Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I love the film but a lot of people agree with you if you go back many pages. Try one more time...the more you watch it the more you get out of it

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The long and short of it is, if you appreciate late nineteen sixties / music / lifestyle etc .. you’ll love it. There is no mobile phones featured.. Apple was a record label. :)

Jazzmonkie and Mazzy like this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That’s selling the movie short. There’s much more here than nostalgia.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  4. alexpop

Don’t see the films appeal for a young audience myself

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

That's probably good advice- it may be good that I bought it after all. As I said, there is a lot I really loved about it. Some of my favorite albums took several listens to really get into.

6. alexpop

Up for 10 nominations( Joker 11).

Carl80 likes this.
  7. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

The Wrecking Crew (1968) is on UK TV tomorrow at 12.35 to 7.10pm.

Sony Movie Classic
    Freeview 50
    Freesat 303
    Sky 319
    Virgin 424

It's a SD channel (probably with a terrible bitrate).

Ghostworld and SunSon like this.
  8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'll say that this QT film has the best soundtrack by far for any of his films. Couldn't use the cheesy 70s pop stuff.
    Loved it, in the QT top 3 for me.

Carl80 and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I just bought a copy of Paul Revere and the Raiders Spirit of '67 (mono of course) because of this movie.

cwitt1980, Ghostworld and Larry L like this.
  10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

What happened to me... rented it on Amazon Prime. Thought it was just okay.
    But soon after, couldn't get it out of my head. So I rented it again.
    Decided I need to watch this repeatedly, can't live without it etc. Purchased the movie.
    Seen it about 10 times now. I wanna be Cliff Booth.

Exit Flagger, Jrr, ad180 and 3 others like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Okay. Another song nobody noticed on the soundtrack. When Cliff is leaving the house on the ranch you hear about 5 seconds of Love is a Beautiful Thing by The Young Rascals.

You know how Mama Cass and Michelle Phillips are at the party at the Playboy Mansion (a tribute to the pool party scene from Spinout?) and there's three Mamas and Papas related songs on the soundtrack? Well there's more. Papa John's next wife Genevieve Waite was in the film Joanna and you see a poster for that film as Sharon Tate goes to collect the book from the store.

[​IMG]

Simon A and notesfrom like this.
  12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If and when the 4 hour version appears I'll dedicate a day to studying some scenes with the freeze frame button. Culture in every frame. As mentioned in one of the Blu Ray extras, every Sunset Blvd store front was arranged with extreme detail, even through the traveling shots only revealed a background glimpse.

RandelPink likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just thought I'd chime in , as one of the last to see this for the first time. Only watched on my phone on a plane, but I liked it a lot. A very good, very watchable flick. Not great, and certainly not the best QT IMO, but good for the time spent. Will probably watch again on the big TV this weekend to get a different take, and might even consider seeing in a theater if given the chance. Loved Pitt and DiCaprio, thought they made a very good team. Enjoyed Pacino more then I did in "The Irishman", and enjoyed seeing Tim Olyphant and Kurt Russell in their roles. Laughed in many places, including the ending.

All in all, I would recommend to those who haven't seen it yet, even if you don't like Tarantino. It's an entertaining look at a place in time, particularly if you're of the age that I am(62) and remember that time with a certain fondness.

vegafleet, rmath84 and brownie61 like this.
  14. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

now there's a movie about a whole lot of nothing

Jrr likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Minor league Marty, IMO.

SunSon likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Here's A Little Less Conversation from Love a Little Live a Little. The scene (sort of) takes place in the Playboy mansion. You can imagine Steve McQueen narrating the scene as in OUATIH

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Finally saw this on pay-per-view. The attention to detail was amazing and presumably expensive. (My lone quibble was that the TV show depicted would have been far less cable-esque in that era.) The leads were perfect. The ranch scene was terrifically tense.

But I just have a Tarantino problem, in that the set-up deserved a better denouement than Tarantino's usual and-then-a-bus-hit-everyone revenge fantasy. But I think that about almost all his films and more or less expected it going in.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

R
    You reminded me I was happy with that scene. Tarantino wanted to create back story to make the finale believable, but I also liked how it addressed a frequent strain random discussion board insanity, namely threads like, "Who would win a fight between Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali (or Mike Tyson)?"

I always want to yell at the screen, "Unless you think every combat sport in history has weight classes FOR NO REASON, the heavyweight athlete would destroy Lee."

Lee reportedly said so himself, referencing Ali's size. But for some reason, decades later there's still this pervasive belief that Lee could somehow make up the 70-100 pound difference between him and Ali or Tyson.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Ghostworld and rmath84 like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m sitting at Panera Bread being subjected to easy listening and a John Mayer song and realized he could do great cover of “Never Learn Not to Love.” Mayer does Manson.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Look at these hands. I got small hands. You know what that means? I’ll never get to fight the best: Joe Lewis.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's similar to what De Niro said in Raging Bull...

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'll just leave this here...

(don't forget to watch it in 4K)

Shawn, SunSon and apesfan like this.
  24. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Apologies for answering so late in the thread to a first page response but I’ve just started reading the thread. You actually do see the flamethrower in the storage closet when Brad Pitt enters it to grab tools to fix the antenna early in the movie. Didn’t notice until my second watch though.

25. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Because part of the point of the movie was rewriting Sharon Tate’s legacy and memory as not one of Manson’s murders and giving her a fairytale ending. Hard to use that theme and not invoke the Manson family in the plot.