Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I agree with Ebert. Which category are you putting this movie into?
    I never said it was a bad movie. I liked the movie. I just think it was too long and overhyped. Thus pretentious.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

You and me both, we are bingeing '70s movies here in lockdown and loving it.

Denim Chicken, Ron P. and ad180 like this.
  3. Then you don't agree with Ebert.

I loved this movie. I've seen most, not all of QT's films, and I liked this one the best.

Mechanical Man and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

yep PaulRevere, Monkees and I always thought back in the 60's the Beach Boys were some sort of manufactured group to.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Manufactured? I must be the only one who has been to Kuna, Idaho. :sigh:

Just keep hating, don't read, listen or learn.

6. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

how did you get hate out of my post, I implied nothing of the sort
    btw I listen, I listened to them all in real time

Ron P. likes this.
  7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

8. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Once you learn she is Andie MacDowell"s daughter you can't stop seeing it in her. She's so much like her.

joeconn4 likes this.
  9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

her body movement at the bus stop was amazing. she was impressive in her little role.

willy, Veggie Boy, notesfrom and 3 others like this.
  10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In defense of the Raiders, that's Paul Revere's Raiders and probably at some cheesy 1980's show. The Raiders most of us know and love were the Mark Lindsay/Terry Melcher Raiders that actually did make some great music. The singer in that video isn't even Mark. It's a bit silly to be turned off by any 60's artist and how they handled themselves in the 1980's. Pretty much all of them look bad.

11. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Finally got a chance to watch this movie over the weekend, very much enjoyed it. Haven't read much about it other than the early reviews. I thought the acting was across the board excellent. Liked the production and direction. I've read a lot about the Manson craziness, and I thought this was a cool twist and an interesting way to fictionalize those events.

I don't watch many movies more than once, unless I catch them on cable, but I'll probably watch this one again.

Denim Chicken and beccabear67 like this.
  12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly. i kinda quit following them by 1967. 1969 let me was a hit i liked
    1971 cherokee nation but their time had passed by 1967 or 1968 I was not watching their commercials later.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  13. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

it's kind of weird how invested paul revere and the raiders were in those revolutionary war outfits. the beatles had their leather phase, their collarless jacket phase, several other phases, they always moved on quickly. there are some early publicity shots of the kinks in hunting gear, which they quickly discarded. but the raiders just couldn't set aside those stupid outfits.

Ron P. likes this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I don't see a whole lot of anything contributive to say about the movie from some here except it too long for them, bad... or that Monkees and Raiders not real, not good, ugh. Now it's pin-up pictures of rather young ladies... whatever, as they used to say. I thought this forum was higher class with more informed posters. I'm over-reacting, but some people post just to take up space. Which is fine if it's not one note dismissal of what people were talking about genuinely enjoying. I don't get it and will never get it, unlike the DVD of this film which I am pretty sure I will get, and a small part of that was the loving use of some great Raiders tunes.

I guess I'm glad they didn't throw an Archies tune in, then I'd have to be really not cool to some for liking that.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

She was so charismatic with Brad. Great casting for sure.

joeconn4 and Ron P. like this.
  16. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Ok. watched some of it again last night. When Pitt drives Qualley to the Spahn Movie Ranch, then decides to investigate, he insist on going to the house. He encounters none other than Dakota Fanning at the door, who oversees the blind George Spahn, -Bruce Dern. Not only is this scene long and slow but a waste of some great talent. I suspect they wanted to be included, at any capacity, in QT's film. Anyhow, George Spahn, in real life, took on the Manson bunch in order to help out at the ranch, and they did do this. I think that QT wanted to tell the story of how they manipulated him,..took over the ranch, bossed him around and such. This may be true but that's another movie, yes?. After his intimate scene with Dern, Pitt comes out and the movie switches back to the usual QT over the top violence when Pitt finds the knife in his tire. Besides the emotional whiplash, I feel this scene/story disrupted the flow of the movie. One of the 'screeching halt" moments for me. And, yes, I'm being critical. I'm saying I liked the movie but felt QT was trying to tell too many stories in one film.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

While we're on the subject of '60s bands featured in the movie...

No idea why this song would pop into my head now. It's a mystery.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Saw her last night in a movie called Donnybrook. Never heard of the movie. I just came across it jumping around the channels I get. Only caught the second half or so but,.. serious acting for the 24 year old. Definitely showing depth as an actor. Good for her.

19. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I liked the extended scene - for me it really sustained my curiousity and created a lot of tension. Yes, it could have been tightened up quite a bit, but I still like it. I think it will have absolutely no re-watch value (this scene, I mean)

I suppose as far as it's purpose to the overall story, it's possibly to show Tex's leadership and status so that later on it's not confusing as to who he is or why he's the one calling the shots at the finale.

seacliffe301, ad180 and Ron P. like this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

side note: I found the presence of Lena Dunham at the ranch distracting and, frankly, a stupid choice.

Ron P. likes this.
  21. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Totally!

22. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

The scene is a full twenty minutes long. Tightened up for sure.

Do love the "California Dreamin", at the end of the scene. Not sure it was the right place for it but,...also would've used John Philips original. Not that Jose's is bad but,...

a customer likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't even recognize her! :shrug:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Count yourself lucky.

Ron P. likes this.
  25. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Thanks for that Tim S. . Made me laugh!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020