Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Surprised a couple of folks have said this. The character is essential to directly point out where Dalton is at the moment. In a sliding career. It needed to be the established Hollywood Agent to tell him this and how he possibly can get out of the rut he was in.

The part is integral to launch the Dalton and Cliff story. It didn’t need to me more than it was.

A small part yes but a so called big Hollywood Agent needed to be a big personality like Pacino.

2. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I agree. That scene kick-started the movie.
    I liked the way when Shwarz was selling Rick the way he looked at him through those big frames and smiled so innocently.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Are they? Sorry! Damn I want the soft sole version like Cliff! Lol

EddieMann and Juan Matus like this.
  4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Agreed might take a bit more effort to get the right size

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Yeah, I think that would have been the end of the line for the happy Manson family

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was just thinking Maybe get the soled version and just let em wear out! I’m sure that’s what a guy like cliff would do. YeAh size. I’m size 12, but I’m sure these Are all stretch. But I really need is Cliffs six-pack.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Juan Matus likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As noted, Cliff would tell the police the three people they killed were from a commune at Spahn Ranch, and the police would likely be out there to investigate before dawn, rousting the other family members out of bed. Kasabian could implicate Charlie and he'd be arrested on the spot. They'd eventually find evidence to tie him to the murders he'd already committed and he'd be tried for those.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think Pacino watched his part in Glengary Glen Ross where he is trying to hook the Jonathan Price character, and he just did that character again. With, imo, kind of a phony (maybe camp looking on purpose?) looking get up if I may say so, considering how excellent everything else looked. His part was very effectively played in the previous film, but in this one if felt like a “phone it in”, and unnecessary, part. I read the excellent editor interview Vidiot kindly posted and a lot was made about cutting down screen time. There was a ton of Pacino footage. That scene was already borderline too long for me; I think it was simply a matter of how can you completely cut out Al Pacino! And good luck getting him again if you did. So, probably necessary but I agree with you guys that think it could have easily been cut.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, and I’m seeing a lot of complaints about the narration. I paid more attention to it the second time and it still didn’t bother me in the least. I guess one could say narration is kind of a cheat, but this film is already long and I think it played just fine.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If they're being true to life she couldn't take off because she had a daughter back at the ranch. But the police would certainly arrive there within at most a couple hours of her return, so there wouldn't be much time for "disciplining."

willwin, mmars982 and GodShifter like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You mean like the rest of the film? :D

Ghostworld and GodShifter like this.
  12. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

And he did a voice-over in IB during the reel change scene explaining its flamability.

Jrr and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I think one thing people are over looking with the Shwarz scene is Rick.
    Rick is the one who was going through the range of emotions like,... uh? hmm? well yeah? I dunno. This needed to be shown.
    Leo was great. This is the 4th Leo movie I have seen and 2 have been by QT. The other 2 are Gangs Of New York and Catch Me If You Can.
    GONY was a very good movie Daniel Day-Lewis was great and this kid Leo is okay for what he does I thought.
    CMIYC seems to get lost in the shuffle and I really liked Leo in it, a very good fast paced movie with a great story.
    But Rick Dalton the good ole boy from Missouri with stars in his eyes that turned to tears makes me hope he gets nominated for the Academy Awards.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Exactly!

Jrr and Ghostworld like this.
  15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

He's superb in WOLF OF WALL STREET, too.

Plus you get the bonus of seeing a lot of Margot Robbie.

All of her. :winkgrin:

Jrr, SunSon and willwin like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And he also does a Scorsese narration/cut away to Ricks drunken car crash outside the Frolic Room. “That’s a lie. Rick crashed his car drunk so many times, that now Cliff drives him everywhere. “. It’s a bit jarring there as well.

thgord and willwin like this.
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I agree it's an essential scene - and it was originally 28 minutes long. The rest of the movie sets sail on due course due to that scene. It goes over the past, defines the present, and alludes to the possibilities of the future.

How does the movie start otherwise?

18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I recommend seeing The Departed

19. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

I suppose the narration was necessary if there had been a lot of cuts in the second half of the film. It didn't bother me much, I just thought it was one of those QT things: just when everything seems normal and you're beginning to get comfortable, he throws something strange at you in order to wake you up.

20. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

You can never see too much Margot Robbie :)

blind_melon1 likes this.
  21. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

When Rick teared up, I teared up; that's great acting

Jrr, Vidiot, Ghostworld and 2 others like this.
  22. Jews in Hollywood in 1969 looked exactly like that. Especially on the Agent manager studio business side.

:tiphat:

Jrr, willwin and Scopitone like this.
  23. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I'd also add Shutter Island (Scorsese) and Revolutionary Road re-paired with Kate W.

SunSon and Scopitone like this.
  24. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

As a matter of fact I did had plans on dialing that movie up since In Hollywood came out and remembered that they were together before.

Scopitone likes this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I don't keep up on movies very well but this with Leo, Nicholson and directed by Scorsese will be on my screen soon.
    Thanks.

Denim Chicken and Scopitone like this.