Once Upon A Time In America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinny123, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Sorry but I have to disagree with this notion. I don't think Noodles harbored any hate towards anything.

It was more likely:
    To me this is the most plausible explanation and the one I will take away from that scene.

2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

What would the point of that be, though? There's no reason to hide the truth from David. It isn't like he doesn't need to know that Deborah isn't his mother.

3. Could he keep a secret? Probably not, and Deborah having a child out of wedlock would have been scandalous.

4. Grunge Master

I think that's sort of reading too much into it. I just take it for what it was on the surface.
    I could be wrong, true. Although, this really just feeds into what I believe, and that's that the parts of the movie in the future are an opium dream. There's a few things like this that are just sort of strange, and that to me says it's a dream.
    Anyway you cut it, it's still a damn fine movie.

5. I don’t buy into the opium dream theory. How would 1933 Noodles know they would have frisbees in the 1960s? :)

Gus Tomato, ohnothimagen and Michael like this.
  6. Grunge Master

Crap. I never thought of that!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes it is!

8. Michael

: ) Indeed...

9. Michael

yes, the more the better!

10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The Ennio Morricone score is so brilliant.

It's a hypnotic and incredible film. It is like a dream in a way. Or a nightmare.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't buy the "opium dream" theory, either, no more than I buy the theory that the "epilogue" of Taxi Driver is Travis' death fantasy after the bordello massacre.

Once Upon A Time In America...once was enough for me (the 229 minute version). It told a good story but -considering Gangster flicks are probably my favourite film genre- I found most of the characters so unlikable it was hard for me to give a damn about them. And, yeah, Noodles' penchant for rape was a big turn off for me as well.

Generally speaking, the epic scope of Once Upon A Time In America reminded me of another epic De Niro flick, Bertolucci's 1900. And once was enough when it came to 1900 as well...

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

1900 ..long film there was a part 1 and a part 2 in my local cinema. Burt Lancaster milking the cow.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I saw the full length five hour+ version on the big screen earlier this year. Now that was a long film. Once Upon a Time in America is much better!

Steve Litos and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. alexpop

Yeah prefer America myself. Especially the first half.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Donald Sutherland headbutting the cat and swinging the little kid around:wtf::yikes: Once Upon A Time In America had it's disturbing moments for sure but nothing compared to 1900!

16. alexpop

And De Niro and Depardieu, bed scene little boys club. European art house always a wee bit stronger.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's been years since I've seen Once Upon A Time In America. The 2 disc blu-ray (229 and 251 minute cuts) is only $6 on Amazon. Ordered!

18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I as well. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember loving it.

19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My favorite genre but I've given this multiple viewings and never warmed to it at all.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lol!!!!!! Whoops!!!!!

21. Michael

so will the 251 minute cut be the last one to turn up on BD?

22. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I just watched the director's cut. Those scenes were cut for a good reason. They don't add anything to the movie. Next time I watch this, it will be the theatrical cut.
    Like this movie very much.

23. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I vaguely remember watching the butchered version on cable in the eighties.
    During the baby-switching scene, the inconsequential(?) dialogue that was silent in most or all(?) of the other versions was left somewhat intact, which I thought was the only saving grace of that version.

I had already seen the version available on VHS and was watching the closing credits that night (as I always do) and saw that the it was based on the novel The Hoods.
    The next day I was in a local bookstore, and in walked some youth right out of a Webster's Dictionary picture of what a gang member would look like, and he asked the clerk "Do you have a book called The Hoods?", which I thought was rather amusing in the sense that the original source of the film was just refreshed in my mind the previous night.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I vaguely recall different cuts, and that in one restoration, the inserted film stock just didn't look good at all.

All that aside, and to someone like me who only has a DVD of this fabulous movie, is there an affordable blu-ray that is a significant upgrade that I should consider buying?

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

At Walmart online (I've seen it at my store in the value bins too)
    [​IMG]

townsend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.