Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw it twice in the theater and came to that same conclusion. And I actually saw a lot of films this year (at least for me).

I think that was pretty much the point of that scene: the whole movie goes in one direction, but then takes a hard left turn when Cliff visits the Manson Family out in Chatsworth. And every single oddball story point in the film -- Cliff's extreme fighting ability, the LSD-contaminated cigarette, the killer trained dog, the flamethrower, the cans of dog food, the seemingly random meetings of certain characters -- every one of these random things ultimately had a deliberate story point that made sense at the end. And the fact that there was so little violence in the film until the last 10 minutes made it hit that much harder.

I thought the tension of Cliff's visit to elderly George Spahn in the back room was scary as hell, too. That's an amazing scene, and little touches like the source music on the constantly-playing TVs add a lot to it.

This is a very, very skillfully-made film and anybody who thinks it's boring or doesn't catch the little interesting details that fly by every so often just isn't paying attention. And I also thought the final shot of the film was very sad, touching, and poignant in many ways. Tarantino's films sometimes move at a breakneck pace, but I was amazed that he had the courage to hang on a single shot for a solid 2 or 3 minutes before the ending credits, just to let that moment sink in. And it did, at least for me and my friends who saw the film together.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Stormrider77, willy, Daryl M and 14 others like this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The collectors edition is selling out fast everywhere.

alexpop likes this.
  3. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Just snagged a collector's edition tonight. It was the last one...the manager said she was thinking about getting it, thank goodness for laziness lol.

Carl80 likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Got the 4K Blu-ray and look forward to watching all the extra crap tonight.

I want to train our Bengal cat to be as ferocious with intruders as Brandy the Dog in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Carl80 likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks like the dvd for me. Don’t like the art design.

Carl80 likes this.
  6. alexpop

Dvd got all the extra crap as well ( or interesting crap ..hopefully)?

7. alexpop

What’s it look like ?

8. clashcityrocker

[​IMG]

Yayastone and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

Must admit looks good !!!!

10. clashcityrocker

Thanks for this or I wouldn't have gone to the store last night. Cheers mate!!

Carl80 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, 25 minutes of additional scenes (a lot of the Western stuff, including a long conversation with Rick and the director), and some extra Lancer bits. The short Manson scene is not great, but it does explain a few things and I think could have been left in the final film without any real problem.

The making-of docs are too short (for me), but they show a lot of extraordinary work done on the costumes, the sets, the cars, the cinematography, and so on. I wish they had shown the work done on the editing, the VFX, and the color, all of which were really well-done.

The film looks exceptionally good in 4K HDR. It's a state-of-the-art demo, as far as I'm concerned. Fantastic mix, too. The punches and crashes in the final fight scene knocked me off my chair. (Actually my bed, since I was lying down at the time.)

Purple Jim, Dan C, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  12. alexpop

VFX“?

Ironic as pre Blu Rays... Some DVDs used to have a extra disc one disc being the film the other disc ..highlighting making of the film, effects.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that's what I mean. There were months of VFX work on Once Upon a Time, mostly erasing contemporary cars, taking out some of the post-1969 tall buildings in LA, deleting modern billboards, and so on. 48 people are listed on John Dykstra's VFX crew, so I don't think they were sitting on their a$$es doing nothing for months on end.

It also took the better part of 8-9 months to edit the film, and I think a discussion with veteran editor Fred Raskin (who had previously worked on several Tarantino films) would shed a lot of light on the process. Sound, too. They covered the cars, the props, the locations, and the photography, but not so much on the elements I just mentioned. Hell, a discussion with Tarantino on the music in the film would be very interesting, because he chooses some off-the-wall minor hits that you rarely even find in compilations, let alone in movies.

The extra crap was only on the Blu-ray and not the 4K Blu-ray disc, most likely because the 4K Blu-ray already had all the space taken up by the movie itself. They generally give you two discs with a 4K release.

14. alexpop

X -Men ( 2000) was the first i can recollect that had green screen featurette on the second disc. Old DVDs were more lavishly packaged.

15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

There are plenty of podcasts out there with QT discussing the soundtrack.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I can't believe the collectors edition sold out That quick. Unreal.

17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I just rang my local HMV and they had one left and have reserved me one to collect! Thought I’d ring on the off chance, great stuff as the prices are starting to get daft now.

18. Macman

Macman Senior Member

That shouldn't be too difficult. Cats can't resist chasing balls. :angel:

19. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I just watched it this afternoon. I liked the movie, I always like Brad Pitt, and DiCaprio is good too. It was fun, which is all I ask, but I thought it could have used more editing. Some scenes went unnecessarily long to me: Rick shooting some of the western movie scenes where he flubs his lines, Rick talking to the child actor on the porch, etc...

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

saw it in the theater and bought the blu-ray today.. figured i'd only watch the first hour right now as it's so long, but before you know it, end credits are rolling. what a great movie!

Jrr likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...averaging $150 on ebay. What a fluke...I pre-ordered it weeks ago on Amazon. Didn’t occur to me it would become so desired. Hard to believe they won’t run more.

22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I agree. As much as I loved this film, those scenes could have been trimmed without any harm to the film at all

Borgia likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A podcast is not a home video release.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A couple of the best scenes for me!

SKBubba, ad180, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I like the way you can watch selected scenes by the music played.