Once Upon A Time In America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Timeless motion picture. Watch it anually. Always grabs me.

stunner2020 likes this.
  2. "Noodles, I slipped."

James Hayden (Patsy) was so handsome in this film. Sad that he died before it came out.
    I watched this about two nights ago. Good stuff.

3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I think it should be a problem. The rape shows a short circuit from a man that feels betrayed and does a completely horrible thing. It is unapologetic and without warning or any need to explain. It reminds me of Oliver Stone talking about showing racism. The best don't wag fingers and point signs to explain it. Just put it in and leave the audience to feel however they want to about it.

The end of the movie shows even more betrayal and I think people pick up on these things. Not justifying the completely objectionable thing he did, but I am explaining what I feel is very obvious in the film.

I think objection comes from how one should feel when seeing a horrific scene such as that. Leone doesn't play, and that is why I love his work.

agentalbert likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

A haunting epic featuring my favorite De Niro performance.

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It is a mob movie, but it centers around a small group of players. It really isn't a family affair like an olive oil business. Still, James Woods is still Don like, in the way he went from thug to a respectable position in society.

Not to downplay Deborah getting raped, but the baby swapping scene is disturbing as well. One can make an entire movie born from that scene.

And Max had to wind up with Deborah, for she would never tell his secret to anyone. The movie would have been far different if Noodles and Max swapped roles. But Noodles was far too mild mannered to be an elected official. It didn't seem to fit his nature. Regardless, it should have been him. He kind of got robbed, in more ways than one. Max got the power, the girl, and the money. Yet, he was still damaged. Maybe Noodles was the winner.

I first watched this film in a high school class.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Longer than the 250 minute "extended cut"?

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

YES

I read 269 was the true uncut version.

8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

So when Deborah says that "Mr. Bailey married a wealthy woman who didn't live through childbirth", she's lying? I don't think so, especially when the kid calls her "Deborah". Why wouldn't he call her mom?

Gus Tomato likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did not know that...how did he die? WOW...

10. Grunge Master

The first time I saw this was when it came out on DVD. I was expecting an epic along the lines of The Godfather, so I was a bit disappointed.
    Upon further viewings, I really like it. The soundtrack in particular is incredible; it adds another layer to the movie, IMO. Also, I always thought that there was a good chance that it was an opium dream; the movie has a strange feeling to it, though I don't know if it's just due to the fact that it's a bit uneven in parts. I just find it hard to believe that Max would kill off his childhood friends just to go into hiding. Or that he would jump into a garbage truck, for crying out loud.

11. Grunge Master

Heroin overdose

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

OK, thanks...what a waste.: (

13. Grunge Master

I wanted more of this guy, personally

[​IMG]

14. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I thought that since they both had such strong feelings for each other but could not be together , Noddles in his head felt destroying the relationship would be the way to go,so that there would never be that"what if" between them,she would hate him and he knew he could never go back.

Veggie Boy likes this.
  15. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The irony was a heroin overdose while playing a heroin abuser during the American Buffalo theater run with Al Pacino.

16. Michael

what's the chances of getting the 3rd complete version on BD?

17. Michael

I liked him as well, but I felt the movies was perfect as it was...: )

Grunge Master likes this.
  18. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

The novel is very good, too.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I've always wanted to see this, and now here it is on Netflix!

But should I wait to see the latest dvd that is 251 minutes instead?

20. David didn’t know the truth.

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

YES. I stand by the new scenes. The movie feels shorter with more explanation. Leone good for that.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The only answer I could come up with at the time was that he had all this harbored hate going back to the ice cream and when he sees she's some kind of big shot (in his eyes) he just can't stop destroying her. But it's a brutal scene, even worsethan Hitchcock's vision.

23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I kinda feel that Leone was trying to tell something other than just a Gangster story ……… with Max becoming some sort of corrupt politician/senator who possibly commits much worse things in later life [than his hoodlum youth] that he feels he has to kill himself for it.
    I only recently watched the extended [lower quality outtakes version] and can't recall if something is explained in the longer Max and Jimmy 'Clean Hands' scene in the mansion?

This is not a politics related post.

Bill likes this.
  24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Why would Deborah keep the truth about that from David? It makes sense that Max would marry a "wealthy woman", and have her bear his child. When the woman passed (either by birth complications or some intentional means on Max's part) he would have his son, her wealth, and her family influence to assist him in advancing his political career. After she was gone Max could then pursue Deborah in his long standing intent to deprive Noodle of everything he ever wanted or held dear.

Grunge Master likes this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Whilst I love the film I do find it a bit ludicrous that Max could get away with being a senator/politician for many years without one of the 1920's survivors [Noodles,Mo or the Weld character] recognising him in newspapers or TV.

greenscreened and ohnothimagen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.