niro and McGovern is very disturbing for the time.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

:righton:

jwoverho likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

So this Movie has not yet been released on 4K? I cannot currently play 4K, but see that the last BluRay Release(251 Minutes Extended Cut) was in 2014, I am hoping for a potential 4K plus BluRay Release with expectations of better Video Quality that might also benefit the BluRay if included with the 4K.

Has anyone(@Vidiot) heard any news about a potential 4K + BluRay Upcoming Release for Once Upon a Time in America, as it will soon be 10 years since the last release on BluRay?

Is the EU Version(229 Minutes) Region Coded for only Europe, as that version was not reviewed on the highdefdigest website?

formu_la likes this.
  16. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the only cut I’ve allowed myself to watch. Aren’t they still in court, trying to release Leone’s “definitive” cut, or did I misread an article a few years ago?

Bluesman Mark, townsend and SirCandy like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Especially for the Chauffer.

Kyle William likes this.
  18. Kyle William

Kyle William Just a Hippie Gypsy

Indeed

unclefred likes this.
  19. ledzepfan63

ledzepfan63 Forum Resident

saw it at the movies when it came out in the 80s

20. Bluesman Mark

I 1st watched the 229 minute version on HBO years ago. I watched the 139 minute version exactly once the same month on HBO also, for comparison purposes. If I hadn't seen the 229 minute version 1st, I'd have never made any seensof the shortened version.

Knowing the the 229 minute version was "preferred" by Leone from the post made here, actually lessens my interest in the longer version.

unclefred likes this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I’ve always preferred watching the longest version of anything.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. Bluesman Mark

"Sense of..." obviously.

23. Bluesman Mark

For me it's the director's vision/preference first & foremost that I want, no matter the length.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

That’s what she said!

Come on, that deserves a Todd High Five:laugh:

Regginold31 likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Couple of horrendous rape or near rape scenes spoil it, I also found the ending unsatisfactory

Leroyd likes this.