One Day at a Time. I hate it but can't stop watching (Discussion of 2017 reboot added at page 5)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Ugh, yes I have heard of some of those. I've also seen some Martin Scorsese films.

2. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

This makes me want to try and watch those shows now!

3. PlushFieldHarpy

At first I didn't know what you meant by cinematic comedies, but then I thought of HBO shows like Girls and Curb Your Enthusiasm, -because network sitcoms are totally dead. I don't subscribe to HBO but I've seen Girls and think it's very funny. But it is very Seinfeldian. Especially in the sense that all the people are sort of awful and types that you would never want to hang out with in real life.

4. PlushFieldHarpy

You might be disappointed.

5. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I really want to watch this show again to see why it's so hated! LOL But I must admit, from what I remember about the show, I liked Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli, but I found Bonnie franklin somewhat unlikable and icy.

I'm more into the '80s sitcoms. I recently bought the "Family Ties" and "Gimme a Break" complete sets. I think Family Ties was very good for its first few seasons. When Ellen leaves and Andy is born is when the show starts to dip in quality for me. And I am still surprised at how funny "Gimme a Break" is. Nell Carter was a true force and had great comic timing and chemistry with the cast, especially Dolph Sweet who played the Chief. The last season is astoundingly awful though.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

Family Ties will be on Antenna TV in September..

Keith V likes this.
  7. phenri

phenri Forum Resident

These shows may be of high quality, but they also have one thing in common; you have to subscribe to some type of pay TV to watch them. I haven't paid for TV since the 90s, so I have never seen them.

70s TV was free!

seed_drill, chilinvilin and Gumboo like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All available on home video, all available via streaming. You don't know what you're missing. The Sopranos, The Wire, Homeland, and Breaking Bad are among the very best TV series ever made. (Treme, not so much, but it's done OK.)

Dan C likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

10. DLD

DLD Senior Member

We watched nearly every episode back in the day. Why?

A), It was decent, for the times, characters weren't generic, writers imbued them with distinct, individual, traits and,
    B), There was no cable. With 4 channels to choose from. this was the best available during its time slot. Can't remember the options tho

McKenzie Phillips being fired during the middle of the show's run was a pretty big thing back in the day

Keith V likes this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

eddiel likes this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Can't used (B) as excuse. I started watching when there were a lot of options. Although, I used to watch it in the late afternoon/early evening time slots :)

I liked a lot of those 70's shows (I was watching in the 80's). They felt different. Grittier, bit of a life is rough vibe that attracted me to them. That might sound dumb in relation to this show, but it felt that way. Divorced mon, two kids on her own in a small apt, toughing it out.

I think I mostly watched it for Schneider though.

Gumboo and Keith V like this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yikes. As per usual, they're just taking an IP and rebadging it for marketing purposes. I like Rita Moreno but I wish they didn't get her to do a fake accent like that.

Darksolstice likes this.
  15. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Today I was working from home and saw that One Day At A Time was playing on TV (sandwiched between The Flying Nun and Designing Women!) Having not seen ODAAT since I was about ten years old (early 80s) I figured I would watch it and see how it held up. Not surprisingly, it was highly dated. Interestingly, the network today played the very last episode back to back with the very first (don't know why they did it in order).

But gosh Valerie Bertinelli was young in the early episode! She was probably 15, years before she would meet Eddie Van Halen. Mackenzie Phillips was just as annoying as I remember her. The biggest surprise was Bonnie Franklin...she was only like 32 at the time of the first episode and I thought she was relatively attractive, with nice legs. As a kid I always thought she was ugly.

And Schneider was...Schneider. Actually, the last episode featured him moving down to Florida (?) where decides to raise his niece and nephew. It was supposed to be a "backdoor pilot" to a spinoff show, but CBS passed on it.

zebop, Dan C and beccabear67 like this.
  16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There always seemed to feel like an undercurrent of tension on that show. It was a decent sitcom.

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

zebop and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I loved the show when it was originally aired. I was a huge fan! When season one was released on DVD ten years ago I bought it immediately. On my next day off I watched five or six episodes. I still love the show! It seems to be a show that entertains me in the right way. I can't say it's a perfect show but it's a great show for me. I have said many times to people throughout the years that when you watch a movie or show, you have to suspend reality. You have to enjoy it for what it is. This is why I love the show & have plans to buy the entire series after the holidays. I can understand those of you who don't like it because it doesn't meet your needs like another show may & that's OK. To each his own & thank goodness we have those choices.

Benno123 likes this.
  19. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

That's probably the reason I couldn't watch it as a kid. It always seemed like the mother was on the verge of killing the older daughter (or vice versa).

driverdrummer and Keith V like this.
  20. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I watched a lot of comedy in my teen years. I would catch One Day At A Time occasionally but even then I considered it a second tier show, not in the stratosphere of The Bob Newhart Show or The Mary Tyler Moore Show, which were my big favorites.

However I did have the (apparently obligatory) crush on Valerie Bertinelli.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Agree with Glenn.

I thought of it as second tier Norman Lear, with Sanford, All in the Family, and the Jeffersons as first tier. And it didn't help with the case changes starting so soon--her love interest was cut after two seasons and things got really convoluted after 5.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Apparently intentional. From the show's Wikipedia page:

<<After Masur's departure, the producers tried going in a different direction. Instead of Ann Romano being romantically involved with a man, it was decided to give Ann a comedic foil. For that role, producer Norman Lear chose actress and comedienne Mary Louise Wilson, who had just completed a successful run on Broadway as "Tessie Tura" in a revival of Gypsy starring Angela Lansbury. Wilson was signed to play Ginny Wroblicki, a cocktail waitress who moves into Schneider's apartment building, and immediately becomes Ann's best friend and confidante. According to her memoir, My First Hundred Years in Show Business, prior to being cast as Ginny, Wilson had never seen One Day at a Time and immediately sat down and watched an episode one night in her apartment. She did not find the sitcom funny at all and was not given a script until the first read-through of her first episode. Wilson also did not take to Franklin "who took her role as arbiter over moral issues very seriously" and who considered herself "our foremost authority on Broadway". She also thought that Harrington's character of Schneider was not funny at all, although she admitted Harrington, himself, was hilarious offscreen. Wilson wrote that "aside from Lear, nobody thought I was funny...To make matters worse each character, according to the show's formula, had to have a 'serious' moral dilemma at some point, and I was given some problem about an illegitimate child to work out in these increasingly sentimental scenes that made my bowels shrink." At the end of the second season of One Day at a Time, Wilson begged her agent to ask Lear to release her from her contract. Wilson later admitted, "I felt terribly wrong to be so miserable. I knew this was the kind of break actors longed for." Wilson was also unaccustomed to working on a sitcom with four cameras in front of a live audience where "you said your line when the red light on the camera went on...and there follows a pause longer than the river Styx before the light on camera four goes on" at which the character you're speaking to says the next line. After the meeting with her agent, Wilson impulsively changed her mind and agreed to stay with the series but it was too late. Her agent had already informed Norman Lear of Wilson's unhappiness. As a result, Lear released Wilson from the show after she had completed 14 episodes, and Ginny Wroblicki was never seen, referred to, or heard from again except in a fifth-season episode ("Retrospective") made up mainly of clips from earlier in the series..>>

Dan C, driverdrummer and Keith V like this.
  23. You mention some of the 70s sitcom highlights (I would add Barney Miller and MASH to that short list). One Day At A Time had Ms Bertnelli who is about a year older than me -so yes, major crush. And Schneider's denim vest was always good for a laugh.

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember McKenzie Phillips being all over the tabloid type press back when the show was on for her heroin addiction and the stress it was causing on the show. The other lasting memory was that the two daughters were into Fleetwood Mac and Elton John and you saw their LPs and posters around.

driverdrummer and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.