Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

McQueen was one of only a very few people who might legitimately said to have been invited over that night. He was spending a lot of time with Jay Sebring as they were fast cocaine buddies. Steve's wife, Neile, mentioned it in her book years ago.

Not only were they still living there, but there are a number of people in and around law enforcement who say the family was under the surveillance of Los Angeles Sheriff's Office.

Lightworker and GodShifter like this.
  2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Great song, but the wrong version.....*THIS* is the version that was in the film:

willwin likes this.
  3. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

The lovely Francesca

4. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

"This version was, in fact, the backing track from Chris Farlowe's version, but with a Mick Jagger lead vocal, recorded in London in April 1966 as a demo for Farlowe. "

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Since I don't have FLOWERS available at the exact moment, what version was on there?

Am k correct to say that the OUATIH version is the one released in '75?

willwin likes this.
  6. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

The version in the film is from the Metamorphosis album

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note they did the exact same "cool celebrity walk" as Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski, same LAX corridor, earlier in the movie.

8. And it’s on Metamorphosis

Carl80 likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My new “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” watch. $3 at Goodwill. I don’t have the six pack to wear brad Pitts “Champion” t-shirt.

[​IMG]

VU Master, Carl80, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Will QT / Once ...get the Oscar for best film?

11. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Unfortunately, there’s no chance.

Lightworker, Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What ! Film release date a problem ..or subject matter?

Lightworker likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

He should have used the Chris Farlow version. That was the one that was played on the radio at the time.

Lightworker likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

:bigeek:

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Who did the "cool slow motion" group walk first? Wild Bunch? Reservoir Dogs? The Right Stuff?

16. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

Oh without a doubt because of the release date, innit.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good question. I wonder which movie was the first to have the hero turn around and walk away while a massive explosion happened behind them, and they don't even flinch. Good god, that's been done a hundred times in the past 20-25 years...

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Melvin M Melvin

Melvin M Melvin Well-Known Member

I’ve finally read the entire thread :D . My final splurge:

- I neither love nor hate the kind of exaggerated violence that QT takes to its limit. First time I saw anything like this was in the original ‘Total Recall’ (I was admittedly late to that party). At the time, a ‘starlet’ interviewed on UK TV referred to this as ‘kinda funny violence’ – the ultimate oxymoron.

I understand that QT wanted Leo for the Waltz part in Inglorious: really rate DiCaprio but I'm glad that this didn't happen, as Waltz was absolutely fantastic in IB (as well as great in DU).

Yep :)

EVERYTHING online gets that variance in feedback :D

Though I wouldn’t have said it at the time, I don’t think anyone quite had McQueen’s overall appeal: he wasn’t good-looking in the classic Hollywood sense, but it didn’t matter: he was the type liked by both girls and men; and his acting style was understated, so it looked like he wasn’t acting.

Unlike OUaTiA, it also has the underrated Walton Goggins :D

Lightworker and Mazzy like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not a group, but I LOVE the opening walking scene with opening credits he did with Jackie Brown. Opens the film nicely, and you get the feel for the lead character with no dialogue. Nice.

20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

True, but definitely more realistic (according to historical FBI crime stats) than Dick Wolf's Law & Order TV franchises have been lately...where every criminal turns out to be a Wall Street type or a 'white supremicist', and every terrorist is revealed to be a an evangelical Christian.

21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Agreed.

22. Melvin M Melvin

Melvin M Melvin Well-Known Member

Further to Mark Kermode’s views on ‘Once’: In Friday’s ‘Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review' on BBC Radio 5 in the UK, a mail was read out from ‘Jerry in Dundee’. I’ve done my best to type this from listening to the podcast. I’m not saying I agree or disagree, simply presenting as heard:

The email, read by Mayo: ‘Back to the Bruce Lee story… I feel I’ve something different to add, to which I bring some passing knowledge and might offer some alternative context. I feel that both the view that this is a ‘cheaply-won racially stereotyping laugh’ [sic] and that it throws a particular light on Cliff’s character, missed the point; and that there are fairly obvious clues that Quentin has laid out for the initiated.

The scene itself plays out like vaudeville comedy, with Bruce pontificating extravagantly before rising to the bait of Cliff’s studied indifference. Lee always talked about, and treated, his films as theatre, which we know were Inspired by classical Chinese theatre. And Quentin uses this scene to exemplify this, but in a ‘western’ context, providing us with a Gung Fu fight that plays more like a professional wrestling bout. It’s not about turning Bruce into a pantomime villain, but it’s about allusion to the Gung Fu movies that he made as grand pantomime.

We know this to be the case, because later in the film we see a brief clip, from across the pool, of Bruce practicing some moves; but these are very different moves, apparently simple, economical and low-key: almost unnoticeable Bruce Lee, with no accompanying pontifications. This is because these are introductory moves from Bruce’s own martial arts style. What we see in these two juxtaposed scenes is Quentin’s tribute to Bruce and his legacy, including his films, and one which he clearly has a significant amount of inside knowledge of…’

Mayo: so its quite a technical email but I thought it was interesting that maybe Tarantino is aware of some part of the Bruce Lee story that hasn’t been reported.

Kermode: That’s very convincingly argued – Thank you – that’s a really sharp email and I haven’t heard anyone put that point of view before, so thank you very much. .

Ghostworld and Lightworker like this.
  23. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

That’s a great pic, one of the best I’ve seen from the film.

Been listening to the soundtrack again today, amazing.

willwin likes this.
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Not "woke" enough for the Academy. Something of badge for artistic integrity to me these days...

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dan C likes this.