Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I haven't read through all the comments, but I'd like to mention a quite lovely, understated observation of Sharon Tate's character in the film. Tarantino's foot thing aside, lol, the scene in the cinema when Sharon had her boots off and feet up on the back of the seat said so much about who she was. A free spirit - part of the zeitgeist of the era every bit as much as 'Pussycat', similarly reposed with her feet up on Cliff's dashboard. What's immediately disturbing about Pussycat is the way she screams "pigs!" aggressively at people she doesn't know. A labelling/dehumanising attitude that foreshadowed the (real-life) murders. The word "pigs", written in blood on Sharon Tate's door after the murders, was in wide circulation at the time if I'm not mistaken. At the same time, Bernadette Dohrn and Bill Ayers of the Weathermen were exhorting their followers to "kill pigs". A fringe element of the counterculture for sure, but one that makes the Manson murders a symptom, rather than an aberration of the times. Superficial and trashy this movie this movie is not (for me anyway)

mozz, mrbobdobalina, willwin and 4 others like this.
  2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

That scene motivated me to start doing sit-ups every day. I’m up to 20 every morning!

willwin likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Don’t forget your steroid injections.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, he wasn’t.

This idea seems far fetched (and you mean Rick unless you mean he’s working for himself).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

An observant friend mentioned the Spahn Ranch scenes reminded him of Hitchcock’s “The Birds”, with the ever-increasing Mansonites appearing.

Yeah, I can see it.

Chip TRG and willwin like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Netflix 4 hr version coming soon. Tim Roth playing a English butler scenes included.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. alexpop

Leonardo DiCaprio looks fat in comparison.

willwin likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He is a bit chubby.

9. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

The Mason family "killed" in Vegas on a regular basis

Chip TRG likes this.
  10. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Cliff could take anybody except maybe Godzilla...I don't know how Cliff vs Godzilla would turn out, maybe it's in the uncut version

11. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

True Romance

[​IMG]

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

All Netflix or just US ?

alexpop likes this.
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Wonder how soon. Unlikely they release the 4-hour version before 2019 is out, or before the Oscars in February. Next spring or summer at the earliest, I'd guess.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    GodShifter and Carl80 like this.
  14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

This is my favorite Dalton poster of the bunch, and it gets seen momentarily in the house during the battle scene when the fighting spills into one of the adjacent rooms.

willwin likes this.
  15. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Two differing opinions from the UK. One declaring it a late career masterpiece...

willwin likes this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

And the other view is that it is part brilliant, part awful, the awful being the “unforgivable” Bruce Lee scene.

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

18. alexpop

Just Netflix. America no doubt first.

Tim Roth playing playing Schwarz English butler. :)

CusBlues and Carl80 like this.
  19. alexpop

CusBlues likes this.
  20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That’s the English press for you. Wouldn’t take much notice of what they say.

rodrigosanche55 and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

On the cards. Think imminent.

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I read the Blu Ray/dvd/ 4K is out in October so I agree, it will most probably be next year.

Jrr and notesfrom like this.
  23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Another thumps up here on the soundtrack CD. It arrived about 10 days ago and I wasn't really motivated to listen to it until yesterday. Wow, the power of music. It immediately brought back images of the film more so than any soundtrack I've listened to. As it plays you envision each progressing scene from the movie. It's like a 74 minute 1969 radio broadcast. Some points:

Worth the price of admission: Jose Feliciano's "California Dreamin".

Some songs are lo-fi AM radio quality for atmosphere. This soundtrack definitely continues the OUATIH vibe.

Bummer: It doesn't include Twelve Thirty, and to a lesser degree Straight Shooter from the trailer. I almost didn't buy this because of the omission but I would have missed out on a otherwise great soundtrack.

I would like to see OUATIH get the Super Deluxe treatment, maybe a limited addition. With the theatrical version, the four hour version, a complete soundtrack, and a book loaded with photos, and maybe a poster. I would be a buyer.

24. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

And the moral of the movie is: never come between a man and his dog :)

Chip TRG likes this.
  25. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

It's HIGH NOON

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joshua Tree, Dan C, TheVU and 2 others like this.