Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I wasn't going to post anything about my forth viewing, with my wife (her second), but I would be remiss not to mention the theater was sold out except for 3 seats on the front row (2:30 pm show on Saturday). We had to sit on the front row; thank goodness for fully reclining seats. It was like IMAX without the charge (and the sound).

The only thing new I noticed this time was the yellow dog food can had "rat flavor" down on the right lower corner (hard to miss when the can is five feet tall).

There was plenty of laughter all through the film so I have a feeling there were many second time viewers.

When the movie was over my wife turned to me and said she can't for the bluray to come out. Actually I have no shame in saying this might be my favorite movie … there's something about it that hits home for me.

mozz, Ghostworld, Lightworker and 4 others like this.
  2. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Well, he almost was at Tate's house the fateful night.

3. I think the point was to emphasize that it was a 'Hollywood' party, with A-list actors in attendance. It helped establish that Sharon Tate was a part of this elite circle.

905, Carl80, willwin and 5 others like this.
  4. Melvin M Melvin

Melvin M Melvin Well-Known Member

I said 'any more relevant' :) . I agree with your comment about Lee. Agree that the Mamas & Papas were semi-relevant, but probably John rather than Michelle. I feel (but admittedly can't be sure) that she and McQueen were included because they're QT 'causes celebres'

Actually, I associate Melcher with the Byrds as much as the Beach Boys, whom I liked up to (but excluding) Pet Sounds. You are right that, in looking forward to the film all year, I was hoping Melcher and Wilson would be in it; and I agree that their time had passed ('Terry doesn't live here any more') by the time the action of OUaTiH took place. Thanks for conversing - Dave

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Been thinking about the film a lot since I saw it a week ago. Enjoyed it very much. First half was very good but not great, second half was fantastic. Very suspensfull. I had an idea that Tarantino was going to make the ending a bit like Inglorious Basterds but I was in no way sure.
    When the car with the murders drove up Cielo Dr I was on the edge of my seat. That was so well executed by Tarantino.

Didn't like Hateful 8 much. Infact, it's the only Tarantino movie I've only seen once.
    So I'm happy that he really stepped up with this one.
    Now, please make your last movie a sci-fi or a western

mozz and Ghostworld like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

His last film will be a oddball title. Don’t think he has stamina or inclination to tackle a another Kill Bill, the pressure to pull it off would be to immense.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Why? What's wrong with his stamina?

8. I'm sure he has enough stamina to find another Japanese film to find inspiration from like he did with Kill Bill.

9. Melvin M Melvin

Know these guys but had to Google the links to Manson. Agree 'cool', disagree 'pointless' if they're only cameos (given the number of icons people think they saw in incidental roles, on here :) )

10. Melvin M Melvin

Accepted, GS, after further reading :)

I mean that, in addition to reading the lines, he was 'adjusting' his facial features to replicate what I recognised as McQueen's expression. This is a compliment, not destructive criticism. I still believe it.

I agree that they were based there at that precise time, but in David J. Krajicek's 'Charles Manson the Man Behind the Murders that Shook Hollywood' (admittedly not The Bible - irony intended): 'For the first nine months of 1969, the Family pinballed between several locations...' (etc. Charles Manson )

Thanks for your thorough answer, GS. I enjoy your posts - Dave.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Melvin M Melvin

Thanks for making my point better than I did :D . Agree with all of this - Dave

czeskleba likes this.
  12. Melvin M Melvin

Agree with this (admittedly from a UK viewpoint) :)

13. Melvin M Melvin

In one review, MK twice refers to Tarantino as 'irresponsible'. I can't make out whether he means that QT is wrong to toy with what was a horrible episode in Hollywood history, or wrong to play fast and loose with the rules of film-making, or both... (don't agree with either, BTW)

mozz likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good move.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Once the Manson family kicks in after the Spahn Ranch scene, I don't see how anyone can have complaints with the movie not being entertaining. "Suspenseful" is the right word. That rumbling, smoking car had my hair on edge. I've only seen it nine times. But if it comes to the $3 theater, I'll see it again. I miss that movie. Reminds me of the days in the frat when we'd watch movies over and over again on HBO. Like watching "Halloween" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" or "Animal House" twenty times on the tube until you knew every line. LOl.

I'm writing the script for a little western I'm going to shoot using some kids from work. I mean, if you live in California, "western" is everywhere you look. Lol. I live near Fillmore, Calif., home to vintage trains where they shoot a lot of movies, so I"m going to guerilla a scene at the depot. I gotta find a "saloon." I see a western "comeback" if Tarantino takes his western ideas any further.

budwhite and alexpop like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I started watching the dirty harry's again. Man, those are some r#cist stereotyping movies. Not in the best of taste today. Still fun, but the undercurrent...

Lightworker and alexpop like this.
  17. Melvin M Melvin

Apart from the obvious reasons, this may have been because OUaTiH got 10-star reviews and featured Leo, Brad and Al. As stated earlier, viewers in the cinema when I watched it all looked 'my age' or older, but failed to make it to the QT voiceover...

18. Melvin M Melvin

This has been said several times and, while it 'holds water' for 'Hollywood', I'm not sure this holds true for 'Once Upon a Time in the West', 'America', 'Mexico' and all those clones. Yes, they're all clearly fictitious, but Leone, whose original title for 'West' was in Italian, would simply have been looking for a title for a (granted, make-believe) story that once took place, etc. - Dave

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood ( could have been actor) Burt Reynolds was offered the part as James Bond but turned it down.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My pleasure! I enjoy your posts as well. Thanks for explaining the 'pulling face' thing. I wasn't aware that was a thing.

Take care, Mr. Melvin.

21. Melvin M Melvin

Thanks, GS. The 'face thing' might just be me :D .

22. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

This is the coolest movie ever :)

[​IMG]

905, Carl80, brownie61 and 5 others like this.
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

CusBlues, Chip TRG and willwin like this.
  24. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

and the coolest song :)

CusBlues likes this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer