Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It's playing again locally here but it says it is 161 minutes long.
    I hope someone got lazy and didn't update the copy, I'll probably go Mon or Tues

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

3. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

4. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

ad180 likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

6. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Fnally saw this movie. (And have read this whole thread.)

Cycling through Hollywood a few times last year I saw that Hollywood Blvd. had been totally closed and from a favorite nearby hill I could see that something big was going on down there. Online, I learned that it was for QT's new film and, reading that it concerned the Manson murders, became more interested. I'd been very much looking forward to the opening, but that turned out to be a week after I left the U.S. for Thailand this summer. (For a minute I thought of changing our tickets!)

It actually opened in Thailand about a month ago but I wanted to see it with friends back in L.A., so I just waited. Last Sunday we finally saw it here in Burbank.

Outstanding -- loved it! One of QT's best. Leo and Pitt are both outstanding -- especially Pitt, IMO. I found the movie to be extremely entertaining and the time flew by. I have no problem with the "revisionist" ending -- the story is a fable, after all, and for me it works very well as a "what if". I think the Spahn Ranch scenes are the best part of the movie and I think Bruce Dern was just right as George. And Pitt -- wow, that was one of his finest movie sequences, ever.

The cinematography is eye candy throughout and the dialog is great fun. Someone said that the great thing about characters in QT movies is that you can help just wanting to hang out with them. That sure is true of this film.

My only minor complaint is that to me, some of the Lancer and Bounty Law segments went on a but long. Leo's scenes with the little girl were excellent but overall, I felt that some of that stuff added little and could have been left out. But that's a minor quibble.

Pacino was barely recognizable (appearance-wise, at least) but his meeting with Rick at Musso & Frank's is important to set up the story, and his big brassy larger than life personality was a great way to kick things off.

Some commented many pages back that the film looked dark. My wife and I thought so too. In fact I mentioned this to a staffer at the Burbank AMC 6 where I first saw it, and then decided to see it again at the Arclight Hollywood. I wanted to see it again, but I also wanted to see if it would look much different. The picture at Arclight was far superior, but it still looked a little dark, so I think that's part of the look of the film.

And the soundtrack is a blast.

I believe all the local screenings have ended for now I've pre-ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon and can't wait to watch it at home. I'll probably view this a dozen times in the next year or two.

trumpet sounds, budwhite, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  7. alexpop

little girl ?
    I would have preferred to see Tim Roth playing a butler.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Collector's Edition
    • Premium, collectible packaging
    • Exclusive NEW MAD Magazine parody of the Rick Dalton TV series “Bounty Law,” Lousy Law
    • 45 vinyl record with 2 songs from the film’s soundtrack & turntable adapter
    • Collectible, vintage poster
    • Blu-ray Exclusive Special Features:
    Quentin Tarantino’s Love Letter to Hollywood
    • Bob Richardson – For the Love of Film
    • Shop Talk – The Cars of 1969
    • Restoring Hollywood – The Production Design of Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood
    • The Fashion of 1969
    • Also Includes:
    7 Additional Scenes
    The 2-disc 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray Collector’s Edition comes with premium collectible packaging and includes an all-new, exclusive mini edition of MAD Magazine – inspired by the film – a 45 vinyl record with two of the soundtrack’s grooviest tunes (complete with turntable adapter), and a collectible vintage poster from the film.

[​IMG]

Jrr, swedwards1960, Dayfold and 4 others like this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Nice

10. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

curios which songs are on the blue vinyl.
    Im thinking one of the tracks is the Leo track on hullabaloo

11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I am *SO* in on this!

Jrr and willwin like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The 7 additional scenes add up to 20 mins apparently, an extra 20 mins when where talking about a possible 4 hour cut, quite poor that for the price of the set.

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not exactly a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood spoiler thread but something that I thought was interesting and somewhat relatable to what happened in the Altobelli home, where Sharon and Roman lived, after the movie took place.

It concerns Olivia Hussey, who played Juliet in the 1969 Franco Zeffirelli production of Romeo and Juliet, when she was fifteen years old.

[​IMG]

Olivia with her co-star Leonard Whiting.

[​IMG]

Since the movie, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, has had recent publicity, here is a connection that Olivia Hussey has with Sharon Tate and the Altobelli home, where Sharon and Roman lived at the time.

Hussey recalls her brief conversation with a pregnant Sharon Tate, who, along with her husband, Roman Polanski, were renting the Los Angeles home of Altobelli in the summer of 1969.

“I said to Sharon, ‘Rudy said we’re going to be best friends,’” Hussey says of their phone call. “She told me, ‘I’m so looking forward to meeting you, my baby is coming soon.’ She was so sweet.”

Hussey was planning to move to Los Angeles and into the guest house. “I was going to stay there and I’d get to help Sharon with the baby,” she says. “Then Rudi got the call.”

Then afterward...

But just five weeks after the murders, Hussey, who had summoned up the courage to break up with Jones (her boyfriend), moved into the house.

“People would say, ‘How could you live there?’” she says. “I’d say, ‘In England, most of the houses have horrible memories. It’s not that big of a deal.’”

Says Hussey: “All I felt was Sharon’s vibration. And it was lovely. She’d left an orange scarf and I kept it on my prayer table for years.”

But Hussey’s own nightmare had yet to happen.

One night, Jones showed up at the house and brutally attacked and raped her. “I didn’t know if he was going to kill me,” says Hussey. “My face was like a balloon. I had a bloody nose, my lip was split open, and I had a black eye. It was terrifying.”

Not well known and overshadowed by the other events, but a true story of a cursed home.

14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

See it’s available to stream on Nov 26 , wonder if the extras/additional scenes will be available with the stream purchase?

15. alexpop

Don’t like the art design. But a lot of goodies inside I guess.

16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I saw it for the third time last night. First in IMAX on the day of release, then 35mm, and last night, billed as the Extended Cut.
    As @willwin had already remarked, the additional footage doesn't add anything to the main narrative. It's just bookended with fake commercials before the film starts and some additional Lancer and Bounty Law material after the credits.
    I was glad I'd read this comment, as I think I'd have been very disappointed otherwise, as I was hoping for additional scenes within the film; Trudi on the phone to Rick, Sharon in Jay's salon, etc.
    It was more like getting to see deleted scenes on the big screen. The Bounty Law clip is just a longer version of the Michael Madsen scene in the film.
    By the time the credits had ended, the majority of the audience had left, no doubt feeling short-changed that all they got were the two commercials at the start.

willwin likes this.
  17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Were you only hoping to get these scenes or did you hear/read beforehand that it was possible for these scenes?

18. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Wishful thinking, I suppose. It's obvious from the trailer and production stills that there's a lot of stuff that didn't make the final cut; Sharon at Tommy's hamburger restaurant with Cass and Michelle, Trudi on the phone to Rick, Jay at home, the pool party, extra scenes of Sharon in her car (probably more chat with the hitchhiker), Sharon at Jay's salon.
    I was initially optimistic that they may have inserted some of these back in; not to the same extent of, say, Almost Famous/Untitled, but that the ten extra minutes we'd been promised would be in the body of the narrative.
    As such, I was glad that I knew in advance that it was more a case of deleted scenes being showcased separately on the big screen, rather than extra scenes within the film. I might have felt gypped had I not known that in advance.
    I really love the film, though, so was perfectly happy to see it again.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  19. This touches on something one review I read noted: middle-aged guys in 1969 probably weren't going to be listening to any sort of pop radio. They'd be more inclined to have it on a country station or the like. But of course, total accuracy isn't what QT is after here...

20. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I'm hoping we will get to see the Tim Roth scenes that were cut. I could be wrong but it seems someone said they were in Italy during Roth's parts.

21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The deleted scenes and all the extras available on the Blu Ray are available on the 4K digital purchase as well if anyone is only interested in streaming it.

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The extended cut is showing by me, was wondering will it just be the 7 or 9 deleted scenes that are going to be available on the blu ray pieced into the film ? I’m Sure the deleted scenes on the blu ray add up to 20 mins, and it said on the extended cut in the cinema 20 mins extra as well.

Shawn likes this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Now, before I read pushback that "This is not a Charles Manson thread!",
    this thread and film are now old enough that I feel we can dig a little into
    the case ... just a little.

Some of us are familiar with a new book out by Tom O'Neill,

"Chaos: Charles Manson, The CiA and The Secret History of The Sixties"

"In late July 1969, Manson associate Bobby Beausoleil and two female
    'Family' members killed musician Gary Hinman. Hoping to cast blame
    on the Black Panthers, they’d left the message “Political Piggy” scrawled
    on a wall in Hinman’s blood. On Aug. 8 Beausoleil made a jailhouse call
    to his fellow cultists: He’d been arrested for Hinman’s murder and needed
    'help,' adding, 'Leave a sign.' Manson repeated this admonition to the
    foursome he sent to the Tate house just hours later; the 'sign' took the
    form of 'pig written in Tate’s blood on the front door, presumably in
    the hope that police would think Hinman’s killer was still on the loose."

Without donning our tinfoil hats, O'Neill suggests that Manson and Co
    was following The Serial Killer Playbook: Deflect suspicion away from
    The Hinman Case to peg it on an innocent party. That's it! Simple! No
    "Helter Skelter" BS theories, no Master Race sketches. Just pure and
    simple CYOA machinations.

More "fun" here: Forget What You Think You Know About The Manson Murders - 1A

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  24. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Finally got around to seeing this. Liked up to 'Kill Bill', figured they've all been **** after. Never even got through 'Inglorious Bastards'. Thought OUATIH was a waste of three hours. Self-indulgent crap. A few good scenes. Had no problem with 'the Bruce Lee scene'. I figured it was all in Cliff's head. Here's hoping Tarantino sticks to 'one more film'. He's... just... so... cool. Let's have quick-changing, fifteen second scenes of driving so we can hear how cool and varied Tarantino's record collection is. Hollywood films about the travails of Hollywood are usually ****. I'm sure people can point out exceptions to this. I enjoyed seeing Margot Robbie's legs in lieu of any actual character. "Just because you are a character..."

willwin likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gee. Spotted this on shelf of Grocery Outlet. What did this remind me of?

[​IMG]

willwin likes this.