Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I think Out Of Sight was the best movie from an Elmore Leonard book

Simon A, Ghostworld and Lightworker like this.
  2. You missed out on one of the top three films of 2019. But we all have different tastes.

Troyh and Jrr like this.
  3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Peter Fonda got all the best lines...(see what I did there?)

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Justified was definitely the best adaptation of an Elmore Leonard short story.

ex_mixer and SunSon like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, he brought just the right jaded hollywood vibe to the affair.

Mechanical Man and Lightworker like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

great soundtrack. Clooney and Jennifer Lopez were in top form. AND a great poster.

7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Anyone ever read The Switch by Elmore Leonard? Would love to see what QT would do with that one.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I buy soundtracks and then end up not listening to them, so I’m careful now. But I have Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown (that one is fantastic, probably because I prefer those songs) and they add some soundbites from the films, so I finally broke down and got the soundtrack for OUATIH on vinyl before it goes out of print and like the others, they did add parts from the film. A neat package on vinyl, but to be true to the film they used some of the low fi (intentionally of course) songs so that it sounds like it’s coming from an AM radio. I don’t know. I guess it works, and indeed it’s true to the soundtrack, but I know most of us buy vinyl to get the best possible sound. Kind of ironic that we get the opposite. Some of the songs are full quality. I guess it’s fine if you just remember it’s suppose to be a soundtrack; this one takes that quite literally! I do recommend it to fans of the film.

Mylene and Ghostworld like this.
  10. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

use the link in the post I made

Jrr likes this.
  11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I saw something today that I never noticed before. When Cliff gets out of the Caddy at the Span Ranch he is jangling the key chain, Rick's keychain. When he brings his hands up to his face to remove his sunglasses a medallion with the Olde English D on it rests on a leather base.
    Why would a good ole boy from Missouri have a Detroit Tiger logo in 1969 when the Tigers beat his home state Cardinals in the '68 World Series.
    No no no the D did not stand for Dalton, they only wanted you to believe that.
    Well that's it, the whole suspension of disbelief right out the F-ing window.
    Fun while it lasted :angel:

12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Nice write up. I'm definitely watching this again. I'll probably buy it so I can watch it repeatedly.

Jrr likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ordered, thank you! If anyone else wants one they are cutting off orders shortly.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Period authenticity?
    A oops moment.
    Hate when that happens.

The Norseman ( 1978) had a cruise liner ( in the distance)during a Norsemen- Red Indians beach battle scene.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, hanging out here has taught me a good lesson. Years ago someone would make some comment about an artist and if I didn’t agree my mind would make a judgement about their taste. Not cool, but it was what it was. I’ve learned after hanging out here a long time that movies and music are simply taken in differently by each person. I don’t even think we can help it! It moves you or it doesn’t. You can try and listen to an artist over and over (Dylan is a top one for me...I completely don’t get it but I keep tryin’) but at the end of the day something moves you or it doesn’t. Clearly movies are the same. I do think watching a film again can really move the needle, and I do have a rule with music where I give it three spins before I make a final judgement. By the third time I’ve gone from not liking an album to really enjoying it. This film is really strong in that area, as posts here have show. A lot of people just don’t like it, but many have enjoyed it more by a second or third viewing. And I know a few people who would never enjoy Quentin’s films. As you said, we all have different tastes and thank goodness for that. I have learned a lot around here from people that had a totally different opinion about certain things. It challenges you to go back and revisit said film or artist.

Mazzy likes this.
  16. This is one album where vinyl is the worst option for listening. It breaks that simulation of listening to the radio in summer of '69 LA when you have to get up every 18 minutes to flip sides.

Mylene likes this.
  17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I have the Kill Bill Vol 1 soundtrack on CD, my intro to Charlie Feathers.
    OUATIH's soundtrack would be good on CD for the car

Jrr and Mylene like this.
  18. clhboa, SunSon and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I liked this quote:

clhboa, Lightworker, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

This sums up the central theme of the movie, IMO. In Hollywood always the good guy wins and the heavy loses the fight. Tate and Sebring were humanized with the intent of elevating them to "good guy" status.

The "family" destroyed the innocence of the town in 1969. Tarantino restored a bit of it in true Hollywood fashion.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The rare film that deepens upon repeated views. I wonder if an alleged four hour long version would diminish its impact, or enhance it.

None of those characters were really wonderful human beings; but except for CM and his gang, they all had redemptive motivations, some basic decency, and were trying in various ways to get better

22. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

In both the books of Jackie Brown (Rum Punch book title) and Out Of Sight FBI agent Ray Nicolette is in the story.
    In both movies Nicolette is played by Michael Keaton.
    and there's your useless info of the day (you're welcome:D )

23. Melvin M Melvin

Melvin M Melvin Well-Known Member

Folks, I recently bought a DVD of 'Hollywood' on the hoof (in the UK). It says the film's running time is 2 hrs 35 mins. Am I missing some? Ta - MmM

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

DVD's(and VHS) in Europe runs 4% faster because of the PAL tv system.
    Blu-ray runs at correct speed.

25. Melvin M Melvin

Melvin M Melvin Well-Known Member

Thanks, budwhite, but would that account for all of the difference? I seem to recall that the cinema version was nearly three hours.

Wasn't there a scene with the guy who was working at the back of the Tate residence? Or am I imagining it?

Thanks - DR