One Album Wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Magic Woman, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Well yes, but only because he died before he could get a second album out.

Spaceboy likes this.
  2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Amy Winehouse is a two album wonder.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Excellent...I'm happy.

4. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Willis Alan Ramsey- only that one great album, I think.

Also, Big Country, The Crossing, is just phenomenal. Though, I know some love their subsequent albums, that one is IT for me.

5. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

6. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think we are looking for one album wonders. I’m amazed that people are simply posting the names of acts with many albums just because they subjectively like only one of them. Either they had only 1 album (preferably) or any other album simply sank without a trace.?

7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Yep, one trick horse

8. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Bad English - s/t debut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hammerpeg likes this.
  9. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Sweet Lizard Illtet. Killer band. Great songs, hard grooves, solid playing all around. Shared a bill with them once, still a big fan. Their one album on Warner Bros is really great. Their singer, player went on to do some cool solo stuff and also playing with/for Peter Murphy for a while. So many great "unknown" bands from that era. Hope some of you will enjoy these guys. Listening to the album now... great stuff!

10. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

11. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

World of Twist. Album: Quality Street

"Madchester"/Alt - Psychedelic Dance-Poo-Rock. Guitars & Synths.

Oasis' Noel Gallagher has reported he wanted to name the band, Sons of The Stage after W.O.T. song, which Beady Eye did do slammin' cover of as a B-side (in vein of Oasis' sometimes best songs being B-sides); it's available on the Deluxe Different Gear, Still Speeding & The Godfather Records' Sons of the Stage CD.

The band/album have achieved cult status. Sadly, lead singer Tony Ogden (R.I.P.) some speculate, suffering a nervous breakdown, went into seclusion. A decade later, formed another band, only to die short time later.

And, The Rolling Stones "She's A Rainbow" cover :
    World Of Twist - She's A Rainbow (The Rolling Stones Cover)

OptimisticGoat and HeavensAbove like this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

13. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

maybe for a bit but I think he came back nicely with self titled and 33 1/3 to escape this category

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

[​IMG]

Just imagine if he had been on point and not flailing around after the beatles.

16. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This. Dif Juz had previous ep's, a couple mini albums, and a later compilation, but "Extractions" was their debut full-length, and unfortunately their last. I see a few of the former members involved in other projects, but never again as a band. Nothing else sounds like this album...

17. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Not counting What's the Story Morning Glory? I think that's the one most US listeners know.

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

You missed their best years then

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

This group was quite obscure/not legendary, but their sole album was excellent. Was disappointed that they did not release anything else besides the odd b-side.

[​IMG]

20. Monsterzero

Monsterzero Down at Dino's Bar & Grill

AFAIK this was the one and only,which is sad.

21. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Yes! An old fave! Here's another track/video, starring Bob Stanley from Saint Etienne:

22. LilacTeardrop

Oasis a one-album wonder?! :eek::shake: (Oh...my heart!!) Surely you're joking (although I don't see any wink &/or laugh emoji to suggest that).
    This is Definitely, Not Maybe one thread Oasis should never appear on. :tsk: Suggest exploring Oasis' entire catalog.

Yes, I'd heard that above World of Twist song; reminded of New Order on that one.
    Good post-thanks! I have Quality Street CD...bought it, ummm, 2 or 3 years ago. I float among decades & genres.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  23. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Some ridiculous choices here. Shall we start again?

ARK and Colocally like this.
  24. LilacTeardrop

Did post ~ Will add this since it's a thread where it totally fits!!! :winkgrin::rolleyes:

A Thing Called Divine Fits - Divine Fits
    (Superduo of Britt Daniel - Spoon & Dan Boeckner - Wolf Parade)...
    Phenominal! Maybe they'll reunite for another, but, especially for these musically creative giants, maybe the brilliance lies partially in doing one only. They bring out the best in each other & look to have a great time while doing so. Posted full album clip, but if interested, recommend viewing D.F. on KEXP on youtube, as well. I don't know what Sneaky Pete (mentioned on youtube comments, is; figuring some TV show. While I didn't know from the time of its' release, I learned of after researching Britt Daniel, not knowing Spoon previously, either. Only from catching Britt Daniel's fantastic performance of I Me Mine from Georgefest, 2014. (link @ bottom of post.)

Will also add All The Pain Money Can Buy - Fastball. Even though Some Might Say one-hit wonder w/song off it, The Way. I think album's pretty well known for additional hits, as well, i.e. Out of My Head, Sooner or Later. Band has continued releasing new material, latest being last year, but none w/the acclaim or fame as this.

Britt Daniel/Georgefest:
    George Fest - I Me Mine [Official Live Video]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  25. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Operation Ivy- Energy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.