‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Tarantino's Next

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool...HV will soon follow!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thinking about it Ragnarok is very rewatchable don’t think I could say the same about Endgame or Avengers ( 2012)brilliant/ climax movie. Think for continuity Thor‘s last film is my favourite. So QT‘s quote taken from Empire magazine ( which i have ) is on the money imo.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. Michael

such a fun song...and don't forget Snoopy's Christmas! IN wide stereo!

vince likes this.
  4. Not a bad choice as it didn’t take itself seriously at all.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's HV?

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Home Video. : )

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As. Thor fan, the downfall into comic relief began to bother me —
    a lot - with Raganok.

googlymoogly and smilin ed like this.
  8. alexpop

Noticed QT didn’t mention the X-Men..not MCU I guess. I’m sure he liked Logan.

9. alexpop

MCU Tarantino film.

What super hero movie would he want to do, The Fantastic Four ?

10. alexpop

Favourite Tarantino Movies?

Top 3:

Kill Bill complete saga
    Pulp Fiction
    The Hateful Eight

Really good QT questionnaire /article in this months Empire magazine.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

QT's commentary on this one is very entertaining, too.

alexpop and vince like this.
  12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

He should remake Howard the Duck closer to the books.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Apparently, Kevin Smith & the guy who created "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" are working on said DUCK, for one of those 'streaming services'.

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Some are predicting that it may be one of the biggest films in 2019.

I just don't see it doing that. Too many big films for that to happen?

Being that the budget is estimated to be $95M to $100M, I don't see it as being unreasonable that it might do $300M and make a profit.

I don't think that it would be a good bet to spend more money than this on production.

It will be interesting to see if the bulk of today's movie going audience, being a younger crowd will care about the Sharon Tate thing or anything that took place in Hollywood way back when?

Do people want to see an aging DiCaprio and an aging Brad Pitt? The cast is an really an aging cast. Will they have enough star power between them to bring in the the box office dollars?

Fortunately, a high critical consensus, so far in the low 90%, is sure to help the film enormously.

This is one of those films who will live or die by the critic's. If the critical reviews were not good, I think the film would definitely bomb.

But, then again, Hollywood movies are predisposed to violence...

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

What competition does it have next month? That could be a good indicator.

16. SandAndGlass

Spiderman: Far From Home, Lion King, Midsommer, Dora The Explorer (which looks like an entertaining family live action movie).

But Once Upon a Time... does not open until July 26th, all of these other movies have already opened by that time.

Looking at the beginning of August, Hobbs and Shaw opens on the 1st, Artemis Fowl on the 8th, along with Angry Birds 2.

A lot of movies hitting pre-summer and the beginning of summer, but slacking off later in the summer.

It looks like it is in a good spot date wise.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  17. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

There's no way this film will make $300 in the box office.

His highest grossing film Django Unchained made $163 million (about $181 million in today's dollars.)
    Pulp Fiction's gross adjusted for inflation is $186 million.

I think it's INSANE to think that a 160 minute film about a Hollywood b-actor who stops the Manson family will make $300 million dollars at the box office. INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. SandAndGlass

My personal thoughts align with yours. I think that it is insane to want to sit through a 160-minute movie, generally speaking.

Most people don't seem to want to sit through more than a two hour movie. I don't mind, but that if if the movie really has my full attention.

Avengers: Endgame was 182-minutes (only ten minutes less than Titanic), but you are talking about the conclusion of the most successful movie franchise and something that already had a built-in following.

I have sat through two popular movies this year, at 131-minutes and 110-minutes and I couldn't wait for them to end sooner.

I don't really see the appeal, but people have been predicting since early this year that this would be one of the biggest box office films this year.

I don't see what the attraction is. I was being kind in my appraisal.

I also don't get the attraction of Downtown Abby, but I can't really comment because I have never watched the TV show.

Still, I can't see where a British TV show warrants a major theatrical movie release.

It seems like a cable mini-series would be a better place for something like this?

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The movie audience IMO is still 15-28 year olds...........the group that makes the superhero stuff super sellers.
    I can't see how this will pull them in (as in 100s of thousands) when something bloody like the Nazi movie and Kill Bill didn't pull them in.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

Not only that, but it is full of old people, none of which are current box office draws. Even among the women, the best well known among them might be Dakota Fanning and her last big roll was in the Twilight Saga and that was between 2009 and 2012.

Plus, it is Hollywood and "loosely" historically based (as I understand it).

Nothing about this movie I find, is relatable to the target movie going audiences.

I think that Rocketman attracted a more mature audience and has made a profit, but even it has only make just under 134M to date.

The Green Book is the only other film this year that did well with older audiences and it did an amazingly 320M on a production budget of only 23M.

And it won the Best Picture award!

With $95M to $100M in production costs, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

21. Never understood people bitching upfront about sitting through a long movie. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are bad.

Answer is: it all depends if the director and script work.

Two hours or less is just a studio business wishlist.

Graham and Ghostworld like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wish Robert Altman had made a 4-hour version of Nashville.

ssmith3046, zebop and Mazzy like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Leonardo DiCaprio is an “old actor?” I don’t think of him that way, not Brad Pitt, either, I just think of them as two of the best known actors in the world. Come on. The most beloved actor in the world among young people is arguably Robert Downey Jr. and he’s no spring chicken. My daughter loves wrinkled old Wilem DaFoe!

24. SandAndGlass

Well Leonardo is a spring chicken at 44 compared to a 55 year old Brad Pitt.

Robert is 54, but he is a superhero, so he gets away with it, as far as young people are concerned.

Wilem DaFoe is ancient, at 63 he is just a year behind yours truly.

Check you Leonardo's Titanic screen mate, Kate Windslet, see how different she looks in the Divergent series, and that was five years ago.

Once they were young, but I got to see them in movies when they were young and popular too.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Leo is only 44? No wonder he looks so good.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.